Monstro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Russ View Post
    As regards this forum, it's been said before that there is more chatter on Facebook, but I know I'm not alone in being totally adverse to that particular institution
    Here here, a large part of my job (and a charity I am involved in) involves child protection. If everyone knew how that site works in relation to secret groups (which are used for a multiple of criminal activities) then I believe no right minded person would sign up. In signing up and posting you are giving them revenue from their advertisers. That money goes to make the owners of the site very rich and all the time it is being used for horrendous crimes. I have never been and never will be a member, I am not going to promote a site which is actively used by paedophiles, terrorists and the rest. They are not even helpful in catching these vile people, in my opinion it should be closed down and never seen again. I will also say that there are numerous other sites which provide a platform for similar illegal gains. Right, I'll jump back down off my soap box! PS if this club goes down the fb route I will crush my Montego in protest!!!

Comment

Received my copy yesterday, very good so far, about 1/2 way through. I find it nice to sit down and read a magazine / book, I could buy my magazines in e format for a fraction of the price but it just isn't the same.

Also re the photo of the pick up, they do know it's a maestro van which has been cut down into a pick up with a Montego front end? It reads as though it is a Montego pick up??!!
      Last edited by G4GLM; 29th April 2016, 18:26. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Who bought all the spares and can we all buy them from the person who now owns them ? . I didnt know monstro was only going out once a year thats a real shame because its so good . Im like Russ i dont do face ache or kindle and dont like spending to much time on my pc so I will be missing out on the news letter oh well thats , that .

Comment

As I said last year, I'm not on here to cause trouble. BUT there seems to be a lot going on that normal members don't know about.
          Surely when a new chair is appointed members should have had some input?
          I'm sorry but I really can't see how we can move forward. The best thing about this forum and the club is Gary ( G Force) having the club in practical classics doesn't help a normal member when a car doesn't run.... Gary does!
          Now can the committee tell the forum :-
          What happened to the spares
          Why the previous leadership wasn't good for the club
          Why by by having a presence at big classic car shows enhances the members being in the club

I look forward to responses from above

Comment

It's a real shame the club has come to this.
            The articles in monstro by Mike humble are excellent, I've only met Mike a couple of times so he probably won't remember me.
            But he loves the connection between BL and BR just as I do being a proud employee of the latter in close proximity to mike's old stamping ground

Comment

It's great to get feedback on Monstro and good to hear views on the club and current plans even if disappointing that it's negative in some cases.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my copy of Monstro and the plan is to make the annual version a bumper one with 'service bulletin' newsletters in between. Given the time and resource available to produce Monstro this seems the best way forward for now - but let's see how it goes and get feedback - there is nothing to stop us changing the format but someone needs to write and edit it and that's all voluntary!

We are currently redeveloping the website and hope to be able to house the vast archive that has been built up and hopefully it will be easier to use and a more valuable proposition. We are also looking at regalia (although again needs support) and parts remanufacturing.

Like many on here I like the forum and don't use Facebook much - it's great to see some activity and chat on here so Monstro has driven that too! I would say let's keep the feedback coming - it's the only way we can make the club meet the needs of members. We can't please everyone all the time but we will take on board any and all feedback so keep it coming!

In terms of the parts that was done before I joined the committee so will leave someone else to comment on that.

We are very aware that we need to make the club worth the membership fees and are working to that aim. Again feedback is most welcome. In terms of new committee we were elected at the AGM that all members were notified of so there should be no surprises on that front.
              Last edited by seacow; 30th April 2016, 10:57.
              1989 Montego Mayfair EFI
              1989 BMW 316i
              2013 BMW 320d Touring
              2014 Nissan Leaf. Shhhhhh

Treasurer
              Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

I can answer everyone's questions tomorrow when I'm in my office as it takes ages on my phone.
                Was no one's fault and no blame to anyone.
                1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
                2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

i havnt got a printer!
                  Then send the email to someone who has and can print it for you!!

As far as I was aware the new committee was voted for at the AGM as happens in all clubs. If you wanted to give some input then that was the place... The trouble with clubs, Russ, is that there are lots of people with lots of opinions on how they should be run but when push comes to shove very few of them will get involved actively and spend their spare time doing all the things that are needed for it to function.

As I said earlier I have, in the past, edited and produced a newsletter... It was a thankless task that took up an awful lot of my time and I wouldn't do it again...

I am sure that if you can help in any way the Committee would love to hear from you...

Comment

I would love to help with the club but living on the northern tip of East Anglia the only thing I can do is attend Peterborough without a hotel stay.
                    At present I'm not well,but when I'm working I spend a lot of time away so can't help with admin
                    I appreciate it can be a thankless job and thank the people who do the jobs.
                    but with no spares, one magazine a year I'm sorry to say I'm struggling to see what advantages the club can offer? The spares as I understand it were always being catalogued and sorted for sale to members.
                    As I've said in an earlier post I may have missed something last year when I was out of it due to radiotherapy

Comment

I wasn't a member at that time so can't comment...

