Clear All

• Austrian MG Montego

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ADME:B:EF:DE:1
    A closed mouth gathers no foot

Maestro Vanden Plas
    Maestro Camper Van
    Maestro 1.3L
    Fiat 500 Sport 1.3JTD

Nice looking car with low mileage. Can`t understand 99.9% of the listing (blame it on my school) but he appears to be an enthusiast as there`s another one next to it.

Comment

I think it may the guy who sent me the link, who emailed me to ask me for some spares a while back. If so, he is an enthusiast, and has one of the earliest (1984).

Maestro Vanden Plas
      Maestro Camper Van
      Maestro 1.3L
      Fiat 500 Sport 1.3JTD

Comment

It’s worth putting a picture of it up here, for when the eBay link no longer works…That is one nice looking car.
        Attached Files

Comment

Try this link, whith the listing in english.
          Cant help with the german description tho.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...3D50%26fvi%3D1

btw, the car is Austrian

Comment

How rare must that LHD MG-embossed dash-mat be!!!
            Regards
            John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
            MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

I don't think its German. My (bad) German language skills tell me its an Austrian. He says MG Montego's were only imported into Austria in 84 and 85.

He says its in beautiful condition, and has been garaged unless the weather is nice.

The paintwork is very good, Swizöl polished regularly. There is some light damage to the bonnet and front bumper from "easy falling rocks last summer" (im not sure!!)

New cambelt at 80,000km, done by an authorised Bentley dealer.

It has to go because he has 5 other MG's.

It is a leaded engine. Seats and Leather steering wheel have no marks or damage.

In austria it gets "old timer tax discount" - I assume this means tax exempt.

Ready to drive away - he says: "Get in and drive!"

He also says: "Much fun to offer this unique TIME WARP".
              --------------------------------------------------------
              Hope this helps,
              Dave.

Comment

The item location of Salzburg, Austria was a clue I picked up on

Comment

I've done some homework, chaps (and ladies!). Here is a translation - quite a sales pitch, but it sounds like a cracking car!
                  Phil

I'm offering, as far as I know, Austria's oldest and best preserved MG AUSTIN ROVER MONTEGO 2.0 EFI (electronic fuel injection) The vehicle is in original condition, has a complete history (documentation for all previous services and repairs) since the day of purchase and a complete service book. Despite its age, there is no rust on the vehicle, since it has always been garaged over the last 20 years and only used when the weather was good. The paintwork is very nice (polished with Swizoel) the bonnet was totally repainted last year because of stone chips and the front bumper has a light scratch (not dented). Colour:Moonraker Blue metallic, Grundig radio from the 80s, 5 gear manual sports gearbox (same as the first VW GTi (surely he's got that wrong - must be a Honda 'box?)The car also has fog lights. Everything works perfectly (MOT:5/6) The TRX tyres(which even in the case of sudden deflation will not come off the wheels) have around 90% tread left. Size: 180/65 HR 365. The exhaust is completely new. The timing belt was replaced a year ago at 80000 kilometres by an official Bentley workshop and the headlining recovered by a classic car restoration company - apart from that it has had nothing but cleaning and servicing. I have to sell now, since I already have 5 vehicles and the MG would suffer if left standing. Drive away. Now the data: The MG Montego was, according to the sales brochures, the quickest series MG ever built (really? - he must mean at that time) These cars were only imported to Austria in 1984 and 1985 and are no longer on the market today (apart from this car!) Engine: O Series with 113 PS achieves a top speed of 183 kph and 0-60kph in 9.3 seconds. Max torque is 182 Nm at 2800 rpm. The interior is tweed and velour. The doorcards are also finished in tweed. Fine red piping on the seats lend the interior an extra 80s sporty feel. The sports steering wheel is leather-covered and neither scratched nor worn. The car has been run on Super (98 ron) fuel and a lead-additive. You can already get classic car insurance for this car in Austria. Take advantage of this unique opportunity - you are welcome to view the car in Salzburg (Tel: 0676/5339960), because I won't tolerate quibbling after the sale any more than timewasters. Since this is a private sale, I cannot give any guarantees in EU law. Happy bidding on this unique Time-Warp.
                  Last edited by philippope; 8th October 2005, 10:22.

Comment

Nice one on the translating Philip, it sounds (and looks) a lovely car. I wonder if someone from Britain would buy it and drive it home?
                    As regards the comments ref. the VW gearbox I recently saw a new clutch for a Maestro advertised somewhere which was described as `also fits some VW Golfs` so I wonder if there is a connection somewhere?
                    Is there a chance they were mass produced boxes by an independant manafacturer or bought from VW by Austin/Rover to save them making/designing a box of their own?
                    If they are interchangeable if anyone needs a box for their MG think of all those nasty VW rot boxes lying round in scrappies you could pillage!!!

Comment

All 1.3 engines and the majority of 1.6 engines have Volkswagen boxes, and all 2.0 engined models have honda boxes.

Hope that clears it up for you, I think this might be one of those things to put in the FAQ so will write something tonight.

The seller of this car also emailed me the ebay details last night, I was mightily confused to recieve details of a german auction for a few secs. I got worried and though my account had been hacked and someone had bought me a german Montego for a moment, until I realised it wasnt an ebay payment form it was advertising.
                      Last edited by Austin-Rover; 8th October 2005, 13:56.
                      Rover 200 and 400 Owners Club (for wedge shape rovers, including coupe, tourer and cabriolet). - www.rover200.org.uk

Comment

D'oh, of course it's Austrian. My mistake for assuming German language = German location, and for having been to Salzburg so many times as a kid (my Grandparents lived not far from the border) it's all blended in together with Bavaria in my mind.

I'll amend the thread title accordingly!

Maestro Vanden Plas
                        Maestro Camper Van
                        Maestro 1.3L
                        Fiat 500 Sport 1.3JTD

Comment

I have emailed a contact in Austria, to see if he knows any thing about it.

Though, looking at the pic with the Turbo next to it, it might well be the same guy.

regards,
                          Patrick

Comment

Reply from the owner.

The ebay item is my Concours Montego. If you need further information
                            please let me know. It is important for me that the car goes to an
                            enthusiast´s hand.
                            This car is the oldest in Austria, never restored and everything
                            original and even fast. I think such a car is very hard to find this days.

One must go. I have another one with high milage but a everyday runner.

Best regards,

Manfred Grill

Comment

1.160.00 euro's is that good?
                              1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                              1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                              1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                              2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
                              2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                              2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Working...
                              X