Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is it worth saving

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • is it worth saving

    Started to strip my monty down because it was getting a bit rough around the edges with a view to fix it up and respray it but I have now found some holes in the wrong places.the body shop who I payed good money to 4 years ago to tidy it up for me and respray it have cut loads of corners even to the point on close inspection they have fitted the new arches ontop of the old ones so it has rotted all the way through again.the car is solid everywhere else floor is solid as are the cills apart from the back where they join the cills even the filler pocket is solid.so do I spend months getting it back up together or do I finally cut my losses and bin it,I will need at the very least have to replace the arches again and rebuild the back of the outer cills
    19
    bin it
    0.00%
    0
    fix it up and enjoy again
    89.47%
    17
    stop moaning
    10.53%
    2

    The poll is expired.


  • #2
    Do you love the car?

    Would it be hard to replace it easily with a good one?

    Would you regret scrapping it?

    If you answer yes to even one of the above, repair it. If it's a No to all three, then scrap it/sell it.

    Comment


    • #3
      What he hasn't mentioned, Mark, is that it is an MG Montego Turbo.

      So the answer to your second question has to be no
      1983 (Y) MG 1600
      1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
      1987 700 City 1.6 Van
      1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
      1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
      1990 Clubman D
      1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

      (all Maestros)

      Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

      Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

      Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

      Comment


      • #4
        Brake it so I can get parts from it....

        Na just kidding, Restore it to the point that its better that the new stuff thats on the road today then enjoy it for longer.

        Restore it yourself.

        All never take any car to a bodyshop place cus you will pay through the nose and out your ass and never happy with the work afterwards when they finished,

        For the same price they charge you can buy all the tools and parts your self and do a better job.

        One story I heard was a mini being restored and the guy got charged for two new doors when the bodyshop just repared the old ones and never taken them off ect...
        I have no montego anymore

        Comment


        • #5
          If the floor and sills are solid, than it shouldn't take too much work to get the arches and rear end of the sills done properly, and if it is a Turbo deffinately worthwhile.

          Comment


          • #6
            I've just ordered a pair of new rear arches from a place in Sevenoaks, Kent. They do list them on Ebay. £59 for the two including £10 postage.

            Comment


            • #7
              i say repair wheel arches and rear sills and put your car back on the road
              you will be sorry later if you scraped the mg
              and if its good mechanicly it be a shame to loosesuch a nice car

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by hairyone View Post
                Started to strip my monty down because it was getting a bit rough around the edges with a view to fix it up and respray it but I have now found some holes in the wrong places.the body shop who I payed good money to 4 years ago to tidy it up for me and respray it have cut loads of corners even to the point on close inspection they have fitted the new arches ontop of the old ones so it has rotted all the way through again.the car is solid everywhere else floor is solid as are the cills apart from the back where they join the cills even the filler pocket is solid.so do I spend months getting it back up together or do I finally cut my losses and bin it,I will need at the very least have to replace the arches again and rebuild the back of the outer cills
                Just incase anyone hasn't noticed, I have an announcement to make that I have a very secret soft spot for MG Montego Turbo's.
                I would save it and have the arches and cills re-done, if your stretched for money you could have one side done first, drive it about for awhile till you have saved up enough, then have the other side done.
                If you want to sell it...............................erm contact me
                Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 18th July 2012, 15:45.
                1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser finished
                1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                2004 Rover 75 Conny auto
                2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

                Comment


                • #9
                  I have made up my mind and when I get paid next week I will order a pair of new arches and see if i can get a pair of cills or cover cills i already have the paint to respray the whole car so i now stop moaning and get on with it

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thank god for that. I think you would be gutted if you got rid

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
                      If you want to sell it...............................erm contact me
                      No Jeff!

                      Back in your cage!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Finally made a start ground out the rust by the pillar that the back door fits onto were it joins the cill welded new metal in and give it a skim of filler to tidy it up and I have got rid of all the surface rust on the back end that was hiding behind the back lights,just got to wait for the wheel arches then I can crack on some more

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          right i am almost finished but i now have a wanted.i have smashed the rear quater light window on the pass side does anybody have one for sale or no were i can get one cheers mick

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by hairyone View Post
                            right i am almost finished but i now have a wanted.i have smashed the rear quater light window on the pass side does anybody have one for sale or no were i can get one cheers mick
                            Yeah i've got one if you want it Mick, facelift one I take it?
                            pm me for the details if you like
                            1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                            1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser finished
                            1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                            2004 Rover 75 Conny auto
                            2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Just to let people no that after all the welding and the two new doors,bonnet and rear arches and a full respray it passed its m.o.t and has been taxed.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X