One thing I would say however is that it takes time for a new committee to establish themselves and do the things they want to do...

I'd suggest to those of you that are complaining to have a little patience and see how things go over the next 12 months. Making snap judgements this early in the life of the new committee is grossly unfair on them...

By all means make constructive comments but also give them time to act on them...

Surely you can all afford one years subs, I know I can as it's a fraction of the cost of running the car for the year, so let's wait and see what happens!

Comment

re parts

has anyone got a clue where we can obtain coolant hoses for the 1275cc engines.i am ok for now but would be nice to know where I could get the radiator bottom hose system to water pump and carb

Comment

Originally posted by BIGDAVE View Post
                          thank you I received my excellent copy of monstro today.
                          I like the full colour pictures.
                          but its sad there will only be the one issue this year
                          and every year after that.
                          it was also sad the spares the club held have now been sold off.
                          I wonder what the club will be doing to get parts that are no longer available
                          in the future
                          The spares have been SOLD! When did that happen? It may have been last year when I was ill but it still checked here now and again.
                          So what did selling those finance?
                          Well it seems to me what was brought up so time ago when it was proposed to limit this forum to members has happened.
                          The club has become focused on becoming a show club for members who are lucky to live with reasonable driving distance of big shows.
                          To be perfectly honest I think there are now too few of our cars left to support a club, what is really needed is an Austin rover car club covering all models from 79-05
                          I have had some good times with this club but as I stated earlier £18 for one magazine!
                          If I'm missing something please let me know but I can't see any other advantages in being a member.
                          As regards this forum, it's been said before that there is more chatter on Facebook, but I know I'm not alone in being totally adverse to that particular institution
                          Chris and Maria after many years of free storage decided they wanted their garage back and I cant blame them.
                          A thankless task since the club acquired the Maestro spares. They gave many many hours Taking pictures and listed on this spares part of the clubs site. All this was for free as they were committee members etc etc.
                          The club did advertise for a new spares person and ................no one stepped forward. Other storage places were sort but all needed much money spent of moving and storing them into new premises. John Corbett offered to buy all the spares and remove them at no extra expense to the club and this was voted on and accepted.

Monstro .
                          Again a very thankless task to put together a magazine with very little input from members for articles etc, despite many pleas for them, after all the club is about the cars.
                          Any magazine takes many many hours to put together and all for free to the club.

All committee members are voted in and all give there free time generously and in many cases out of pocket. All questions etc should be asked at the AGM, if people don't turn up for it and complain after then tough. And this isn't aimed at anyone in particular.

New projects
                          Are in the pipe line, new or revised website, media out put, service bulletin and more but all takes time so please give it a chance.
                          Future spares
                          If any one wants to come forward to help get any panel reproduced then make yourself known, I have to assume not many will though. Give my time to do this for free?
                          I have had spares reproduced and have found rare spares to benefit members, as has Dan,(ETV), Mal and others. I'm not willing to do this any longer as I lost money on the last batch as some of the water pipes went 'missing' in the post.
                          Its not a lot of money, one years membership isn't going to break the bank and i'm sure given time things will get done.
                          Those who can remember Triple M know that a wealth of material disappeared with it, we don't want this club going the same way. Last year the MGM group also folded, again a wealth of knowledge lost
                          Facebook is instant, forum and clubs are not but facebook doesn't have the wealth of knowledge that a club has.
                          I for one will pay my membership and I believe in the club and committee to do the best it can for the benefit of the club.
                          Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 1st May 2016, 12:15.
                          1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                          1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                          1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                          2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
                          2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                          2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

I would like to say that even if we are to get only one magazine per year then yes I will still pay my money and stay a member. The help, advice and parts I have received from this forum is worth much more than the membership fee to me. Would I have still received this if I wasn't a paid member? Probably yes but I want to feel like I am doing my bit and being included, "part of the team".

I would like to ask just what parts the club had and how much they received for them?

In the past I have asked and offered my services on more than one occasion with regards to helping out with the club, I have been met by a brick wall so haven't bothered since. The offer does still stand though, I will vote myself forward for any tasks which need doing, just someone pm me details of what's required and I will let you know if I can help.

It would be a real shame for this club to disappear either totally or into the realms of the social network sites.
                            Last edited by G4GLM; 1st May 2016, 16:21. Reason: Edit

Comment

When the triple M Club was disbanded I assume club members who were Metro owners set up their own club? From what I can understand the Metro Owners Club is now no longer in operation. (Correct me if I'm wrong). I, for my sins, own an MG Metro as well as Montego and Maestros and I know other members do too. Would it not be an idea to open the club to Metro owners which would substantially increase membership, potential volunteers and increase the numbers attending club events?

Comment

There are obviously more Metro owners than Montego and Maestro combined so could increase membership substantially. Perhaps members who were in the MMM are in a better position to comment.
                                Last edited by kobe; 2nd May 2016, 09:56.

Comment

Working...
                                X