Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today I have been mostly

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Today I have been mostly

    Fixing Chris's MG Montego EFi.
    Changed the head gasket as it's been leaking oil from the front nearside corner.
    Mostly went ok but..........the last exhaust manifold bolt snapped and both breather pipes on the inlet manifold fell to bits. Lucky I had spares
    After removing the head I tried using my stud extractor and...........the stud snapped again and it's wedged in my extractor. So I filed it down and drilled a hole to use my inner extractor and..........couldn't find the dam thing anywhere, so I drilled it to exactly the hole needed and re-tapped it and that worked fine. Lucky I have spare studs
    I told Chris to clean up the headbolts with my thread cleaner nut and.......he put it in my vice too tight and mashed the threads on one of the bolts and snapped my thread cleaner nut in the process. Lucky I have spare headbolts
    Used my other method of cleaning threads and that worked fine.
    After cleaning up the head, block etc I put the head back on, all ancilleries and made good progress until I notice the exhaust manifold need replacing as the surfaces are not flat anymore.......my spare is in my barn, so I put the manifold back on as he needs to use the car to go to work.
    Got everything back on just putting the pipe from the ecu to the manifold back on and...................the T piece fell in half. Luck I have a spare
    Fixed that, started it up and ........manifold has a slight leak, so I will need to replace it in the future.

    Next came the brake leak, the offside rear has been leaking fluid and....what a mess, brake fluid all over the place. Trying to undo the brake pipe and........as usual it wont undo, finally getting it to loosen and replaced all of the brakes on that side, piston, drum, brakes, now all that works fine.
    I noticed while sorting the engine that both power steering gaiters are shot............so another job for me soon when they arrive from the bay of e.
    The whole sheebang took all day due to the exhaust bolt snapping.................ho hum, the joys of working on an old car eh and my spares are deminishing.
    And in all this I didn't swear once
    Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 23rd July 2012, 16:50.
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser finished
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2004 Rover 75 Conny auto
    2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

  • #2
    And in all this I didn't swear once
    Of course you did'nt LOL

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by MG MAL View Post
      Of course you did'nt LOL
      I'll have you know Mal, I was calm all day
      1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
      1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser finished
      1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
      2004 Rover 75 Conny auto
      2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

      Comment


      • #4
        At the stud snapping once I'd have been f'ing and j'effing, for it to snap several times, I'm with Mal on this one.

        That's a productive day, a headgasket in a day, I take it you had a spare head built up ready?

        Comment


        • #5
          re gasket replacement

          well done jeff with the head gasket replacement.
          yes you did well to do the change in a day with all the problems you had
          with broken studs.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by countrydude View Post
            At the stud snapping once I'd have been f'ing and j'effing, for it to snap several times, I'm with Mal on this one.

            That's a productive day, a headgasket in a day, I take it you had a spare head built up ready?
            No, I din't swear at all and cleaned up the existing head

            Originally posted by BIGDAVE View Post
            well done jeff with the head gasket replacement.
            yes you did well to do the change in a day with all the problems you had
            with broken studs.
            Changing a headgasket should take less than a day, i've done quite a few and i'm well rehearsed.
            My wifes MGTF failed its MOT on a front subframe front bush, front balljoint, front trackrod end,2 rear subframe front bushes and rear fog lamgs not working. Very suprised on a 2005 plate with only 30,000 miles on it.
            Yesterday on my last day off till I go to France in August so I had to drop the front subframe to replace the front subframe bush and front wishbone as the balljoint is connected. Everything was going ok till I tried to undo the 2 bolts holding the front subframe bush to the bodywork and.......they both snapped. There isn't much room at the front so I had to nearly remove the subframe, get my dremel out and cut off the out stud end, drill and re-tap one side. The wishbone was quite easy, the trackrod took 5 minutes. Then after lunch I started the rear subframe, dropping it enough to remove the main bush bolt I didn't snap any bolts that are attached to the bodywork and replaced the bushes. Tomorrow I have to remove the fog lamp switch after I find out how to do it and test it as the fuse, relay and bulbs are all ok.
            I was quote by the MOT guy to do this work, £500 minimum in labour charges, so a large saving there then and I would have finished about 2pm it the bolts hadn't snapped and picking up the parts I needed.
            Again no swearing at all when doing the job.
            My hands are now swollen and complaining about 2 days solid working on cars due to my age but a large saving had to be done.
            Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 26th July 2012, 09:49.
            1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
            1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser finished
            1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
            2004 Rover 75 Conny auto
            2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

            Comment


            • #7
              And in all this I didn't swear once
              Im now positive you cannot count

              C

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
                No, I din't swear at all and cleaned up the existing head

                Originally posted by chrisl View Post
                Im now positive you cannot count

                C
                Now then Chris
                1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser finished
                1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                2004 Rover 75 Conny auto
                2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

                Comment


                • #9
                  Ah, the truth will out, he didn't swear once, but a thousand times!

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X