Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CPL593H View Post
    im not sure how this has all come about,

we have a person who has been let down by the owner and a person who has paid for a car that I was told was free.

serves me right for trying to help, next time i'll be less likely to help these garage finds get new owners

its all irrelevant now, as at the end of the day, a montego has found a good home.
    No keep posting up as at least the car survived this way.

Comment

Originally posted by CPL593H View Post
      im not sure how this has all come about,

we have a person who has been let down by the owner and a person who has paid for a car that I was told was free.

serves me right for trying to help, next time i'll be less likely to help these garage finds get new owners

its all irrelevant now, as at the end of the day, a montego has found a good home.
      I apologise if my earlier reply was out of line and offended you.

its the previous owner that has wound me up, not you, not hairyone.
      As I already said its gone to a better home where it will be saved and pulled apart for the benefit of my mg's.

Perhaps we should all be more open with our intentions when these cars are posted up and just concentrate on saving them ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by turbo_stu View Post
        I apologise if my earlier reply was out of line and offended you.

its the previous owner that has wound me up, not you, not hairyone.
        As I already said its gone to a better home where it will be saved and pulled apart for the benefit of my mg's.

Perhaps we should all be more open with our intentions when these cars are posted up and just concentrate on saving them ;-)
        it certainly sounds like there has been skullduggery going on but the important part is that the 2 key players are both happy and its the right outcome for the car.

You must keep posting these things up here as there have been many good cars found homes this way!
        1989 Montego Mayfair EFI
        1989 BMW 316i
        2013 BMW 320d Touring
        2014 Nissan Leaf. Shhhhhh

Treasurer
        Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Well i will not bother again i have paid for a car that was free and it needs at least an engine rebuild or a new One the way i feel now it will get stripped for parts and weighed in to get some Money back

Comment

Originally posted by hairyone View Post
            Well i will not bother again i have paid for a car that was free and it needs at least an engine rebuild or a new One the way i feel now it will get stripped for parts and weighed in to get some Money back
            Bugger - whats the rest of it like - body etc?
            1989 Montego Mayfair EFI
            1989 BMW 316i
            2013 BMW 320d Touring
            2014 Nissan Leaf. Shhhhhh

Treasurer
            Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

there's a few bits I could do with then if you end up stripping it
              Surely if its only been in the garage a dew years there must have been an engine issue in the first place for it to now knackered in a relatively short time. What I mean is it feels like she's been a bit deceptive about it.
              I assume you haven't had a chance for a proper investigation yet?

Comment

If the rest of the car is worth saving I will be able to help out with a low mileage 1.6 lump. Will include all ancillaries and gearbox if that helps. Really good runner as it did 650 miles last week.

Will be available next month.

Let me know if its any use.
                Current Fleet.

1981 Metro 'S'
                1985 Metro MG Turbo

1986 Maestro MG (GOING TURBO)
                1989 Maestro MG Turbo '#370'

1988 Montego MG Turbo 'SAD'
                1988 Montego MG Estate 'F700'

1995 Land Rover 110

2004 Rover Streetwise Td

Comment

Originally posted by bodgit0_0 View Post
                  If the rest of the car is worth saving I will be able to help out with a low mileage 1.6 lump. Will include all ancillaries and gearbox if that helps. Really good runner as it did 650 miles last week.

Will be available next month.

Let me know if its any use.
                  That is a nice offer, would be good to save the car.

Comment

To be fair it is worth saving but i have had such a bad week then to be told i paid for a free car has Really peed me Off.I only it got to keep me busy and to bond with my kids to take my mind Off the fact i finaly Lost my mum to cancer on friday morning and it has got me harder than i thought,the car will get done just need to sort myself out first.i may take you up on the offer of a spare engine once i have give the car a proper going over
                    Cheers
                    Mick

Comment

sorry to hear about your mother.
                      maybe get the funeral over and maybe when you feel
                      things start getting beter. you can get back to your project
                      for your kids. best wishes dave

Comment

Kids have cleaned the car and to be fair its pretty good looks like it has has new arches at some time.engine wise got the head of and the bores look fine but engine is still locked solid.when i get five mins i might take the sump of and have a look in side.any got any ideas why it could still be locked up
                        Cheers
                        Mick

Comment

The Garage find 1.6 I have here had a similar issue, low miles and long term storage did it no favours.

You need to soak the bores in a light oil for a week and gentle "rock" the pistons by using a socket and bar on the crank pulley bolt.

The rings will have "stuck" to the cylinders, and unless your careful you will snap the rings and damage the walls.

Mine was very "tight" but turned, so for your's I would suggest a hot oil treatment seeing as you have the head off.
                          take an old or cheap saucepan and heat up some new engine oil.
                          Once starting to "simmer" take off heat and pour slowly into the cylinders to just below the top of the block. if two pistons are fully "up" use a spoon to "administer" the hot oil around the edges allowing it to seep down.

Leave until cold, and you should see the levels have fallen and the level on the dipstick rise. check to see if you have movement(gently) and repeat as needed until fully free.

This will not only help free off the engine, but will also aid in cleaning out any cruddy oil in the cylinders/pistons and lower bores, as the hot oil mixes with the sump oil it will also loosen up any debris in the sump.

Prepare to have a large washing up bowl / bucket for dropping the oil out.

Mal.
                          Last edited by MG MAL; 16th September 2013, 06:37.

Comment

Thanks for the information mal will give it a try in the week

Comment

how about useing some penertrating oil if the bores are rusty

Comment

Update pleased to say bottom end is now free and spinning fast enough to put the oil light out.checked the bores and they are perfect.just got to decoke and refit the head and touch wood it will be good to go

Comment

Working...
                                X