Reaction with your cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reaction with your cars

What kind of reaction do you get when you go out in your Maestro or Montego?
    Do people walk up to you and say they use to own one of them or are they just fans of them.

I remember when my Dad had two Chevettes (which were identical except for the one was an early made version than the other) that were parked on the driveway and we use to get quite a lot of people saying their good cars and rare sights on the roads now.

What kind of reaction does your Maestros or Montegos get?

My grandad has been using my Montego for the past 2 weeks as his car broke down on my gran when he was in hospital. Yesterday he went a few miles down the road and had been pulled by the police as they wanted to look at her! and had said never saw one in a while, my dad had one etc. Cant believe he got pulled by the police cause they wanted a look!

One thing that irritates me, If my grandad is driving himself he gets al the comments on her, but when im in the car, theres nothing!

Comment

I get a cold stone nothing in both the Turbo and the Turbo Diesel generally. Suits me fine as I can be a bit shy and retiring, lol! If someone drives badly around me I give them a reaction though sometimes, and it's not always pleasant

1989 MG Maestro Turbo no.399

1994 Maestro Clubman Turbo Diesel

Comment

I used to get a few comments when I had the Moonraker Blue Vanden Plas Maestro, but I certainly get a lot more these days with the black LHD Bulgarian Maestro. I was driving along once and spotted a bloke walking into a subway, whilst keeping his eye on my car - and not the 3ft high pillar sticking up from the ground, which he consequently tripped over!

A couple of months back, it was parked on a relative's driveway and within 30 minutes I had to go to the door to talk to a bloke who was asking about it.

More recently though I was on the phone to a good friend, who thought it was amusing when she overheard me answering questions about the car from a passing bloke who I had merely passed a quick message onto. I had to apologise and inform her that I get that quite a lot.
        Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
        VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
        J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Comment

only some of surprise on the motorways as it overtakes the majority of modern traffic! Overtook a lovely V12 morgan today!!

At the markets my car is well known with fellow traders, they hold it with a cheerful dislike, it is the car everyone loved to hate, but now it is so rare I tell them they love it really!

I like it as it is such a modern rarity so I don't really care about perceptions. Oh and the functionality.

Comment

The blue one attracts comments now and again, mainly from youngsters who tell me it's 'trick' (is that a compliment? ). The one which made me smile the most was about three months ago. I was out of sight behind the driveway gates and two youths in their mid teens walked past it, bouncing a ball on the way to the park. One said to the other, "You know what? I've no idea what the that is, but I wish my dad would buy one!"
            Regards
            John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
            MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

I had someone come up to me whilst I was filling her up at the Petrol Station the other day saying what a smashing car she was and how of course 'he used to have one years ago'. I do get some interesting glances I've noticed but nothing too substantial - they're not quite old enough yet to be really noticed but we're getting there quick. Montegos and Maestros really stand out a lot more than they did 10 years ago as they're so rare nowadays. I haven't seen another Montego in ages. I used to get loads of admiring comments and glances for my P6 when I had it a few years back as that was a little older but I'm sure it's going become more of a common occurance.

Comment

Mostly nobody seems to notice Joe. Occasionally someone remarks on its good condition. The MOT testing garage was pleased to see it. A blue Rover
                415 (I think!) took about 4 minutes to overtake on the M11 yesterday. He was either havindg a good look or just driving slowly.
                The car wash boys at the supermarket always notice it.
                But it's generally good to be unnoticed!

Comment

Got quite a few good reactions today at ardingly esp when they read the notice on my ledbury expaining what it was as the first thing they notice is that its a R reg.

Comment

Yes,its nice to get the comments,nowadays,from these rare/ish creatures!!

My tatty pair usually get.."blimey i havent seen one of those's for years". funny that,you dont see many 80's car's now,as most have rusted/scrapped away.

Followed by ...."thats in lovely nick too,isnt it",or the red car gets.."what the is it?" because apart from the mg turbo badge,people have no idea what it is!!
                    1991 MG Rover Montego Turbo A8 OGE(BORED WITH IT)
                    1994 Rover Montego Countryman M444ALP (SOLD)
                    1997 Peugeot 806 roland garros (AT LAST,A DECENT MOTOR!!)

Comment

Received many comments over the years, mainly when out in my white monty as that was my daily driver. Surprising how many peoplw have to ask what it was! The British public not knowing one of their own mass produced cars! Some people used to say 'where did you get the body kit', even though it didn't have one! It was all standard MG apart from the BMW boot spoiler! One guy at a petrol station walked past and said 'legendary'. Either he was talking about the car or he mistook me for Brad Pitt! People at the garage apparently ask what the green car is. 'Is it a Fiat?' one guy has asked! Similar shape to the old 131 or 132 I suppose. Kids nowadays haven't a clue what they are, but they seem to like, especially when they hear the dump valve go off!
                      sigpic
                      63 MG6 Magnette TSE 'Union Blue' Brand new!
                      'G' MG Montego Turbo 'Rover Wimbledon Green' owned since 97'
                      '56' MG ZTT160 Silver (GT56ZTT) Now sold
                      '05' MG ZR115TDSE Red (Hers)
                      'W' TR7V8 Will be 1980 Manx Tarmac Rally Replica
                      '56' Buell Firebolt XB12R Blue/Gold
                      'H' Montego 2.0SLX Turbo White (H11RBO) sold

Comment

Had an old chap at a petrol station walk past the camper van, stop, do a double take, and then pat it on the bonnet

Overheard at a show, small kid with his Mum looking at the camper:
                        Kid: "That's a GIRL'S car!"
                        Mum: "Shhhh!!!!"

Overheard passing the house, small child spots the (red) race car:
                        "Look Mummy, a FEWWAWI!!!"
                        A closed mouth gathers no foot

Maestro Vanden Plas
                        Maestro Camper Van
                        Maestro 1.3L
                        Fiat 500 Sport 1.3JTD

Comment

Ive had loads of people at petrol stations say "i used to have one of those"

and ive had quite a few older gentleman say what lovely cars they were / are!

the younger people at my work dident have a clue what they were and said before mine they'd never seen one in their life! now theyve seen 3 - all mine

Comment

When I started at a new job a few weeks back there were a few people in the office pleased that I was driving a 'proper' car Quite often get positive comments about it, even if it is rustier than a rusty thing.

Comment

I always have a great reaction to my Montego's at most places where I go. Up hear in MGCC Lincolnshire branch land they love them, and the Maestro's.
                              1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                              1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                              1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                              2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
                              2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                              2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Working...
                              X