Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steering column.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Steering column.

    Looking for some advice which hopefully isn't too daft a question.

    I'm in the process of rebuilding 108 and my steering wheel appears to be adjustable which I'm sure wasn't an option

    You can pull the steering column to you by about an inch and I think I'm missing a bolt.

    I've attached a pic below which is just before it goes through the body underneath the pedals.

    I assume I should have a nut/bolt through this but is there anything else I'm missing?

    If it's just a nut and bolt is there anything I should know and should the column be fully down i.e push the steering wheel down away from me and tighten in its lowest position?

    Thanks 👍

    ______________________________________________

    Maestro turbo No. 108

    Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce Ti (daily driver)(Vesuvio grey)
    Mazda MX5 RF LE (Soul Red)
    Honda CBR 600 FW (weekend toy)

    Instagram & Facebook - mgmaestroturbo108

  • #2
    Yes you have a nut and bolt missing.
    Slots into the recess from the steering rack through the 2 holes.
    You can see from your picture, the column needs to be pulled up a bit
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser finished
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2004 Rover 75 Conny auto
    2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

    Comment


    • #3
      wouldn't like to be driving that very dangerous, don't forget to use nylock nut there safety first
      Last edited by charliecosworth; 5th March 2016, 19:41.
      MG Maestro turbo 437
      367 Bhp

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
        Yes you have a nut and bolt missing.
        Slots into the recess from the steering rack through the 2 holes.
        You can see from your picture, the column needs to be pulled up a bit
        There's about 1 and a half to two inches play Jeff so it'll lift up to the recess no problems I wondered exactly how it went through thanks.

        Originally posted by charliecosworth View Post
        wouldn't like to be driving that very dangerous, don't forget to use nylock nut there safety first
        It's still in many pieces up on axle stands do definitely no worries about it being driven soon
        ______________________________________________

        Maestro turbo No. 108

        Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce Ti (daily driver)(Vesuvio grey)
        Mazda MX5 RF LE (Soul Red)
        Honda CBR 600 FW (weekend toy)

        Instagram & Facebook - mgmaestroturbo108

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by macca666 View Post
          There's about 1 and a half to two inches play Jeff so it'll lift up to the recess no problems I wondered exactly how it went through thanks.



          It's still in many pieces up on axle stands do definitely no worries about it being driven soon
          Once you've bolted it in you shouldn't have any play at all. I've you still have over an inch then something is wrong
          1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
          1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser finished
          1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
          2004 Rover 75 Conny auto
          2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks Jeff I'm pretty sure that once it's bolted it'll be fine. It's obviously got the play just now as there's nothing to stop it moving up and down.
            ______________________________________________

            Maestro turbo No. 108

            Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce Ti (daily driver)(Vesuvio grey)
            Mazda MX5 RF LE (Soul Red)
            Honda CBR 600 FW (weekend toy)

            Instagram & Facebook - mgmaestroturbo108

            Comment


            • #7
              steering

              you would not get far with that missing bolt.
              maybe end up in the nearest brick wall.
              make sure you center the steering as well.
              the bolt will take the play out as it fits in a cut out in the shaft

              Comment


              • #8
                ideally you should use a bolt with a smooth shank to fit the cutout.
                midget1380@btinternet.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  Sourced a bolt and nyloc nut and discovered the nut and bolt higher up although fitted was loose.

                  Both replaced with nyloc nut and bolt and tightened up so no play now

                  Thanks.
                  ______________________________________________

                  Maestro turbo No. 108

                  Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce Ti (daily driver)(Vesuvio grey)
                  Mazda MX5 RF LE (Soul Red)
                  Honda CBR 600 FW (weekend toy)

                  Instagram & Facebook - mgmaestroturbo108

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by macca666 View Post
                    Sourced a bolt and nyloc nut and discovered the nut and bolt higher up although fitted was loose.

                    Both replaced with nyloc nut and bolt and tightened up so no play now

                    Thanks.
                    Anytime
                    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser finished
                    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                    2004 Rover 75 Conny auto
                    2004 MGZT V8. I love this car

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X