Two maestros in auction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two maestros in auction

Two Maestros in the Mathewsons auction in Feb https://www.mathewsons.co.uk/auction...pp=96&pn=7&g=1 https://www.mathewsons.co.uk/auction...pp=96&pn=2&g=1
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

The MG EFi used to be mine. I sold it about four years ago.

Comment

Hi nick, thought I recognised it.

Comment

Hopefully potential buyers will recognise the rarity of an EFi with the digital dashboard!
        1983 (Y) MG 1600
        1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
        1987 700 City 1.6 Van
        1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
        1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
        1990 Clubman D
        1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

(all Maestros)

Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

Comment

It's an interesting spec. Can't be many digital dash EFis left

Comment

https://www.mathewsons.co.uk/auction...pp=48&pn=1&g=1

I quite fancy a bit of the above. Bought the Rover 800 series: The complete story book for a bit of Xmas time off reading and now I want one Wouldn't mind a VM diesel version but there doesn't seem to be any left never mind for sale. If anyone knows of one, please let me know.
            MG Maestro Turbo #500
            BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
            Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
            Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Nick RS View Post
              The MG EFi used to be mine. I sold it about four years ago.
              I joined up here as I have been searching for an MG Maestro that suited my requirements and budget (either a late 2.0i in flame red like my old car G995 VOU or an early one), I saw this at Mathewsons as I often check their site. I have a bit of a record of buying sight unseen off the internet dubious cars (I have a TVR Chimaera that I bought as a CAT N sight unseen) and tracking down previous owners. It's good I have found an owner before I've bid this time.
              I saw this and though it must be very rare as it must be a really early 2.0 car with the earlier 1600 'plastic' dash and LCD clocks (my love for MG Maestros started with my mates 1600 Twin Carb car OGC 345Y at college in the early 90s') but fitted with the O series 2.0 efi engine, I've seen the plastic dash on other early 2.0's but never the LCD's.
              I'd be interested to understand what bodywork has been carried out over the years as I saw it was noted at MOT's there was the typical corrosion they all suffer and the video shows some corrosion to the lower inner of the drivers door but nothing else.
              What strikes me against some of the cars I've recently seen for sale recently is that the price it would appear to be guided correctly, my wife was warned that should a candidate appear that meets spec and price it may find a new home with us, what makes it better is that it's a PAS optioned car so she can drive it to some meets while I drive the TVR (she reach the pedals or see over the steering wheel in that, before we get to the fact it has no PAS).
              If you or anyone else has any information about this one it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Carl.

Comment

Originally posted by drcarlos View Post

I joined up here as I have been searching for an MG Maestro that suited my requirements and budget (either a late 2.0i in flame red like my old car G995 VOU or an early one), I saw this at Mathewsons as I often check their site. I have a bit of a record of buying sight unseen off the internet dubious cars (I have a TVR Chimaera that I bought as a CAT N sight unseen) and tracking down previous owners. It's good I have found an owner before I've bid this time.
                I saw this and though it must be very rare as it must be a really early 2.0 car with the earlier 1600 'plastic' dash and LCD clocks (my love for MG Maestros started with my mates 1600 Twin Carb car OGC 345Y at college in the early 90s') but fitted with the O series 2.0 efi engine, I've seen the plastic dash on other early 2.0's but never the LCD's.
                I'd be interested to understand what bodywork has been carried out over the years as I saw it was noted at MOT's there was the typical corrosion they all suffer and the video shows some corrosion to the lower inner of the drivers door but nothing else.
                What strikes me against some of the cars I've recently seen for sale recently is that the price it would appear to be guided correctly, my wife was warned that should a candidate appear that meets spec and price it may find a new home with us, what makes it better is that it's a PAS optioned car so she can drive it to some meets while I drive the TVR (she reach the pedals or see over the steering wheel in that, before we get to the fact it has no PAS).
                If you or anyone else has any information about this one it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Carl.
                Nick RS owned this car as you can see on post 2 so you should message him

Comment

Thanks Jeff, I have, but I thought I'd stick up a general post in case the current owner stumbles across this thread like I did.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post

Bought the Rover 800 series: The complete story book for a bit of Xmas time off reading.
                    So did I!
                    1983 (Y) MG 1600
                    1987 700 City 1.6 Van
                    1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
                    1990 Clubman D

(all Maestros)

Comment

Originally posted by drcarlos View Post

You are right, they are very rare. The LCD dash was a £300 option on the MG EFi until the 'Montego' dash was standardised and few owners went for it.

I am really grateful to the first owner of mine, as he ticked most of the options boxes: metallic paint, LCD dash, steel sunroof, electric front windows, rear seat belts. He didn't go for PAS, but I always preferred it that way: I had test driven Maestros and Montegos with PAS and found that there was less feedback from the road surface. Nevertheless I can appreciate that nowadays most drivers are accustomed to PAS and would find driving with unassisted steering very hard work!
                      1983 (Y) MG 1600
                      1987 700 City 1.6 Van
                      1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
                      1990 Clubman D

(all Maestros)

Comment

Hello Carl (drcarlos) I am not sure my PMs are getting sent so if you haven't seen my response drop me a note to and I'll send you notes on what I can remember of the car.

Nick
                        Last edited by Nick RS; 8th February 2023, 17:13.

Comment

I managed to pick up B150 from Matthewsons and have been chatting to the previous keeper. Nick - I definitely recognised the rarity of digidash with early EFi. Lovely car to drive (though that weird coolant warning "surprise" was a tad disconcerting until I'd read the magazine writeup. Loving ownership of my first MG Maestro. And its keeping the other 1.3L and its smaller brothers (2 Metros and an Allegro Estate) company on my driveway.

Comment

Working...
                          X