Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are people views of "our" cars changing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MG MAL View Post
    I can garrantee that the only way anyone will find a better EFI than the white one mentioned, would be to complete a bare shell rebuild using practically all new parts.

I know this car, it's owner and can vouch for it's condition.

Mal.
    Yeah it does look lovely Mal. And I'd probably keep the custom leather as well. EFiman's car is equally as nice. I forgot about that when I said it was probably unique. But there are very few like them.

EDIT: Here's EFIman's car. Hopefully he doesn't object to my posting up a photo.
    Last edited by G51 NAV; 1st April 2011, 09:50.
    Regards
    John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
    MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Originally posted by Gothbiker18 View Post
      Thats quite serious! and damn right lazy!
      The wheel bearing is only starting to go really, i have driven on bearings far worse than that before (when i knew less about the mechanical side of things). Im just winding ems ltd up.

Comment

Thanks, Bob. I'm easy to wind up.

You're wheel bearing and oil leak should be fixed/investigated tomorrow...
        MG ZR, anthracite - sold & gone
        MG Maestro 1600 1.8 S-series track car - will be made road legal for track days
        Montego Turbo - in need of welding to osr arch
        Maestro 1600 VDP - daily drive

Comment

Originally posted by ems ltd View Post

we shall see!

Comment

25 years

Interesting to read about the idea that 25 years brings with it a certain cachet.

Joe is 25 in September. It will have a new bumper, passenger front door, rear arches and a general spruce up in two or three other places before then.

I wonder what comments it will attract when the work is done, (hopefully before the BMC day at Peterborough in August). One or two people have made positive comments - not exactly compliments- about Maestros to me in recent weeks.

I'll post some photos when the work is done.

Oh - anyone likely to want the off-coming passenger front door (zircon blue)? or come to that a front bumper with a split in the lower edge, caused when I hit a bit of drift wood on the M11?

The bottom right hand corner of the door will need some remedial work but otherwise it's fine.

Comment

This is a first for me... I parked my Montego up outside a friend's house tonight and as I looked round, a bloke was taking photos of it from various angles! I did hear mutterings of "I passed my test in one of those!" and they did seem pretty excited!
              Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
              VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
              J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Comment

It's been a while since I heard anything negative. The cars are old enough now for the ill-informed view promoted by the media (usually without having driven one) to be completely unknown to younger folks. Older folks see them as nostalgically rare on the roads now. I went to the pub in MG Turbo 96 last night and immediately had compliments and interest from a group of twnty-somethings running a barbie outside. Put it next to a 2010 bland-o-hatch and see which one looks interesting!

Comment

Last week we had some landscapers in to deliver and put up a new shed for us. I'd left D428 in the drive because I've been doing some minor recommissioning work. They were very interested and had plenty of questions. If anything the Jaguar seems to spark more curiousity, despite not being as rare or in the same league condition-wise, and I can't even drive the 75 to work now without causing a mini-75 & ZT show in the railway station carpark.
                  Jonathan Sellars

1987 MG Maestro 2.0 EFi
                  2011 Jaguar XJ

Comment

Wheel bearing done! oil leak investigated and diagnosed! Pas belt shot! pas tensioner seized! New osf caliper required!

Dont keep breaking your car!

Ralph - Bob ragged your turbo when it was cold (she has probably broken something) lol

Comment

Tensioner released. Need a 5PK788 belt for the PAS - closest we had in stock was 5PK775, which is just too short. D'oh!

Bob had better not have killed my turbo. Its bad enough that she's killed the one on her diesel!

Comment

just a bit! lol any dog sick in your turbo?

Comment

No, just lots of Biffa hair.

Looks like it may be a problem with the waste gate on my turbo (R400). Sometimes it rattles and I get no boost

Comment

No, just lots of Biffa hair.

Looks like it may be a problem with the waste gate on my turbo (R400). Sometimes it rattles and I get no boost
                            that sounds like the actuator spring breaking up.

Comment

The more I think about it the more I think MGR (and BMC) were right to give the ZR/ZS/ZT and MG Magnettes separate identities from their non-MG variants. I’ve had that <<< (avatar) picture of MGT 396 as my works PC wallpaper for a few weeks now. During that time I’ve had a few people pop into the office, look at it and say, “That’s cool! What’s that?”. The sniggers (if any) only start when I tell them it’s a Maestro. The name is ‘handicapped’ by a stereotypical image of a metal-bumpered 1.3 with a tartan blanket on its back shelf, being driven at 25mph in a 40-zone by a flat-capped 80 year old who smells of wee. The bubble-shaped Rover 200 is bordering on having the same image as it enters middle age, but the ZR doesn’t.

I think Austin Rover realised the ‘mistake’ by the late 1980s when the word “Maestro” and “Montego” was deleted from the bootlid of the MG models. At the same time, AR literature (eg the Today’s Cars brochures) noticeably steered away from using the names when referring to the MG 2.0is and MG Turbos. But in lieu of being given another name (too late in the day to do that), V5s, MOTs and other official documents obviously still say ‘Maestro’ and ‘Montego’ on them, and hence that’s what they’re called.
                              Regards
                              John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
                              MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

They should have delved back into MG's history...

Metro => Midget
                                Maestro => Magnette
                                Montego => Magna

Comment

Working...
                                X