Clove Brown Maestro 1.6 Automatic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clove Brown Maestro 1.6 Automatic.

Looks a very good car & an honest advert.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1986-C-Aus...8AAOSwsFpWTvXu

its a bit pricey for a automatic maestro.i had one with lower miles 22.000 but they not very ecomomic to run wth only 3 speed gear boxes

Comment

I've bought it, collecting it on Monday and driving it back to Worcestershire, I hope! I made an offer which I felt was reasonable for the work he's done on it, from talking to him it seems it has everything done that I would need to do to it and seems pretty tidy.

I looked at another (more local to me!) over the weekend who wanted £750 but needed the screen sorting out, lots of paint, had wires hanging out, the headlining was scrap, couldn't tell me if or when the cambelt had been changed, inside was tatty and it needed a new back bumper! Even getting the price down it would still cost a lot to get it to look half decent.

My daughter who will also be driving it has an auto only licence so I haven't much choice in the matter! Autos aren't all that common and can vary wildly in condition and price from what I've seen so far... Also that one has PAS whereas the other didn't!

I'll do a full intro in the welcome section when I get it home!
      Last edited by Hobby; 11th December 2015, 12:51.

Comment

Sounds great! I keep looking at Autos since I seem to spend most of my driving time in traffic jams. Pipe dreams tho, no space :-(

Good luck,

Ian
        Ian Drew
        MG Maestro Turbo '400'
        MG ZT V8
        Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

That looks a lovely example. With the Automatic being a stand-alone model in its own right within the brochures, you got quite a plush level of trim - sort of mid-range. They make for nice places to sit.

That three-speed auto box is a bit naff, though.

Comment

I'll see how I get on with the 'box... We had an Acclaim with the semi auto triomatic 'box a few years ago which was "interesting" and only had two gears and a manual (button!) overdrive!! It'll have a good run down the motorway on the way back which will no doubt tell me a lot, though I don't intend to drive much over 60! Does anyone have the MPG figures or a copy of the brochure I could see?

My Daily is a modern Golf Mk7 TDi with a 7 speed DSG 'box... Let's just say that they have absolutely "nailed it" with that 'box, it's a lovely drive for my daily commute (A roads and city jams)...
            Last edited by Hobby; 11th December 2015, 20:01.

Comment

That does look very tidy

Comment

Welcome along & enjoy the car. Can I sugest if you are using daily invest in a DISCLOK. A worthwile expense.

Comment

I have a Stoplok which I used before, hopefully that will be ok!

Comment

According to the Brochures the Auto MPG (in brackets) compares to the manual as follows.

Urban 31.9 (31.0)
                    56mph 53.3 (43.6)
                    75mph 38.8 (30.4)

From memory, the 75mph figure tended to be closest to what to expect in general driving when the cars were new. I had a Montego 1.6 manual in the 90s remember getting high 30s MPG.

At 3,000 reps you will be doing 60mph in the auto compared to 72mph for the manual 1.6

Comment

Cheers Nick, just got a brochure through the post which had the same details! TBH they don't look much different to the other auto figures for the other cars in the range, with the VAG DSG auto box economy has moved on a great deal since the 80s and even from my daughters 2002 Fabia... I'll see how I get on on the 130 mile trip home on Monday!

Comment

Looks a very tidy car

Comment

Great colour and looks lovely condition. Auto is fine as long as you're not a boy racer!!! Hope you enjoy it.

Comment

It's now back home and ran very nicely, though tickover is a bit rough, it seems to be running at about 700rpm, but the book says it should be 825rpm... At 60/65mph it was running at about 3500rpm and seemed to be fine at that which is ok by me!

It really is as good as it looks in the photos, his description of a "time warp car" fits it very well, and it's a nicer shade of brown than the old Maxi's Russet Brown. Two of the tyres date back to 1992 (I have the receipt!) and I'll replace all four tomorrow to be on the safe side as the other two look nearly as old.

I'll do some photos and put them on the other section as long as the weather is ok.

Comment

PAS and tyres

Choosing a version with PAS was a great move, it's rare on the non MG versions and worth its weight in gold!

I assume you have 165/80/13 tyres. They do look like huge rubber rings in todays world of low profile tyres. I fitted 175/65/13 to my 1.6HLS many years ago and felt it an improvement in looks and composure on the road. They are slightly lower than the original, so won't help the MPG.

Comment

Working...
                              X