No announcement yet.

Reaction with your cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bloke walked past my Maestro Turbo at Newark Autojumble earlier this year and said to his mate " I used to have one of those in silver" - I didn't bother to enlighten him. Recently two chaps in their 20s walked past it and one said "Bloody 'ell, haven't seen one of those in ages - and it's a Turbo!"
    They are increasingly rare and therefore interesting, even if people aren't sure what they are looking at!

Comment

Originally posted by philippope View Post
      A bloke walked past my Maestro Turbo at Newark Autojumble earlier this year and said to his mate " I used to have one of those in silver" - I didn't bother to enlighten him.
      Yeah I've had that with #502. Over the years I've spoken to or overheard comments from many people who claim to have had "one of those" on a C, D or E plate in a colour they were never produced in. It's not worth correcting them as it's almost unavoidable to sound elitist when doing so. The only thing which puzzles me is they say it while staring at the engine bay at the huge intercooler-pipes which their EFi or 2.0i very obviously didn't have.
      Regards
      John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
      MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

My car always seems to attract a lot of attention whenever it goes out.
        On the motorway I always attract a lot of admiring glances ( I assume its the cat they are looking at..
        I called at a local car dealership 3 years ago to take a look at an MG ZT and a Rover 75 contemporary. I had just locked the car and was walking away when along came the salesman who exclaimed "Now that’s a blast from the past" Now usually the first thing a salesman wants to do is get a sale. Not this one he was so enthusiastic he just wanted to look at my car and talk about it and asked me to open it up so he could have a proper look. It didn't end there though he disappeared into the showroom and i heard him dragging the rest of the salesman out to come and look at my car. It was like bees around a honey pot.
        I have just been away in Hampshire for 3 weeks and again got plenty of attention. While at the motorway services i had someone come up to me to talk and admire the car. It turned out he was from east Yorks and his father used to have an Armstrong Massey franchise (i think) and he told me of his love of Bl etc. He had a 1970 Austin Healey sprite (midget) and his step son
        a BRM rover 200. We had a good chat.
        I think it always nice to have a good chat with like minded individuals and nice to get positive comments on your own car.
        While in Bournemouth I spotted a 1990 Montego Countryman in Raisen brown metallic. It looked very smart. I saw it again a few days later in Westbourne and took the opportunity to have a word with the gentleman. We had a really good chat and he told me about other cars he owned, A P5b coupe, and a 2004 75 connoisseur estate he used to have a P4 but had to sell it recently when he moved house. In view of his age I thought it unlikely (but not impossible) he would have access to the internet. He didn't .However I took the opportunity to promote the Montego/Maestro owners club and advised him of the forum and if he ever needed help it was the place to go. I think it made his day and mine.

Comment

Working...
        X