No announcement yet.

ANTI ROLL BAR LINK - Solved!! I think.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANTI ROLL BAR LINK - Solved!! I think.

New thread on this as we reach conclusion.

My new German a/r bar links came this morning, totally surprised as so similar size to MM, except barrel shorter and it has insulation rubbers - good thing, and won't rust like the MM original.

Will it fit? Just tried quickly and it does. Only problem is bush hole dia is 15mm same as MM bar end (MM bush dia is only 12mm hence it's tight fit).

In conclusion, needs either new bush with smaller dia hole or sleeve the new bush (or sleeve roll bar end). Fairly easy.

Note in one pic I put the German equiv rubbers and nut on the MM link

Perfect! Just needs a thin sleeve on the end of the roll bar to get tight fit.
    PICS
    1 In position on new lower arm off car.
    2 In position on roll bar on 'rusty' lower arm on car.

I'm getting another pair for the turbo now!

Comment

Fecking fantastic news for us mate, well done!

Comment

Now do 100.000 mile road test:laugh:
        Sure & steadfast.
        BMC/BL Rally 2008.First prize 1980s onward.
        1988 Montego Estate 1600L Atlantic Blue From new Daily runner
        1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

Brilliant!

So, where did you get the sleeve from, or how did you make one?

Comment

Funnily enough I was looking at these lastnight on a golf. They mount the other way up to maestro ones but perhaps the even more interesting thing is that polybushes are available for them too.

They are a bit short if you see what I mean but with a polybush it should do the job.
            www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
            www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
            www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Glad you think it's great... it is! Pity the poor souls who paid a king's ransom for originals but then it's hit us too, who's gonna pay over the odds for my originals now However, looking at it another way, I have spare originals now should I ever need them.

I can try to do a deal with agent I bought them from but seeing as I paid peanuts I'm not too sure he will have much leeway. He did say to me beware are copies out there and that dealer original VW AUDI equipment ones are way more expensive (but what's new about that?).

Anyway, mine came boxed - says 'Original German Technology JP Group'. At just £7.49 each INCLUDING post and packing I thought the decimal point was in the wrong place:laugh:

If anyone wants to order via me if I can get a deal put your name down.

Just to be safe I just typed in JP Group and they even make stuff for Porsche - I think it's a safe bet these links are fine
              http://www.jpgroup.dk/default.asp?lang=uk&remember=true

JP Group Automotive is the joint name of three public, limited companies engaged within the automotive spare part industry:
              JP Group a/s
              Dansk Autopart a/s
              Hovwdiaudi a/s

Comment

Great news, very close now to finding a solution to this problem.

I have emailed powerflex to see if they would be able to make some bushes up for us, though with a 12mm hole. They have a golf MK2 bush eye bolt in their range so hopefully they will see as an easy way to extend their range.

Comment

All credit to oseerees for his dogged determination to find a solution to this problem well done!

Can I ask is the new bush made of rubber or is it a hard composite ?

Gary

Comment

Hi, thanks! Rubber? Composite? Poly?
                    No idea, what do I know? It smells (!) like hmm rubber. A sort of strong smell that hits you the minute I opened the box with the links in.

I compared it to a Powerflex bush (which is similar in that its pliable if that's right word, well, it's not definitely NOT hard).

On the JP site the Danish guy that started the company many years ago was into making all types of auto rubber parts so must assume it's rubber.

Because of the lip over the end of the metal barrel part the bush itself is difficult to remove (in fact, I couldn't remove it, and didn't want to damage it).

DON'T buy any yet might get good deal!!!
                    Last edited by oseerees; 2nd October 2008, 13:29.

Comment

I have made an exact copy of the original in marine grade stainless steel hence never rot! in the process of making a batch of 20. They are stronger and in appearence look identical to the original bush fitted. cost though is £45 each due to the fact there hand made and the tube cost me over £100 as raw stock.
                      by the looks of it Id be best to sell the stock of stainless bolts, nuts and tube off and get some money back as im never going to get near that price.
                      Last edited by TEAM78; 7th October 2008, 18:29.

Comment

Thats a bit of a bum TEAM78 but as I think I pointed out, if not on here, on the other MMsite, I had somebody making me a pair copying the original.

They looked at the original which was 19 years old and asked why I wanted it galvanised? It had survived this long as steel so why not stick to mild steel, so much cheaper and just make the weld stronger on the weak point, the bolt part?

A pair were gonna come out at £25 each 'without' the bushes which I would have had to supply.
                        What with the Jigsaw ones at over £100, I knew something out there must be a near fit.

I NEVER dreamed that they would be this cheap though!

Life? Sometimes it's a bitch, sometimes it's a breeze.

However, before you sell of your tube and bits, try selling your pair on ebay - if they make the £40 quid each you can make another set! Purists might not want VW links and face it, not everyone will know about them. But if they have a MM they will know the part is NLA.

Comment

Originally posted by E_T_V View Post
                          They are a bit short if you see what I mean but with a polybush it should do the job.
                          With that special kind of knocking sound it is my turn to get a set of these. I also found these bushes whilst searching:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=370138154850

a worthy upgrade I think!!

If the link is strong enough for a 16v golf then it has to be up to the job of even the T16 conversions amongst us!

Well it dosn't have to be but the chances are...

Comment

Just came across this thread. Went on ebay tonight and found a company selling them in pairs for £6.50 + £3.50 p+p. Just ordered a pair. Thanks oseerees! Wonder if 15mm copper tubing will do as the sleeving? I've got a full poly bush set waiting to go on, but was wondeing what to do with the end arb bushes!
                            sigpic
                            63 MG6 Magnette TSE 'Union Blue' Brand new!
                            'G' MG Montego Turbo 'Rover Wimbledon Green' owned since 97'
                            '56' MG ZTT160 Silver (GT56ZTT) Now sold
                            '05' MG ZR115TDSE Red (Hers)
                            'W' TR7V8 Will be 1980 Manx Tarmac Rally Replica
                            '56' Buell Firebolt XB12R Blue/Gold
                            'H' Montego 2.0SLX Turbo White (H11RBO) sold

Comment

15mm copper tube is too small as the end of the bar has an od of 14mm. It is also a little loose inside the bush.
                              So I hacksawed longways through the tube to open it a little.
                              After a couple of weeks I noticed that the copper had wriggled its way out of the bush!
                              So will be taking a different approach today, either turning a flange on the inner end or using a yorkshire straight coupling soldered to the bar.

Ideally you want a stock piece of tube, 12mm id and 3mm wall, giving an od of 18mm. Rebore it to 14mm and maybe machine 0.5mm from the outside leaving a small flange at the inner end.
                              Anybody got a lathe?

Comment

Working...
                              X