Montego Anti Roll Bar Bushes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Wanted] Montego Anti Roll Bar Bushes

I need two anti roll bar outer end bushes urgently - my Montego is off the road until I can obtain a pair. Can anyone help point me in the direction of a source of supply, please? Or better still, provide them yourself. Part number is NAM 6857.

Looks like this item is "no longer available from the usual sources but you may be lucky and find someone on this site who may have old stock.

However, It is worth doing a search on "anti roll bar links" and you will find a detailed thread called "Anti Roll Bar Link" by "oseerees" which looks at using a similar part from a VW Golf.

This may be the only way forward.
    Last edited by carfix; 8th May 2015, 09:55.

Comment

The quick way to get the car back on the road or mot'd is to remove the front anti-roll bar entirely. This WILL affect the handling but is perfectly safe as some models came without them.

The VW items have a problem in that the anti-roll bar needs sleeving to fit and if you read oseerees thread you'll notice that his sleeve worked itself off of the bar which is the primary problem with these. Rimmerbros used to supply the bushes that one of the guys on here made, but they appear to be out of stock currently. Worth a call to see when they think they'll be due back in. http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-NAM6857POLY

I've made my own items and if the original has failed in the usual manner(i.e. the bolt has broken from the tube), then it is often possible to re-weld the bolt back on.

It is next on my list of bits to look at re-manufacturing!
      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Hi Dan - can you not fit a larger sleeves lengh ways and tack weld them into place to completely stop them moving? I can't see why this wouldn't work and is a very cheap 100% solution.

www.mgmaestroturbo.com Home of the Twincharged Maestro.

2014 Vauxhall Mokka 4x4 Turbo - Tech line

Comment

I think Powerflex still do polyurethane ones:
          http://www.powerflex.co.uk/road-seri...+20mm/351.html

There are no products listed under Montego, but all for Maestro, which will be the same.

Ian
          Ian Drew
          MG Maestro Turbo '400'
          MG ZT V8
          Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Hi Ian,

I think the Powerflex items you referenced are for the bush (NAM 5694) in the roll bar mounting bracket. They are available ex Rimmers and in stock for a few £

NAM 6857 are the anti roll bar links at the end of the roll bar.

Ian
            Last edited by carfix; 8th May 2015, 13:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Brock View Post
              Hi Dan - can you not fit a larger sleeves lengh ways and tack weld them into place to completely stop them moving? I can't see why this wouldn't work and is a very cheap 100% solution.
              I can see the logic to that, but welding to spring steel is generally a no-no in terms of weld and fatigue performance. Generally either the bar will break there or the weld will fail. If the bar failed whilst cornering (which is when it'd be under highest stress), the results could be catastrophic.

Comment

Ah right never thought of that evidently Again how about an over sized sleeve length wise with slots cut into it then held with jubilee clip? I'm sure something can be done just to hold it?

Comment

My job is understanding steel so don't worry, most people won't have thought of it either.

There are other disadvantages to using the golf units as they are narrower and have a softer mounting method than the originals as well as having too large a centre diameter.

I've got ideas for replacements which will work (indeed I cobbled together some for mine which will be installed shortly). I'll come up with something that'll work I'm sure.

Comment

I'm going to take my anti-roll bar down to my engineer shop. In the mean time have a look at Ross picture from his rally maestro build thread how that's been done. The sleeve is way thicker than I first thought - but it really doesn't look too difficult to stop that sleeve from winding off in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Brock View Post
                      I'm going to take my anti-roll bar down to my engineer shop. In the mean time have a look at Ross picture from his rally maestro build thread how that's been done. The sleeve is way thicker than I first thought - but it really doesn't look too difficult to stop that sleeve from winding off in my opinion.
                      Yes I've got a couple of ideas. It all depends on whether it is easier to make a bush that is a direct swap, or use the golf bush and design something to sleeve it appropriately. I was thinking some sort of grubscrew would probably work

Comment

I was looking at this and planned to still sleeve the VW version but with a penny washer tack welded to it obviously with the penny washer inboard of the bush to stop it drifting off.
                        Current Fleet.

1981 Metro 'S'
                        1985 Metro MG Turbo

1986 Maestro MG (GOING TURBO)
                        1989 Maestro MG Turbo '#370'

1988 Montego MG Turbo 'SAD'
                        1988 Montego MG Estate 'F700'

1995 Land Rover 110

2004 Rover Streetwise Td

Comment

Golf MK 2 links

http://www.micksgarage.com/search.as...=1.8&fffBHP=90

I don't know if this long link will work, but I googled Mk2 golf links and this list looks hopeful. does anyone know the correct dia of the Maestro roll bar? If the link does not work, it was Micks Garage and search mk 2 golf links. Does anything on hear look hopeful ?

Comment

All are too large a diameter. The maestro bar is about 10mm or something like that (would need to dig out my old measurements to check).

Comment

I was at my local engineer shop today seeking advice on how to fix the sleeve from sliding off. Taken on board what dan says about the fatigue issues I was advised to simply extend the sleeve till its flush with the end of the anti-roll bar and weld the end of it. Welding at that end point shouldn't cause fatigue issues that dan described.
                              Last edited by Mike Brock; 11th May 2015, 12:58.

Comment

Working...
                              X