Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laying-Up

Hi all,

Well not sure what its like where you are but the weather has taken a decided turn for the worse here and the number of wet days is out weighing the dry, so Ive decided to rest my maestro over the winter to do a little work on in and keep it out of the wet.

Does anyone have any hints and tips for things I should do to stop it deteriorating while stood? I was contemplating sticking it on axel stands to take some weight off the road gear?? Maybe even stick an electric greenhouse heater under it to keep the damp out?

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    1.3 Mayfair E975 RVG
    1.3 Ledbury X46 DAB
    Daily Stuff Pug 308CC / C4 Grand Picasso / Pug 207

Where are you keeping it? Inside or outside?

I wouldn't go to any great length to be honest, stick a little extra air in the tyres and it will be fine sat for a good few months. If it's inside, leave the windows open to let the interior air.

My cars see very little use over winter, I do aim to run them once or twice over the winter months - maybe once every other month, and if it's dry, I'll take it for a spin around the block.

Comment

Pump the tyres up hard to avoid flat spots or ideally sit on axle stands.
      Spray the underside, inside wheelarches and door bottoms with waxoyl/engine oil to help prevent corrosion.
      www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
      www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
      www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

My Clubman sits in the garage with the battery disconnected, handbrake off, and engine just sprayed in wd40, i start it every few months and thats it
        It never fails to start and it is wax oiled and painted underneath but i really need to try and get it out more when weather is good. I have never put any of my cars on axle stands, and have never experianced tyres going 'square' the clubman has a fitted cover too. My other 2 maestros get used more and sit on the drive and are used in all weather they are just full of wax oil and toucch wood arent deteriating at the moment.
        Personally i do think cars that are used are much better than ones that arent i laid my mg up a few years ago and it didnt to it any good mechanically.

Comment

Originally posted by daveyboy View Post
          Personally i do think cars that are used are much better than ones that arent i laid my mg up a few years ago and it didnt to it any good mechanically.
          Totally agree with that one!

I have got a big tin of waxoil and underseal so will be doing that while its stood.

Its in an asbestos garage which has a good roof but rubbish walls (lots of ventilation). Its not connected to the house so no heat.

Ive stuck it under a couple of bed sheets but am concerned that while they keep the dust off they may hold damp in.
          1.3 Mayfair E975 RVG
          1.3 Ledbury X46 DAB
          Daily Stuff Pug 308CC / C4 Grand Picasso / Pug 207

Comment

Dust sheets will be just fine if you leave the windows open a crack.

Every couple of weeks take the sheets off and hang them on the line to air for a bit before replacing them

Comment

What is the safest maximum tyre pressure to stand a car?

Comment

It usually says on the tyre somewhere, but I generally stick in 40psi ish

Comment

I decided to use one of my turbos as the everyday runner for what's supposed to be the best six months of the year.
                  Already I'm thinking I overshot that window by a month, as September's been a gale-battered washout. Except today: dry, warm, wall-to-wall sunshine, not even a breeze to speak of. No idea where today's weather came from but I'm sure it won't stay long.
                  Regards
                  John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
                  MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Originally posted by G51 NAV View Post
                    I decided to use one of my turbos as the everyday runner for what's supposed to be the best six months of the year.
                    Already I'm thinking I overshot that window by a month, as September's been a gale-battered washout. Except today: dry, warm, wall-to-wall sunshine, not even a breeze to speak of. No idea where today's weather came from but I'm sure it won't stay long.
                    Been a fab day here, I don't worry too much about the weather, I use my Turbo in all weathers. Rain, sun, snow it doesn't worry me
                    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                    2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
                    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                    2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Sadly I can't afford to keep them all taxed all year round so usually I'll tax the EFi from October to March and then tax one of the Turbos from April to September. Whichever one is taxed is outside 24/7 because I only have undercover storage for two cars: one in my garage and one under the car-port.

For a very short period in Spring this year, and for the very first time ever, all three cars were taxed, MOTd and insured at the same time. For just that short period we could 'do a Jeff', ie pick a set of keys at random and say "hmmm...this car today I think"
                      Regards
                      John Orrell

MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Originally posted by G51 NAV View Post
                        we could 'do a Jeff', ie pick a set of keys at random and say "hmmm...this car today I think"
                        I like doing that, now what car shall I drive today
                        1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                        1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                        1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                        2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
                        2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                        2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Looking more likely now that I'll have to use the MG Turbo over winter now anyway...the flat roof on our kitchen extension started to leak in during the recent storms. While in my opinion it's storm damage our insurance assessor has ruled that it's 'natural wear and tear' and so out of scope of the policy. So that's probably a lovely £600/£700 bill I didn't expect.
                          Regards
                          John Orrell

MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Working...
                          X