Montego Turbo B802NWK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montego Turbo B802NWK

I acquired B802NWK last year with the idea of restoring it. I am hoping that someone on here can help me find out some history of the car particularly as it has nine previous owners!

It was originally black but has been painted blue but only on the exterior. The engine bay and interior are still black as the id plate specifies.

I understand that this is probably the oldest Montego Turbo in existence registered 7/3/85. I was also told it was a press car and probably the car used for the advertising pictures and brochures as it was the first black car registered.

Can anyone help with further info on this?

Does it have the vin number stamped into the body anywhere? Turret tops??
    B802NWK was never black, it has always been moonraker blue. Just out of interest what colour does it show on the vin tag? PMA??
    Spring 1998 MG M car club magazine "forward" had a small article about it I believe.

Jeff - don't shout at me, and yes my hat is still here!
    Last edited by G4GLM; 1st June 2016, 20:24.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	290389

Comment

Originally posted by G4GLM View Post
        Does it have the vin number stamped into the body anywhere? Turret tops??
        B802NWK was never black, it has always been moonraker blue. Just out of interest what colour does it show on the vin tag? PMA??
        Spring 1998 MG M car club magazine "forward" had a small article about it I believe.

Jeff - don't shout at me, and yes my hat is still here!
        Car was originally black Gavin. Rick had it sprayed moonraker blue from another colour. And I don't shout lol.
        John mcfeely also has a B reg turbo, a silver one but I don't know the date of his.
        Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 1st June 2016, 20:41.
        1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
        1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
        1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
        2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
        2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
        2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Colour code on the tag is PMA. Thanks for the info on the article I'll check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by kobe View Post
            Colour code on the tag is PMA. Thanks for the info on the article I'll check it out.
            It's in the spring 1998 issue on the inside last page. It's an article by the owner at the time John Waite.

If you don't have or can't find it I should be able to scan and email you a copy.

Maestro turbo No. 108

Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce Ti (daily driver)(Vesuvio grey)
            Mazda MX5 RF LE (Soul Red)
            Honda CBR 600 FW (weekend toy)

Instagram & Facebook - mgmaestroturbo108

Comment

Thanks for the offer and the response but I think I know someone who will have one. I will check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by macca666 View Post
                It's in the spring 1998 issue on the inside last page. It's an article by the owner at the time John Waite.

If you don't have or can't find it I should be able to scan and email you a copy.
                ooo that goes back a bit. You still got all of the old mags?
                1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
                2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
                  ooo that goes back a bit. You still got all of the old mags?
                  Unfortunately not. Have a few from round about that time though if you're looking for something specific. I sold the old turbo in 2000 so definitely don't have anything beyond them but I can look them out and list them if it helps anyone.

Took me back as well having a look for the 1998 one

Maestro turbo No. 108

Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce Ti (daily driver)(Vesuvio grey)
                  Mazda MX5 RF LE (Soul Red)
                  Honda CBR 600 FW (weekend toy)

Instagram & Facebook - mgmaestroturbo108

Comment

I owned b802 nwk for allmost 9 years .
                    What do you want to know ?
                    It was originally black , was painted silver in the late 80's (was owned by a big rover dealer in Suffolk , was bought off austin rover after 12 months )
                    It was then fully restored in the late 90's and painted Caribbean blue , engine was rebuilt etc , I bought it early 00's spent ££££'s on it getting up and running. Then painting it moonraker , I do regret not painting it black but I've always wanted a early turbo in moonraker .

Comment

Hi Rick, Thanks for the reply. Interesting that the car has had three colour changes! To be fair it still looks pretty good so may use as is for a while and then get it painted back to black.
                      Was there any confirmation that the car was a press car? I suspect it was the car used in the advertising brochures as I think it was the only early black one. Do you know which dealer in Suffolk had the car?

Comment

Originally posted by kobe View Post
                        Was there any confirmation that the car was a press car?

The B8** NWK registration series was used for most of Austin Rover Group's new launch models in late 1984 and early 1985. This included the MG Maestro EFi and Rover 216 variants, as well as the MG Montego Turbo. The rule-of-thumb back then was that the fleet of press demo cars was registered on consecutive registration numbers. Roadtests of early press demo examples for the aforementioned models certainly displayed B8*** NWK registrations.

The earliest example of the MG Montego Turbo was B800 NWK finished in Targa Red.

If you visit the MG 'M' Group's website I believe there is still a list of some of the MG Montego Turbo press demo cars under the 'Colours' section.

I am not sure how many MG Montego Turbo press demo cars would have available at its April 1985 launch, but I am guessing the figure would have been no more than six. All cars were kept for a maximum of twelve months or 10,000 miles; whichever occurred first, in line with the Management Company Car Plan ruling.

Hope this helps.
                        Last edited by David3500; 3rd June 2016, 08:56.

Comment

Thanks David. very useful.

Comment

Working...
                          X