Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montego Value Question.

What is this car worth?

I have been speaking to a guy in Scotland (A fair trot from here lol). He has a Monza Red 1984 MG Montego EFi with around 70K miles. He doesn't really want to sell but he said he may sell to me.
    It has the digi-dash which all works & the interior is very good, has one small crack on the dash & the passenger seat may require a bit of foam to boost it a bit. The headlining is fine but the actual board has dropped a little.

Mechanically it is very good with anything that has needed to be done being done & a couple of things that are about to be sorted ( cam shaft seal I believe) & someting else.

Externally the rear wheel arches & door sills have recently been replaced but need painting properly, Bonnet has had a couple of holes in it but has been recomended to be replaced in the longterm as it is a bit weak, rear bumper has a very small crack in one corner, there is a bit of light rust under the O/S rear quarter window,fuel filler is very good, as are the "A" pillars.O/S drivers door has got rust in the corner but owner has a new skin for it.

To sort the body properly & for the best result appearance wise it will need to be re-painted though other than what is mentioned above there is very little if any other rust it's just there are a lot of local bits to paint & unless you do most if not all it will look like a patchwork quilt.

Any ideas on it's value
    Last edited by The Express Valeter; 8th September 2008, 23:21.

That's difficult to answer because that's an incredibly rare car - I can hardly think of any MG Montegos with digital instruments at the moment?

It's been well looked after but until you see it and give it a very thorough going over you just don't know how much you might have to spend - and if you were to go for a total respray you'd presumably want to be 100% sure everything underneath is as good as it can be and properly protected. A car like that deserves nothing less.
    Jonathan Sellars

1987 MG Maestro 2.0 EFi
    2011 Jaguar XJ

Comment

Apparently the underneath is 100% solid.

Comment

That's good. By underneath I was thinking more about all the little seams and gaps where problems can be developing without anyone even realising. Spray over them and you're back to square one within a couple of years.
        Jonathan Sellars

1987 MG Maestro 2.0 EFi
        2011 Jaguar XJ

Comment

Unfortuatlety Montys are not worth much, & heavnt been for a while

Comment

A ultra rare car like this, to an enthusiast IS!

Comment

I know this car.

I can go along and have a look at it if you want!

When and if you come up, your more than welcome to pop in and see my two!

Stephen

Comment

Hi all said car is actually mine.I dont really want to sell her but if anyone want s to look over her then i have no problems with that at all.The undernath is in excellent condition.I will not sell the car to anyone unless they are a Montego Austin Rover BL enthuasit.It was alweays my intention to restore her to if not a1 then as close i i could get to a1.Unfortunatley neeeds must at the minute.However i am not giving her away.I would rather keep her and guddle on.However Alan seems like the kind of chap that could finish her of tho a very high standrd.The most expensive job left to do is or will be the respray.The car will be getting a new Mot before she is sold if she is sold.I am going to take pics of the cars interior and engine ec and send them to Alan.This was not an easy decision to make to sell the car.It might just be a Montego to others but she isnt to me.If Alan and i can come to an agreement and he want s her then that willbe fine.I wont cry to muchAs long as she goes to a caring owner who wont bteak her or run her into the ground.If nayone has any questions please feel free to pm or email me.Thank u.I have not advertised the car incedentaly will only be selling by word off moith.No flea bay or anything like that.
                Morris Marina 1.3sdl 78
                Morris Mariana 1.3l 79
                Morris ital 1.7slx 83
                Morris Ital 1.7hls 80

Long Live Bls tin

Comment

I'm Andy by the way.

The thing I like about this car is that I had one identical back in 1987. I'm just not sure what she is worth.The problem is that the Maestro MG would have to go which is an anniversary present from the wife & I couldn't spend much more on the Montego & the paint than what I would get for the Maestro!
                  Last edited by The Express Valeter; 10th September 2008, 21:55.

Comment

HI ANDY soz i relised after i had posted and my internet went pop last nite for some reason or other.I have no idea either to be honest.I know she is a rare car not sure how many are left witht he digi dash that is working.I will emil u pics of her interior rain stopped play here tonight before it even started.TOO dark to and wet to shoe the inside correctly.I think going by the pics off u r meastro u would get a fair bit for her.Anyway i will let u know and send u emils off her interior hopefully before the weekend. Michael
                    Morris Marina 1.3sdl 78
                    Morris Mariana 1.3l 79
                    Morris ital 1.7slx 83
                    Morris Ital 1.7hls 80

Long Live Bls tin

Comment

Hi Andy sent you some emails of the car.The underside off the car is in excellent condition i spoke ot Martin the chap who did the welding on it and who is puttting her door skin on etc.Hope you like the pics mike
                      Morris Marina 1.3sdl 78
                      Morris Mariana 1.3l 79
                      Morris ital 1.7slx 83
                      Morris Ital 1.7hls 80

Long Live Bls tin

Comment

Any chance of us seeing these pictures?

Comment

I will see if andy will post them oli or see if stephien will put them on.I can never seem to do it.Car is not by any manner looking her beat been sitting waiting to get her door done so looks terriable but a good wash with power washer and she be ok.Interior decidely dity though.But the seats and carpets always come up brilliant.
                          Morris Marina 1.3sdl 78
                          Morris Mariana 1.3l 79
                          Morris ital 1.7slx 83
                          Morris Ital 1.7hls 80

Long Live Bls tin

Comment

I will try & put them up but usually it comes up file too large so I would use Photobucket!

Comment

Cool, cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X