chassey numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chassey numbers

hi everybody on my montego on the vin plate under the bonnet ,there is your vin/chassy number above that there is another number,just below the austin rover logo, whats it for any ideas? cheers tony
    Tony Hague

A clear enthusiast - or a nutter?

I had not noticed that until you mentioned it. Could it be a batch number or something similar?

Comment

could it be the engine number,would they put that on the plate?too dark to see now
      Tony Hague

Comment

Its not the engine number. It is too short. I presume its the silver and black plate with the chassis number, paint and trim codes we are talking about here.

Someone on here is bound to know what it is for...

Comment

yes thats right
          Tony Hague

Comment

very interesting.. i thought that was locatred in between the door pillar on the montego and maestro?!? I notice this, cuz its a ba tard to spray round when dealing with the sills!!!

Comment

Chassis Numbers

I also presumed that the plate was located behind the front passenger door on Maestro's & Montegos. Perhaps they are in different positions on Montegos, as Tony says - but i cannot think why...

Comment

sheer bloody mindenedness on Rovers part i presume!?!

What happens if you spray your car a different colour, so that the paint code differs? Is it ok to leave the original plate on there??

Comment

this plate is on the rhs inner wing behind the headlight ,are they in the same place on the austin and on the rover
                  Tony Hague

Comment

You need a VIN plate attached otherwise your Montego will fail the MoT, whatever the colour is. Officially there shouldn't be a number stamped in the silver space between the Austin Rover logo and the VIN number. So why is there a space?? Good old Austin Rover! Could be the commission number or body number perhaps.
                    M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
                    Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

we will have to have a look if i get my car to the show,been looking in the haynes book and they said as you do, that the plate should be"on the front body panel or to the left-hand front door pillar,the number is repeated on the right-hand front strut turret".
                      as i have said no plate on the door pillar ,just a plate on the right hand inner wing,and stamped on the right hand side strut turret,. who knows perhaps it is a "made on friday"car?
                      Tony Hague

Comment

perhaps its a cut and shut car!!!

No, only joking.. that would just be silly.

Comment

I think it's another one of those changeable Austin Rover things. The VP has the VIN plate in the engine bay, and the camper has the VIN plate on the door pillar *shrug*
                          A closed mouth gathers no foot

Maestro Vanden Plas
                          Maestro Camper Van
                          Maestro 1.3L
                          Fiat 500 Sport 1.3JTD

Comment

In general there is a change over date for the positioning of Vin plate and numbers. Pre-1989 had a body number plate mounted on the front headlight panel on the nearside,Post-1989 models had this moved to the boot floor. The Vin number stamped into the shell used to be on the centre of the rear bulkhead panel and this moved to the NSF suspension turret sometime around 1986-87. Up until this point the VIN plate itself was mounted on the NSF inner wing panel also. Same applies to both Monty and Maestro.

Gareth

Comment

must be diffrent fitter diffrent place for the vin plate,so u know who put the car together,my 84/85 has the vin on the turret who knows? perhaps it is a cut and shut .
                              they must have used two very rusty cars
                              Tony Hague

Comment

Working...
                              X