Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nobody wants it.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I was typing a reply, but I cant be bothered. its only whats already been said.

    to be fair its probably going to end up scrapped..........You have to 'sell' an old car. theres plenty of free cars around that 'look' in the same condition as yours going for free.

    If you dont want to make the effort, I suggest you drive it down the scrap yard. they may give you 30 quid for the steel?

    andy
    CURRENT FLEET:
    1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
    1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
    1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
    2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
    1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

    Comment


    • #17
      Just out of interest, where is this car located? Sorry if I've missed this info but couldn't see it anywhere.
      1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS x 2

      MONTEGO - THE CAR THAT PUTS THE DRIVER FIRST

      Comment


      • #18
        Location.

        Nailsea, a town 5 miles west of Bristol.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Gary Seven
          Outside of a small band of enthusiasts the Montego has no real value, most motorists would like something more modern to drive and unless forced by personal poverty, most do

          The mere mention of the word Montego has most people grabbing at two straight objects in order to form a cross shape, as they make there escape.

          If any car was the British "Skoda" then this was it.
          You say you have been offered £50 and you wanted £60 so you might as well take the fifty notes and then you won't have any more hassle. When I posted my advice I was thinking you wanted £300 or thereabouts, which you could possibly get if the car looked immaculate as the Montego still has some appeal to those looking for a cheap vehicle to lug stuff around in.

          It is easy to criticise the Montego as you have done - but its value is no different from many other cars built in the 1970s and 1980s. If you were trying to sell a Talbot Alpine, Vauxhall Cavalier, Citroen BX or Nissan Bluebird, it would be exactly the same. Unless it is a totally mint, low mileage, high-spec model, they are not worth much money.

          People want new or nearly-new cars. It doesn't make the Montego a bad car - it is just a reflection of the used car market.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Gary Seven
            Outside of a small band of enthusiasts the Montego has no real value, most motorists would like something more modern to drive and unless forced by personal poverty, most do.

            The mere mention of the word Montego has most people grabbing at two straight objects in order to form a cross shape, as they make there escape.

            If any car was the British "Skoda" then this was it.
            You've got one hell of a queer way of trying to sell us your car. I guess you're not a salesman by trade.
            Regards
            John Orrell

            MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
            MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

            Comment


            • #21
              Certainly a better banger car than the Sierra, Alpine, R21 or BX (Suspension can be a expensive prob on these).

              However Bluebird was a brilliant car! (in my opinion), 405's are OK, and the Cavalier ain't too bad probably good cos spares are cheap & plentiful.

              I'm surprised you cannot get £60 notes for your Monty. Old Diesel Estates are usually sought after.

              If you were near me I would have it, and I know my mechanic mate would too.

              Graham
              Last edited by macwomble; 8th March 2005, 22:26.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by macwomble
                However Bluebird was a brilliant car! (in my opinion)...
                I found the cooking versions as dull as dishwater. Re-shelled Datsun 180B's. My dad's cousin bought one of the earlier ones (B/C reg) and after three months traded it in for...a Maestro!
                Regards
                John Orrell

                MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
                MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

                Comment


                • #23
                  "cooking version" ??

                  Graham

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by macwomble
                    "cooking version" ??

                    Graham
                    =low spec, base model, poverty spec, etc. I suppose the sporty models may have been good; were there any? Never seen one.
                    Regards
                    John Orrell

                    MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
                    MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I think that they actually made a turbo version!!

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Yeah, was a 1.8, not bad apparently, a bloke at work had one for a bit but traded it in for an ordinary 1.8 auto. Same engine can be found in (IIRC) the Reliant Scimitar SS1, along with quite a few Ford CVH's.

                        Ricky.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by G51 NAV
                          You've got one hell of a queer way of trying to sell us your car. I guess you're not a salesman by trade.
                          This was simply a response to other's comments, not a strange sales tactic. It is always best to read the whole thread.
                          A very valid comment by "H48HPE", Yes you are more than probably right, there is a metal reclaimation plant at Avonmouth 10 miles away, my last Monty (Mayfair petrol saloon) went there, but that one needed to, due to it's terrible level of corrosion. This one is probably sure to follow.
                          I don't think they pay out for re-cycling cars, nowdays scrap car dealers in my area actually charge to take your car off your hands, and will even charge per tyre for disposal (no longer allowed to openly burn them).

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Gary Seven
                            This one is probably sure to follow.
                            I don't think they pay out for re-cycling cars, nowdays scrap car dealers in my area actually charge to take your car off your hands, and will even charge per tyre for disposal (no longer allowed to openly burn them).
                            As scrap prices are currently very very high most places should offer you cash if you deliver it to them or free disposal if they send a lorry out for it.

                            Soon the car maker itself will have to pay for disposal for a car at the end of its life. That will probably ruin MG-rover if it istill here then.
                            www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                            www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                            www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by E_T_V
                              As scrap prices are currently very very high most places should offer you cash if you deliver it to them or free disposal if they send a lorry out for it.

                              Soon the car maker itself will have to pay for disposal for a car at the end of its life. That will probably ruin MG-rover if it istill here then.
                              Thats not to say you should be scrapping your car, you just need to market it correctly and find yourself a buyer. Have you gone the route of ebay yet as mentioned above?
                              Rover 200 and 400 Owners Club (for wedge shape rovers, including coupe, tourer and cabriolet). - www.rover200.org.uk

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Unwanted! :-(

                                Originally posted by Gary Seven
                                Has anyone had trouble getting rid of their unwanted Montego or Maestro. I have found my Monty very hard to shift. I've asked people at work, placed ads in shop windows and local free newspapers and put an ad on usedcar - mart.com, with absolutely ZERO response. Is this typical or just bad luck?
                                Hi Gary

                                Saw you ad & sympathise - I tried selling our old Citroen BX a while back & found it very frustrating - However your car looks just what I am looking for to rejuvenate my Landy (Am I in trouble now!?!) Just it is 100 miles too far away - Here in Lancashire I am struggling to find one in any condition - yet I see a new one on eBay every day - all in other parts of the country - what happened to the ones around here - did the damp climate finish them off earlier than the rest? or are there more Landys

                                All the best - Nick
                                Last edited by Nick.wotherspoon; 9th March 2005, 20:43.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X