No announcement yet.

Monstro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think most of the points have been covered in this thread, so I won't go over them again. As many of you have recognised, running a club is mostly a thankless task, so thank you to those who do recognise that we do our best with our limited spare time. I also know that you're never going to please all the people all the time - you can only do your best.

Sadly, I haven't received my Monstro! I guess it's gone AWOL in the post, but I'll pick one up at the next show. However, I have no doubt that Simon has done yet another superb job, which is confirmed my many of the comments on here. It takes Simon a full working week to pull a Monstro together and not many people would want to do that three times a year. Simon deserves a medal for all the Monstros that he's produced over the years and I for one completely understand why he wished to give it up, and also understand why no one else would either want to or have the time to take on such an onerous task. Hence the reason to move to an annual Monstro (which we will be paying the printing company to pull together - we'll just be supplying copy) supplemented Service Bulletins newsletters to ensure that members are kept up to date.

The spares were sold for £1500, which I understand is more than was paid for them x years ago when the club purchased them. The club has also made money from the spares during this time - a huge gratitude of debt is owed to Chris and Maria for running the spare for many years. The funds from the sales of the spares are going towards the new website, forum and membership database.

Social media is a must for the club, but has it's place and is certainly complementary and not instead off.

In the end, a club is only as good as its committee and its members, so I guess its down to all of us to contribute. Everyone can contribute (and many do) it doesn't matter where you live, whether or not you use social media, whether you are computer literate or not etc, you can make a difference.

An umbrella group for BL clubs has been talked about for sometime and Gaydon have very kindly offered me a meeting from free of charge in the autumn to see if I can get the clubs together. Personally, I feel that this is the way forward for small clubs such as us. The Rovers have the Joint Rovers Club which is an umbrella group and works very well (I attended a meeting was very impressed) but I feel that possibly more integration would be a positive way such as each club being a 'register' within the main BL/ARG club, so the structure would look at bit like the MG Car Club. I was chair of the MG FWD Register (which sits in the MG Car Club) for the past year and could really see the benefits of being under a large club. It didn't stop us doing anything, in fact, it freed up time to do things. We have our own logo, do our own events, yet join in with larger club events - it really works.

The Metro Owners Club is alive and getting itself together after a difficult period. I'm in regular contact with its committee, as I am with most BL/ARG clubs.

It's great that Andrew is looking to start something up in his area for members. If anyone else want to follow Andrew's example, we'll do all we can to help.

Tanya
    Chair - M&MOC

Comment

OK, I'll have a go for the West Mids... See separate thread!

Comment

Does anybody know if John Corbett (the man with all the booty), is contactable and willing to sell the parts he has?
        I am looking for some weather strips for my van, as mine have shrunk.
        Thanks
        Fug
        PS Love Monstro,

Comment

Originally posted by Tanya View Post
          Sadly, I haven't received my Monstro! I guess it's gone AWOL in the post, but I'll pick one up at the next show.
          No Monstro here also....

I wonder if any others have gone missing?

Andy
          CURRENT FLEET:
          1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
          1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
          1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
          2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
          1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

Comment

Interesting that with all the time, effort, passion and money it requires to maintain our beloved cars that £18 membership is an issue. It is not for just 1 magazine, it's our contribution towards keeping our cars alive.
            Those short on time, unable to travel to shows or commit to assisting running the club can at least chip in a few quid to show support for those that do. The wealth of knowledge and experience on here is priceless in itself.
            I for one am grateful to have received great advice, parts and moral support from members. Plus it's great to know I am not alone ( or crazy ) loving these wonderful cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Seyshellkenton View Post
              Interesting that with all the time, effort, passion and money it requires to maintain our beloved cars that £18 membership is an issue. It is not for just 1 magazine, it's our contribution towards keeping our cars alive.
              Those short on time, unable to travel to shows or commit to assisting running the club can at least chip in a few quid to show support for those that do. The wealth of knowledge and experience on here is priceless in itself.
              I for one am grateful to have received great advice, parts and moral support from members. Plus it's great to know I am not alone ( or crazy ) loving these wonderful cars.
              Well put .

Comment

Working...
              X