Ledbury!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ledbury!?!

Ive been in Herefordshire for the past week and happened to stop off in Ledbury for a day.

I took my 1989 VDP, and was by that time covered in mud from the winding country lanes, but i was stopped in this town 3 times and asked if it was an original ledbury maestro! To which i had to reply, "I have no idea!"

Ive seen a few posts on here about Ledbury too.. whats its all about? whats the link between ledbury and the maestro? Excuse me if im being insane here, but im not upto speed on the details of history, i just know my car rules the road! :-)

Hmm. The link between Ledbury and the Maestro is a complete mystery to me... NOT! Ledbury was the best thing that could happen with the Maestro after the MMOC. Over 600 Maestros were built and converted into RHD there in 1998 until 2001 and so these cars, available in red white or blue were registered from R to Y reg! Wa-hey!

Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
    VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
    J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Comment

thats a big one youve got there
      Tony Hague

A clear enthusiast - or a nutter?

Comment

hehe!! i cant believe i didnt know that... i knew about the conversions, but hadnt a clue it was in ledbury! lol. thanks for your info there! :-) Fantastic!!

Comment

No prob.

Steve Worsley

Comment

Originally posted by F170 GGT
            No prob.

Do u know if they did this with the Monty too?????

Comment

Yes I do know.

No.
              Steve Worsley

Comment

Yes I do know.

No.
                OK THANX GGT

Comment

Ledbury Cars

They didn't do the Montego but they made about 150 Maestro vans as well as hatchbacks. The last Maestro I have seen on the road had an X-plate and I believe there were even some Y-reg cars registered in 2001 (rather than 1983)

It would be good if there is a car that made it to a 51-plate or later. If the last Maestro that sold at Gaydon recently was ever registered it would attract a new registration which is currently "03"
                  Last edited by matthewsemple; 16th July 2003, 22:25.

Comment

Re: Ledbury Cars

Originally posted by matthewsemple
                    It would be good if there is a car that made it to a 51-plate or later. If the last Maestro that sold at Gaydon recently was ever registered it would attract a new registration which is currently "03"
                    Exactly what I was thinking when I heard they sold the last Maestro. Could there be a chance that a Ledbury Maestro was registered late enough to have a 51 plate?
                    Steve Worsley

Comment

Re: Re: Ledbury Cars

Exactly what I was thinking when I heard they sold the last Maestro. Could there be a chance that a Ledbury Maestro was registered late enough to have a 51 plate?
                      I should think there might be. There's a 'Y' plater going round locally for instance so there's a chance there could be at least one.

1989 MG Maestro Turbo no.399

1994 Maestro Clubman Turbo Diesel

Comment

Ledbury Cars

Originally posted by M170 RFA
                        I should think there might be. There's a 'Y' plater going round locally for instance so there's a chance there could be at least one.
                        That would make a good picture if you could get that posted up here. there aren't many cars that made it through the alphabet on the prefix/suffix plates. Obviously the real mini made it from pre-suffix, through every suffix and every prefix right up to 51-plates.

In Bristol I also see alot of original style Beetles on '97-on plates as a company here imports them from Brazil and sells them brand new with 1600cc fuel-injected engines for £7000 - but the least said about that the better.

Perhaps someone will import one of those Chinese Maestros with a Montego nose and put that on a 53-plate and then convert it to MG-spec with a T-16 Turbo engine from a Rover (sort of dream project going on in my head here!)

What would the Tickford kit from a Maestro and the Wood and Pickett fron bumper from a Montego look like together?

Comment

Chinese Maestro with Montego nose

Not to everyone's taste but I think this Maestro looks fantastic with a Montego nose. If a company would import them I'd buy one although I think they have a low powered 60PS 1.4 litre diesel engine or something - a quick T-16 Turbo conversion would soon quadruple the power output!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Is the driver of that car sticking his fingers up at the photographer?

:laugh:

Comment

Just get rid of my double post....

- a bit trigger happy with the 'post' button! sorry!

Comment

Working...
                              X