Feedback from the public

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback from the public

Ok this afternoon I took the cover off Faggot as it was a lovely sunny day. I was approached by a neighbour who commented on how well it looked. Being that the car is 16 years old, she was amazed at it's condition and asked if it had had a respray - but of course it is all original, well... almost!

Oh and it's not the first compliment I have had - a BMW 5 series owner recently commented on how well it had been polished up.

So, I thought I'd ask if anyone else receives any positive feedback or comments on their cars from the public, seeing that many people dislike these cars.

Anyone?
    Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
    VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
    J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

A bit.

Ive an elderly old lady , living next door to me. She saw me spraying F915 and said it was looking good and she asked the other day "wheres that lovly blue car of yours , is this is?"

after saying no , she replied

and replied , oh .. yes i see the differance its got something here on this one (pointing at grill) .. oh and its white . No sorry , its a different one.

She said it was rustyer , but was nicer in white . bless her little heart . Nothign great , as you may have guessed

Comment

I get quite a few positive comments from neighbours when G51 is in the driveway or at the front of the house. I also get positive comments from owners of other classics when I take it to generalist Classic Car shows. I get very few comments when I take it to MG-specific shows, other than from fellow MG-saloon owners.
      Regards
      John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
      MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroSpecial
        So, I thought I'd ask if anyone else receives any positive feedback or comments on their cars from the public...Anyone?

Yes, very much so!

When driving the Maestro, I get a fair few comments from people. Many are intrigued as to why it is an R reg car. The shine on the paintwork and its all round good condition gets lots of admiration from the public and people in the motor trade.

My Montego is similar...many comment how you don’t see any early cars anymore, and the 1.3 badge on the boot lid is always a talking point! Many are surprised at how well this particular example has survived, and they always have a kind word to say.

I have received only compliments for my cars. This negative image is only perpetuated by a few who still think it’s cool to continue the good tradition of 'BL Bashing'. From what I can see, the public remember these cars as the 'street furniture' from their younger years. They are the cars their parents had, or a friend or neighbour owned. Nine times out of ten, people are happy to see one still on the roads.

Comment

I was once offered £1000 for my 1.3LX (or, what used to be mine) whilst filling up at a petrol station.

Dave.

Comment

You lucky lot! All I get is abuse and Audi's trying to overtake me.

People give way/let you out when you drive a Honda Jazz! (They take pity on OAP's)
            M&MOC Committee Member - Archivist
            Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

Comment

I've had a couple of positive comments about my car, moslty from oldies... don't see many of those around of that age, look after it, etc...

Also get the odd comment about having to be very brave to be seen in it

Comment

At work a couple of weeks ago I got some bloke saying that "at last there is someone who is as brave and eccentric enough to have an ugly unusual car". I turned round and said "I really can't take comments about how ugly my car is from someone who owns a fiat multipla!"
                www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Originally posted by E_T_V
                  At work a couple of weeks ago I got some bloke saying that "at last there is someone who is as brave and eccentric enough to have an ugly unusual car". I turned round and said "I really can't take comments about how ugly my car is from someone who owns a fiat multipla!"
                  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Comment

What is it with Multipla owners: there's one at work who gave me grief for my Turbo being "ugly". He's some cheek, and I told him so! Mind you, you should see the state of his wife: no wonder he likes his Fiat Multipla
                    Regards
                    John Orrell

MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Originally posted by G51 NAV
                      What is it with Multipla owners: there's one at work who gave me grief for my Turbo being "ugly". He's some cheek, and I told him so! Mind you, you should see the state of his wife: no wonder he likes his Fiat Multipla
                      Much the same stands at work too - Monty was written off by a Multipla driven by one of my managers, and the above (previous post) comments about the Multipla's owner's wife apply in this case too. Funny, that...

But even beating the Multipla with baseball bats would only make it look better :laugh: !

Anyway, I gather my manager's Insurance Renewal has come through, and as the Claim hasn't yet been settled the Premium is sans some No Claims Discount. Dragging my feet? Moi? Yup, you got it :toothy: !

Anyway, I don't hear anything negative about my cars - people have a soft spot for Maestros and Montegos .
                      Rich Smith

"Joe", aka "The Ryton Express", aka E838 VJO. Peugeot 309SR main car
                      "Kryten", aka A560 SCW. Left hand drive MG Maestro 1600 'R' second in command
                      "Fleagle", aka F929 NNA. Montego 1.6L saloon stored, status "doubts set in"
                      "Cracow", aka CCW 925Y Maestro Vanden Plas - the oldest known to the Club stored, status "will fight another day - eventually"

You can email me here

Comment

I've had quite a few comments - all good. I think to a certain extent it is people who are amazed that it is not rusty. Contrary to what a lot of you think about the rusting abilities of Maestros, the DO rust. LOTS!

Comment

I've had some positive comments from people who knew I had acquired an old car - "Your little Maestro looks quite good! " - mostly uttered in rather surprised tones!

Comment

Hardly a day goes by without someone remarking favourably on my old "Silver Machine". It's a tidy 1985 MG Montego Turbo in Silver Leaf Metallic. See url link below.

What is rather surprising is the comments I get from young car enthusiasts. By young I mean those actually younger than the car!! They obviously admire it. I use it frequently to get punctures repaired or tyres swapped on MG F alloys in local QwikFit type outfits - they don't charge much if they're not busy - and these are usually staffed by youngsters who always ask about the car.

When I use the Tomcat Turbo - a considerably faster machine - for similar trips - barely a mention...

Comment

Originally posted by MGJohn
                              ..the Tomcat Turbo - a considerably faster machine...
                              A trip round to Gareth's place in the Silver Machine would put that to rights John He worked on my brother's old Maestro Turbo conversion and the current owner, in his own words, claims it's as "fast as f**k!" :laugh: He apparently took it round to a local Kwik Fit to have some new tyres on it and the guy who did the work has a Lotus Carlton (must pay good wages in Kwick Fit ), and he says the old Maestro certainly wouldn't be shamed by it in a straight line
                              Regards
                              John Orrell

MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Working...
                              X