• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good spot. Looks like it has had a new tailgate at some point:

1. no rust
    2. new numberplate with incorrect font
    3. loss of decals

Definitely a very good example though. It looks very clean.

(Nice shot of the Rover 75 taxi as well)

Comment

• 1 mile from me, anyone owning up??

anyone know this MG Maestro turbo?
      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Jez View Post
        anyone know this MG Maestro turbo?
        Thats my old number 70 a lad called Jake owns it now

Comment

• Reading through the later pages of this thread, most 'spotteds' seem to be from the midlands downwards, which ties in with the location of most of the cars you see for sale on eBay and elsewhere. I don't see any MMs round here that I don't know the owners of, such as Roperman, myself (obviously), Norman Dawson and a retired colleague who owns a white Ledbury. Basically all others seem to have vanished.
          Regards
          John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
          MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

• I live in a small shanty town called Ross On Wye in Herefordshire and i can positively say there are NO Maestros or Montegos around here. There was (until recently) a L reg Montego Saloon DLX in white being used as a minicab. This example had been going round town since the mid 90's. I expect the poor things been scrapped now as the last time i saw it (5months ago) it was looking exceedingly rough with rot on every panel and a nasty dent on the o/s/r quarter panel.
            Also if anybody knows the where abouts of a Red/Grey Montego 1.6L (F101 DKU) then please let me know. This was my Dads sencond Montego. He bought it in early 1998 and sold it to a guy in Worcester in mid 2000. I'd love to know if the old girl still exists.
            Oh yeah! Forgot to mention i saw a B reg Silver Maestro HLE in Blakeny,Forest of Dean on Saturday. Looked good to be fair!

Comment

• There used to be a HL estate near me, D999VVL. Nightwatch Blue, I think, and 2.0 - though it was at the end of a private road so I didn't explore closely. Went about 2 months ago now.
              Sam Skelton

RED995R - Triumph Stag - Once shot by Sir Patrick Stewart.
              E225CMV - Austin Montego 2.0HL - "Like an MG on weed!"
              H475PDA - Rover Montego DSLX auto - Possibly unique
              J615NJU - SAAB 9000 2.3 Turbo - Replacing gearbox. Then selling..
              L384WRH - Citroen XM TCT SEi auto - The Starship Francoprise...
              OV02MZY - Volvo V70 T5 SE - Replaced by above. For sale soon.
              PA02DXB - Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE auto - Bought because it was cheap. Fleet getting out of hand now.

Comment

• yeah i know what you mean im in bristol and i can only think of 3 mm's in the area i remember when the city centre was filled up with montego estate taxi's where are they all now???
                1993 rover montego countryman TD

Comment

• Originally posted by MontyCJ View Post
                  I live in a small shanty town called Ross On Wye in Herefordshire and i can positively say there are NO Maestros or Montegos around here. There was (until recently) a L reg Montego Saloon DLX in white being used as a minicab. This example had been going round town since the mid 90's. I expect the poor things been scrapped now as the last time i saw it (5months ago) it was looking exceedingly rough with rot on every panel and a nasty dent on the o/s/r quarter panel.
                  Also if anybody knows the where abouts of a Red/Grey Montego 1.6L (F101 DKU) then please let me know. This was my Dads sencond Montego. He bought it in early 1998 and sold it to a guy in Worcester in mid 2000. I'd love to know if the old girl still exists.
                  Oh yeah! Forgot to mention i saw a B reg Silver Maestro HLE in Blakeny,Forest of Dean on Saturday. Looked good to be fair!
                  I have done a check on the registration mark F101 DKU for you using the DVLA's website. It suggests that the Date of Liability (i.e. renew road tax or SORN it) fell on the 1st September 2000. The car is, therefore, currently unlicensed. This suggests that it is either a) scrapped and no paperwork has been completed to confirm this; b) the DVLA's records are not up-to-date (this does happen as I know a friend who sold a taxed and MOTed Triumph in 1993, although the DVLA currently says that its liability was in 1989); c) it is off the road and the owner has not completed the paperwork, either through not being bothered or not receiving a reminder from the DVLA.

If you have any recollection of the name of the man your father sold the Montego to and roughly where he lived, you could always try and make contact, from purely a point of interest rather than a potential purchase.

I hope this helps.

Comment

• I asked my Dad tonight if he knew who he sold it to and he hasn't got a clue. However my Dad did say he sold it with 190,000 miles on the clock so i wouldn't be at all suprised if it's been scrapped. Shame as i always remember it being very solid. My Dad had both rear sills and rear arches replaced just before he sold it. I really hope it hasn't been scrapped

Comment

• Spotted a J plate Red MG Maestro in Chichester area yesterday, totally MINT with old chap driving it, i had seen it before but this time i was in my MG maestro too! i beeped and waved but got no response, guess he dident notice or just not interested. there such rare sights these days that i think MM drivers should acknoledge each other out on the road

Comment

• Originally posted by David3500 View Post
                        I have done a check on the registration mark F101 DKU for you using the DVLA's website. It suggests that the Date of Liability (i.e. renew road tax or SORN it) fell on the 1st September 2000. The car is, therefore, currently unlicensed. This suggests that it is either a) scrapped and no paperwork has been completed to confirm this
                        When you scrap a car, or more likely sell it to a vehicle dismantler, and inform the DVLA, the car remains on the searchable database with the date of liability set to when the tax last ran out.

I don't think you can infer that that there was no paperwork completed or that their records are not up to date - it is just that they don't appear to remove cars from the database or at least they don't display the indicator that shows that cars have reached their end of life. Several cars that have gone through our ownership that were part-exchanged, and I assume scrapped by the dealers, appear like this on that system.

Comment

• K regd silver maestro ,old boy driving near Fosdyke Boston Lincs today

Comment

• Originally posted by matthewsemple View Post
                            When you scrap a car, or more likely sell it to a vehicle dismantler, and inform the DVLA, the car remains on the searchable database with the date of liability set to when the tax last ran out.

I don't think you can infer that that there was no paperwork completed or that their records are not up to date - it is just that they don't appear to remove cars from the database or at least they don't display the indicator that shows that cars have reached their end of life. Several cars that have gone through our ownership that were part-exchanged, and I assume scrapped by the dealers, appear like this on that system.
                            I am only speaking from my own direct experience with the DVLA!! As I know from several people, cars they have sold on have not had their date of liability updated - this is blatantly obvious with a friend of mine who sold a Triumph with current tax and MOT in 1993. Yet, according to the DVLA's website, the date of liability was in 1989. A cursory glance at this would say that he had been using his vehicle illegally for four years, although this was not the reality. If that isn't a sign that DVLA's records are not up-to-date for what was a legitimate, road taxed vehicle, I don't know what is. Also, for a car I scrapped two years ago, I informed the DVLA about this and a week later its registration number was no longer recognised on their website, suggesting that it had been removed from 'the system' as being legitimately scrapped. As a friend of mine who worked for the DVLA until last year told me, there is no active opportunity to update records for all cars, while cars that were not SORNED before 2005 are never chased up - there is no direct cost benefit to the DVLA, unless the vehicles are being illegally used on the public highway.

Comment

• MG Maestro BRG 2.0 EFi.

East Croydon drop off point.
                              H803CGU

Was about to hop out and take a photo on my iPhone but the owner came back. I said 'Nice car' and we had a very brief chat and passed comments. Guy said he was from South Norwood. Anyone on here?

Comment

• I spotted a very ropey looking Moonraker Blue Montego in Gloucester this morning. I'm pretty sure it was a B reg. It looked pretty rough though.

Comment

Working...
                                X