Starter woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter woes

So i have spent a lot of time and effort rebuilding the motor on my 1987 2.0EFI Maestro and now after replacing the flywheel with what turned out to be a TD one cant find the right starter motor.

Anyone able to shed some light.

Originally posted by MGFSoldier View Post
    So i have spent a lot of time and effort rebuilding the motor on my 1987 2.0EFI Maestro and now after replacing the flywheel with what turned out to be a TD one cant find the right starter motor.

Hi

Even if you were able to source a correct starter motor the TD flywheel doesn't have the reluctor ring fitted so the EFI engine will not run anyway.

You need the correct EFI flywheel to supply the engine speed and position to the ignition and EFI ECU's.

Comment

Originally posted by MGFSoldier View Post

Was the original flywheel in bad condition that you have to replace?
      As Gary says, its not the correct part, as the flywheel is never seen and unless scored, should be ok for many years in the future.
      Can you re-attach the original?
      1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
      1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
      1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
      2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
      2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
      2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
        Was the original flywheel in bad condition that you have to replace?
        As Gary says, its not the correct part, as the flywheel is never seen and unless scored, should be ok for many years in the future.
        Can you re-attach the original?
        The original was knackered hence the replacement with one from Rimmers. Which is part number
        PSD101580 but i now believe to be the incorrect part unless anyone kniws different.

Comment

I had this issue on my turbo. Flywheel tooth didn't match the starter tooth pattern. In the end I ended up using an M series (or perhaps T series) one which I had lying around.
          www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
          www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
          www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

I have messeged Rimmers to see if they can shed some light on the ring gear and correct starter part number. Full on snapped, was really hoping to have this ready for the 2nd round of the Road Rally season i compete in, looks like im goinog to miss round 3 at least if i get it ready for any.

Comment

Well helpfully Rimmers have 3 starters listed for my Vin
              9M90 - doesnt work as thats what i tried
              M79 - Just ordered one for £20 used so heres hoping
              M79R - same as the MGF/TF so as im chamging my manifold and some other jobs on my TF after the new year i will try it then if needed.

Comment

Well no joy as yet, still no starter in the post, fingers crossed it turns up soon.

Comment

Working...
                X