Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

rumbling from rear (sounds like wheel bearings)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rumbling from rear (sounds like wheel bearings)

But I've lifted each rear wheel and checked for any play and there is none. It starts at just under 30mph and seems to level off at 70ish.

Could it just be that some dirt has got into the bearings and it is causing a slight wear?

I'm just used to hearing that sound and feeling some play

Bit of a long shot phil but check the fan bearings. I had strange noises a while back and it turned out to be the fan windmilling .
    Incidently are you still looking for a van. I have a t+t'd one that could be a good project

Comment

I've fitted a new fan motor recently so it won't be that.

I'm staying with the estate for now thanks Russ. I've done so much to it now it doesn't make sense to change.

Comment

Could still be the bearings Phil, they were whining like that of our old EFi. It even passed an MOT because there was very little play, but at 60mph it sounded like a WWII bomber. Changing them both cured it.
        Regards
        John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
        MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Fair point Jon. I've ordered up a new pair. I'm still waiting to get a reasonable mileage out of rear bearings. I fitted new hubs thinking old worn brake hubs were causing the bearings to fail. Still no!

Comment

Rear bearings are usually reliable unless they are overtightened. They were done up with an airgun on my van when I got it. I nearly went deaf driving it!

Front bearings fail without play usually. My turbo even passed its MOT with a catastrophically failed one.
            www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
            www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
            www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

I've tried fitting them FT, and to the book spec. Neither seem to last me more than a few thousand miles. There is no play, but it can't really be anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by countrydude View Post
                I've tried fitting them FT, and to the book spec. Neither seem to last me more than a few thousand miles. There is no play, but it can't really be anything else.
                Have oyu checked the tyres?
                Uneven wear can make that sound
                1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
                2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Also the top rubber shock mount can fall apart leading to metal to metal contact making the rear end noisy.

I've never had to replace a rear car wheel bearing ever. I've have had to do van ones on both my vans. Something seems wrong to me! You are installing them the right way around aren't you and with the correct spacer. I know I'm asking silly things but something doesn't sound right!

Comment

I've checked tyres, and yes, bearings are fitted around the right way, with the thrust faces outwards. The spacer is there, not sure what else can be happening. I fitted softer springs on the back coilovers yesterday so I know the rear suspension is fine.

Comment

looks like a wheel bearing change then.

www.mgmaestroturbo.com Home of the Twincharged Maestro.

2014 Vauxhall Mokka 4x4 Turbo - Tech line

Comment

Originally posted by countrydude View Post
                        I've checked tyres, and yes, bearings are fitted around the right way, with the thrust faces outwards. The spacer is there, not sure what else can be happening. I fitted softer springs on the back coilovers yesterday so I know the rear suspension is fine.

When you take the bearings out take a look at the raceways. If they are pitted then that is where the noise is coming from. Why they are pitted is another matter. Usually either excessive wear (not in this case) or too much preload (or not enough sometimes).

Comment

Sorted this today, one side was fine, the other side rumbled like mad just spinning the wheel. Just the outer race was damaged:

It might be self inflicted though as my old hubs were so worn I took to using a compound to lock the bearings in, maybe that got into the bearing grease and solidified? As I say the other side is still fine.

Comment

Working...
                          X