SOLD 1993 Montego DLX Countryman (7 seater). £750. West Norfolk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOLD 1993 Montego DLX Countryman (7 seater). £750. West Norfolk

1993 Rover Montego DLX countryman (7 seater). 155000 miles.

Best summarised by three S’s – Solid, Scruffy and Smokey.

Nordic blue; although at 30 years old it’s now more 50 shades of blue. Despite this it is surprisingly solid, and requires no welding for MOT - see below. It has had a crude repair at some point to the bottom of the offside b-post, and the rear arches are starting to do what Maestro/Montego arches do.

The interior is fairly tidy, with the headlining starting to sag slightly in the rear and the dashboard having the usual lift and cracking above the instruments.

Most electrics work including the windows and mirrors. The radio (which is about ten years older than the car) isn’t connected, and I haven’t risked testing the sunroof! The battery only holds charge for a couple of days.

It has just failed the MOT on four trivial points (both steering rack gaitors, rear wheel bearing play and headlight alignment) plus excessive smoke! It starts fine and sounds healthy; the MOT tester’s suspicion is turbo oil seals, although don’t take that to be a conclusive diagnosis.

Asking price: £750

Located on the Norfolk/Cambridgeshire border. If interested please come and have a look. Delivery may be possible up to about 80 miles.

Click image for larger version  Name:	L732PNH osf.JPG Views:	33 Size:	227.2 KB ID:	337225

Click image for larger version  Name:	L732PNH nsr 2.JPG Views:	30 Size:	254.9 KB ID:	337224 Click image for larger version  Name:	L732PNH osf interior.JPG Views:	31 Size:	180.5 KB ID:	337223 Click image for larger version  Name:	L732PNH rear seats.JPG Views:	34 Size:	197.4 KB ID:	337222 Click image for larger version  Name:	L732PNH engine 1.JPG Views:	32 Size:	235.1 KB ID:	337226
    Last edited by SWEB van; 25th February 2023, 16:01. Reason: Price reduction.

The original price was very much an asking price with the expectation of being chipped down quite a bit. Now £750 firm to see if that gets anyones interest before resorting to ebay etc. It's a Montego estate which doesn't need welding (at the moment!); if you can sort the smoke or have a spare engine it should soldier on for a while yet.

Comment

Originally posted by SWEB van View Post
      The original price was very much an asking price with the expectation of being chipped down quite a bit. Now £750 firm to see if that gets anyones interest before resorting to ebay etc. It's a Montego estate which doesn't need welding (at the moment!); if you can sort the smoke or have a spare engine it should soldier on for a while yet.
      Seems pretty reasonable, the smoke might be a sticky egr valve, I have seen this on a Prima, think the valve just got replaced, but might be possible to free it off if that is thē problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post

Seems pretty reasonable, the smoke might be a sticky egr valve, I have seen this on a Prima, think the valve just got replaced, but might be possible to free it off if that is thē problem.
        I'm not an expert (although I do have a non-turbo Prima in my Maestro van) but do these really have an EGR valve??
        Last edited by SWEB van; 26th February 2023, 12:05.

Comment

Hi SWEB very interested in your Montego, is it still available? Andrew

Comment

I have access to a trailer for collection, coming from Scottish highlands area.

Comment

Originally posted by Montego260223 View Post
              Hi SWEB very interested in your Montego, is it still available? Andrew
              Hi Andrew

Yes, very much still available. If seriously interested it might be better to switch to email; my address is ado_16 'at' hotmail.co.uk

Thanks

Comment

Have sent an email, thanks.

Comment

I'm not an expert (although I do have a non-turbo Prima in my Maestro van) but do these really have an EGR valve??
                  The later ones had, on your last photo the egr valve is showing about halfway between brake master cylinder and screeneash bottle, the throttle position sensor is the black plastic bit on the injector pump, the actuator is between air filter and suspension turret. The other component is the ecu, which is up behind the glovebox in the passenger footwell, they don't often misbehave, but if it is open when it shouldn't be it will make it smoke.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordiesel77 View Post

The later ones had, on your last photo the egr valve is showing about halfway between brake master cylinder and screeneash bottle, the throttle position sensor is the black plastic bit on the injector pump, the actuator is between air filter and suspension turret. The other component is the ecu, which is up behind the glovebox in the passenger footwell, they don't often misbehave, but if it is open when it shouldn't be it will make it smoke.
                    Thanks, yes, I worked it out this afternoon! Took the EGR off and it isn't stuck. Temporarily blanked it off anyway just to be sure but no difference to the smoke.

Comment

Thanks, yes, I worked it out this afternoon! Took the EGR off and it isn't stuck. Temporarily blanked it off anyway just to be sure but no difference to the smoke.
                      Other 'easy' possibilities are restriction in either inlet or exhaust, the hose from air cleaner to turbo can delaminate & the inside bit of tubing restricts the air flow, if it was the turbo oil seals you'd notice a massive increase in oil consumption....

Comment

Working...
                      X