Another daft Maestro question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another daft Maestro question

Just to get my train of thoughts back into the 1990's and really understand what my Maestro is about, my daft question for today is:

What is the parcel shelf fastener (the black knob) at the rear centre of the parcel shelf for? The owners manual mentions it but doesn't explain what, where or how to use it! (typical really!!)
    Membership Secretary
    Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
    2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
    1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

When you fold the back seat down it locks the shelf to the rear of the seat

Comment

Correct. There's a little slot in the back of the seat near the bottom that it clamps into by turning it. The idea is you can leave the shelf in the car when you (a) just need to fold it away to give space for a tall load, or (b) need to fold the back seat flat. In reality you'll find the shelf has bent a bit in twenty odd years and the lock doesn't quite fit in the hole unless you beat it severely. Or is that just me again
      Regards
      John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
      MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Phil and John I bow to your knowledge. I never knew that.

Comment

John, a car as cosseted as yours and this feature is...umm...a little challenged?

Some of us have Maestros much older with brown trim where the parcel shelf glides serenely into the locking slot on the seat back!

Comment

Originally posted by Oli View Post
            Phil and John I bow to your knowledge. I never knew that.
            And a plus 1 to that as well. Thanks for the explanation guys. I shall now go and further examine my parcel shelf as there is a cord wrapped around the underside of the fastener, which will definitely stop it from engaging in the seat squab - serenely or otherwise!!
            Membership Secretary
            Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
            2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
            1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Comment

Working...
            X