Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4th Annual Great North Run - Pictures!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 4th Annual Great North Run - Pictures!

    Eight Maestros and Montegos attended this year’s Great North Run in North Wales. Four Maestros and four Montegos of all ages made their way on the scenic route from Betwys-y-coed via Criccieth, Portmerion and back. The weather varied, from grey and wet, to just grey for most of the day, but it certainly made for an atmosphere whilst out on the exposed hillsides. The rain dampened no ones enthusiasm, even those who were camping for both evenings.

    Like the event itself, the camping was excellent, with a barbecue the first evening and home made corned beef hash the second. Lovely!

    By far the best great north run yet. Great roads, great scenery and a great crowd of people who made it all so enjoyable and worthwhile!

    Take a look at some of the pictures here.

    Last edited by Austin-Rover; 21st August 2006, 16:37.

  • #2
    A really great weekend! Our forst time on the Great North Run, it's a long way from Dorset to North Wales but it was definitely worth it. Many thanks to Rich S for all the organisation and everyone else for all the fun and just being themselves. Good to see some I'd met before and some new faces.

    Having used the M4 M5 M6 and M54 to get there we decided to do as little M-ing as possible going back, and we had a wonderful trip down via Shrewsbury A49 Leominster - Hereford A466 Monmouth - Chepstow and so across the old Severn Bridge to Bathampton near Bath where we stopped for a great pub meal and on home via Warminster and Blandford to Wareham. The weather was great, the scenery was wonderful, we loved it and so did Doris. Got home feeling far less tired than after the motorway trip up, and having done less miles too! It was a bit slower but much more enjoyable!

    Comment


    • #3
      Oh and what Rich didn't say was that there should have been nine cars.......




      :laugh:

      Comment


      • #4
        Agreed, it was a fun couple of days, well evening and day

        the set route was a great drive and it was lovely to see a few of OUR cars together on the road. I did notice we were attracting a fair amount of attention aswell which is always good

        My newish addition (carribean blue Maestro TD) went very well indeed apart from the EGR valve playing up causing random, savage amounts of black smoke to cover the poor 'M' behind me. From portmerion back to bets y coed, the unfortunate one was John Slight in his very nice early maestro van in champaigne beight?? which turnt darker as the run went on :laugh:

        it was nice to see a few faces again including some new ones.

        Comment


        • #5
          Great pictures! Is that a Moonraker blue Monty I see in one of those pics??
          1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS x 2

          MONTEGO - THE CAR THAT PUTS THE DRIVER FIRST

          Comment


          • #6
            Indeed it was Ed, a 1.6 Mayfair. It looked like it had just rolled out of the showroom...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Austin-Rover
              Indeed it was Ed, a 1.6 Mayfair. It looked like it had just rolled out of the showroom...
              1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS x 2

              MONTEGO - THE CAR THAT PUTS THE DRIVER FIRST

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by BikerGran
                Oh and what Rich didn't say was that there should have been nine cars.......




                :laugh:
                Rich seems to be ignoring that, Bobbi... let's just say TFC lived up to his name of "That Fg Car" again!

                Was a great weekend, would have liked to have stayed the Sunday night too, but some of us had to work Not had a look at my photos, but will post them up as soon as I get chance.

                Good turn out, although we did seem to have a bit of a 'blue and beige' thing going on

                Comment


                • #9
                  Of the 50 or so photos I took, I think 4 are useable and/or relevant.....! I can't get them down to size though! Still, was a fun weekend, and it was nice to meet everyone, even if I did have to suffer the ravages of Ben's driving! There is one question that hasn't been answered, though: did anyone else see Dave the cat after I fed him some fish sticks? I'm still alive, but is he? :laugh:
                  I also apologise for Ben's indicating on the A5 on the way back, I got the impression he was quite enjoying flashing randomly for no apparent reason.....!:laugh:
                  Last edited by Ricky; 21st August 2006, 22:28. Reason: dyslexia attack!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Yes Ricky, I saw Dave the cat about 6.30am the following morning

                    Yikes... caption competition time!?!?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      "I can't believe this bonnet houses something as insubstansial as a three bearing crankshaft!"

                      I'm glad Dave's alright though, I probably didn't see him because he was scared off by the earth moving snoring going on, I know I snore but that was something else!!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Dave the cat was safe and well, he came back to see us on the Sunday evening.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ChrisM
                          Rich seems to be ignoring that, Bobbi... let's just say TFC lived up to his name of "That Fg Car"
                          Don't worry Chris, It will raide again. No damage done!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Ricky
                            Of the 50 or so photos I took, I think 4 are useable and/or relevant.....! I can't get them down to size though! Still, was a fun weekend, and it was nice to meet everyone, even if I did have to suffer the ravages of Ben's driving! There is one question that hasn't been answered, though: did anyone else see Dave the cat after I fed him some fish sticks? I'm still alive, but is he? :laugh:
                            I also apologise for Ben's indicating on the A5 on the way back, I got the impression he was quite enjoying flashing randomly for no apparent reason.....!:laugh:


                            Il have you know im a bl dy good driver.....it was a race wasnt it...???? :laugh: :laugh:

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ben rawlings


                              Il have you know im a bl dy good driver.....it was a race wasnt it...???? :laugh: :laugh:
                              Well, now you mention it... :laugh: .

                              Of more interest is that John Slight, in his beige Maestro 1300 Van, kept up with Fleagle and also Ben's TD ! The rest of the group caught up with us, after near 10 miles of madness, within a minute though .

                              It was the best Run yet, I'd say - many of the usual suspects and a few new faces too. It was also good to see just Maestros and Montegos in attendance - not something that has happened for the last couple of years.

                              The weather wasn't good, but it didn't blunt our enthusiasm and enjoyment. My tent was flooded on Monday morning though .


                              Anyone for the North Yorkshire Moors (including Scarborough, Whitby and Goathland [home of Heartbeat]) next year???
                              Last edited by e692wtt; 22nd August 2006, 22:22.
                              Rich Smith

                              "Joe", aka "The Ryton Express", aka E838 VJO. Peugeot 309SR main car
                              "Kryten", aka A560 SCW. Left hand drive MG Maestro 1600 'R' second in command
                              "Fleagle", aka F929 NNA. Montego 1.6L saloon stored, status "doubts set in"
                              "Cracow", aka CCW 925Y Maestro Vanden Plas - the oldest known to the Club stored, status "will fight another day - eventually"

                              You can email me here

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X