No announcement yet.

WANTED: Maestro/Montego 1.3/1.6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ralph I'm trying a few last things on the car, then i will admit defeat! it now runs and fills the driveway with grey/black smoke. A few people have given me great advice on what to do list and this is almost complete (I don't like to admit defeat) I have reversed the LE today whilst it was in the mood for running and the clutch is very high and there is spongy brakes (something I already knew about). I will add some pictures on monday of the car, I've peeled back some of the halfords car seat covers and the original seats are very tatty and black. Lots of plastic brown trims is either damaged or is missing. The two rear doors and tail gate are rust free, the tailgate does have a dent. Cills are all good. One wheel arch has had a piece of plate welded onto it. The major fault is the engine, why it is indicating low oil pressure? It could be due to the lack of oil changes it had and overfilling the engine could be quite worn as I have already replaced the rockers and pushrods due to excessive wear.

Ralph you'll be pleased to know the worst of the infection has passed!

Comment

Ralph the car has an mot til 16th october and road tax til end of the month.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Slow View Post
        Now that DOES look nice - have sent an email to the seller. May well ring tonight too...
        Are you going to update us, Sam??
        1983 (Y) MG 1600
        1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
        1987 700 City 1.6 Van
        1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
        1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
        1990 Clubman D
        1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

(all Maestros)

Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

Comment

By all means Paul!

After some thought, a few emails, and having slept on it, I decided that this car probably isn't the one for me. It looks decent enough, but having come back to it in my head over the last few days it hasn't 'grabbed' me like it did when I first saw it. Going to leave this one I think.

This decision was prompted in part by a couple of other leads I've been given, which could be more promising - watch this space.
          Sam Skelton

RED995R - Triumph Stag - Once shot by Sir Patrick Stewart.
          E225CMV - Austin Montego 2.0HL - "Like an MG on weed!"
          H475PDA - Rover Montego DSLX auto - Possibly unique
          J615NJU - SAAB 9000 2.3 Turbo - Replacing gearbox. Then selling..
          L384WRH - Citroen XM TCT SEi auto - The Starship Francoprise...
          OV02MZY - Volvo V70 T5 SE - Replaced by above. For sale soon.
          PA02DXB - Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE auto - Bought because it was cheap. Fleet getting out of hand now.

Comment

Good luck with it Sam looking forward to seeing what you come up with...
            Howard Millin

Currently own
            1991 J303KFW " Maggie " Rover Maestro 1.6 LX
            2006 B20HJM " Tommy " Mini Cooper ( British Racing Green )

Previously owned
            1969 RDB820H Vauxhall Viva
            1974 GEH154N Ford Consul
            1982 YBA128Y Ford Fiesta
            1985 C405DBA Ford Fiesta
            1964 " Mrs Doyle " Buick Special when resident in the USA

Comment

I've still got my 1.3 Maestro sitting here Sam, £300 buys it.
              1985 Austin Maestro 1.3 Base (B662 DVX)

Comment

Not really a fan of metal bumper cars tbh!

But it's a fairly early Base model - could you email me a few hi-res pics and a bit more info? If it's got all those unique Basey bits like a lack of a glovebox I could be tempted!
                Last edited by Captain Slow; 19th October 2011, 13:22.
                Sam Skelton

PA02DXB - Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE auto - Bought because it was cheap. Fleet getting out of hand now.

Comment

So you know, it only cost me £500 last year to insure my maestro turbo on classic insurance via lancaster and i was only 21. So you could potentially afford to bump up to an MG engine size if you wish?

Comment

Lancaster didn't want to know with me. I think the fact that you were 21 is important - it's the point where many start offering classic policies, whereas I'm only 20 and thus the choice is limited. Plus, was it insured as a main or second car?

Peter James are the only company that will give me decent quotations and they'll cover 1.3, 1.6, and (at a push) 2.0 carb for me. I haven't asked re. EFi or Turbo because I know they'll be seriously stretching the budget (to a point where it wouldn't be viable).
                    Sam Skelton

Comment

another one for your consideration

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180743523963

Comment

Cheers Steve - the only problem with that one is it's automatic. Much as I can be heard extolling the virtues of the slushbox in bigger stuff, I don't really want an automatic Maestro.

It's on my watch list though - and you never know!

There's also a 1.3 Mayfair on eBay but I think the owner is in cloud cuckooland about the price. Apparently the eBay classified is to cover his costs (Which suggests he bought it at top dollar and then spent money on it - and it isn't perfect so I doubt that) and he has it elsewhere for £2500. Personally, I think it's only very special cars that can currently command what he's asking for that on eBay...
                        Sam Skelton

Comment

Working...
                        X