doubt about transmission seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• doubt about transmission seals

Hi, I've been working in my Montego and I have several doubts. Rover Montego 2.0 icat

1)Where can I get the two transmission seals?

2)I'm going to change the clutch and it would be convenient to change the crankshaft seals and the gearbox. Does anyone know where to get it?

3)what do you think of this supposedly sporting clutch
    https://m.ebay.es/itm/For-MG-Montego...MAAOSwHMJYNa6j

3)some time ago I heard that there was a screw of the gearbox that turned on the contrary. Is it necessary to remove this screw to disassemble the gearbox of the motor?

5)Finally, what oil should I use to fill the gearbox? what amount of oil should I throw?

1. Gearbox seals are available from Rimmer Brothers UNG100060L one side, If you search that you can also see the other side and main shaft seal as they're the same as a PG1 gearbox, as is the crank seal LUF10002. 3. Its not a screw its a cir-clip securing the countershaft to the gear case behind the access plug 5. Use normal engine oil 10/40 for the gearbox. Cant help you with the clutch
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 12th March 2018, 13:03.
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Are the differential seals the same on both sides?

The seals of the clutch side of the gearbox is the same as seals of the engine crankshaft?

Is this what I need?

Thanks jeff
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20180312-170132.png Views:	1 Size:	32.0 KB ID:	325041

Comment

These are the gearbox oil seals (where the driveshafts slide into the gearbox) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-ZR-MG-...YAAOSwBahU9wHD

Unless they are leaking you don't need to change them.

Not sure on the crank seal part number - but again unless it is leaking it is best left alone (They can be a pain to fit). If they are leaking you'll see a dribble of oil from the gearbox/engine joint at the bottom.

Oil for the gearbox can be 10w40 changed every 40k or MTF94 which will never need changing.

www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
        www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
        www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Hi, when changing the seals and the clutch I keep losing a lot of gearbox oil, where can I enter the liquid? What is the right level of liquid? it's a Montego 2.0 lxi

Comment

There is a level plug behind the left hand driveshaft., number 16 on the picture here http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group1...bers/index.htm I use MF 94 in mine, there is a list of alternative oils here. https://wiki.seloc.org/a/Gearbox_oil. your gearbox is a PG1. good luck

Comment

thank you very much. When I keyed my Montego to check that the clutch was properly mounted I was very scared because it made a very strange noise, I thought it was a bad assembly of the clutch, then I thought about filling the oil in the box and the noise has disappeared. Was it due to the lack of gear change oil?

Comment

Originally posted by Juanmacandel View Post
                thank you very much. When I keyed my Montego to check that the clutch was properly mounted I was very scared because it made a very strange noise, I thought it was a bad assembly of the clutch, then I thought about filling the oil in the box and the noise has disappeared. Was it due to the lack of gear change oil?
                quite likely, they get a bit noisy if oil is low, if it is quiet now, should be ok

Comment

Working...
                X