Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austin Montego 1.6HL

Hi guys

After several weeks of serious thinking and looking at pros and cons, it is with great reluctance that I have decided to sell the HL, as seen on the cover of the current Monstro.

Several reasons for this, mainly because I am working towards buying a house next year and having three cars is just not practical, plus I have the HLS which is the car I wish to restore and keep. I do not have the space that I used to!

I am not in a hurry to sell it so I will not be giving it away and it will not be appearing on Ebay. It is quite possibly the best original and unrestored Austin Montego you will find. Practical Classics are listing the Montego now in Austin form in the price guide and I will be looking for that kind of figure for an example as good as this.

Ofcourse, I am more concerned that it goes to somebody among us, so that it is appreciated (and so that I can make sure it is being looked after :laugh: ).

The car is now officially for sale and I will shortly be placing an advert in the classifieds. Interviews for new ownership will be held in due course! :laugh:

As I said before, I am in no hurry to sell, so if I still have it next year, then thats fine, I will probably mothball it, but I am not going to sell this car short.

If anyone wishes to ask me about this car, please PM me. Alternatively, the car will be at the BL Rally this year.

Cheers
    Ed
    1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS x 2

MONTEGO - THE CAR THAT PUTS THE DRIVER FIRST

Sorry to hear that Ed.

I hope it finds a deserving home.

mal.

Comment

Thanks Mal. If it doesn't find a deserving home, then it will remain with me, i will just more than likely have it dry stored.

Comment

I believed I had made the right decision until five minutes ago when I accidentally put my hand through more supposed "metalwork" on the underside of the HLS. Oh what have I done?! :laugh:

Comment

Well Ed,

If putting the car into dry storage is a viable option for you like you have mentioned - then why not just do that? You don't know how things will pan out in the great space of time between now and when you are looking to buy a house. You may find you can manage with three cars after all. Montegos (generally speaking) don't eat much money - even less if they are being stored!

Don't rush into anything and regret selling it.

Comment

What you're saying makes total sense Rich. Is it madness to sell a mint(ish) car and keep one that needs quite a bit of welding work and respraying?

I've always wanted the HLS but I am not sure if it will ever be as good as the HL.

Comment

Just keep them both. They make an excellent pair. Daft of you to sell the HL, what are you chances of getting another as mint?

...and I am sure you will get the HLS just as good.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed
                I believed I had made the right decision until five minutes ago when I accidentally put my hand through more supposed "metalwork" on the underside of the HLS. Oh what have I done?! :laugh:
                What did you do to the HLS ed?
                1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
                2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

hl

well ed what have you decided to do with th hl ( i understand having to keep 3 cars well 8 in my case i am glad i am now down to 4 which is alot easier than 8.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo
                    What did you do to the HLS ed?
                    It was quite amusing actually. I was showing a friend the rear quarter that was being changed and was showing him the other side saying "This side is totally solid" and as I finished the sentence, I tapped the area at the top of the inner rear arch on the passenger side, and my whole hand went through. I laughed hysterically! :laugh: I then looked at the HL and decided "all was forgiven".

I am now thinking about investing in a welder and learning the skill myself. I won't give up on the HLS as its so rare but it has slowed down the process as I was hoping to get it patched up enough to get an MOT just so that I could bring it to BL. Looks like that won't happen now.

Comment

Originally posted by wee golda
                      well ed what have you decided to do with th hl ( i understand having to keep 3 cars well 8 in my case i am glad i am now down to 4 which is alot easier than 8.
                      I have had a lot of grief at the mention of selling the HL so I revoke my original post! :laugh:

Comment

Well I'm now locked into the restoration of the HLS as I have just invested in four brand new doors! *Bank balance majorly rinsed out*.

So the HLS so far has the following brand new panels awaiting fitment:

4 x brand new doors
                        1 x drivers side complete rear quarter panel including inner sections
                        1 x brand new front bumper
                        1 x brand new rear bumper
                        4 x brand new metric wheel trims and tyres
                        All new external chrome and trims/decals.

All I need now is the welding skills!

Comment

Originally posted by Ed
                          Well I'm now locked into the restoration of the HLS as I have just invested in four brand new doors! *Bank balance majorly rinsed out*.

So the HLS so far has the following brand new panels awaiting fitment:

4 x brand new doors
                          1 x drivers side complete rear quarter panel including inner sections
                          1 x brand new front bumper
                          1 x brand new rear bumper
                          4 x brand new metric wheel trims and tyres
                          All new external chrome and trims/decals.

All I need now is the welding skills!
                          And spraying
                          1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                          1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                          1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                          2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
                          2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                          2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and put your hand in your pocket, splashing out serious dosh if you want to restore the car of your dreams - that's what I did with FRB and it cost £xxxx,xx's yup, thats right well into 4 figures. Once you think you know how much it will cost, double it then add VAT!

Of course it won't be worth it! Well, it will really. No it won't. Ermmm well, ermmm oh dammit you'll have to make your mind up.

As the wife says: "It's only a tin box with 4 wheels"
                            M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
                            Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo
                              And spraying
                              If only! I would love to be able to do the whole lot myself...

Comment

Working...
                              X