amazing how many people look back in nostalgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amazing how many people look back in nostalgia

When driving about in the derv im often approached by people from petrol stations to council tips; who say hey used to own a maestro and not one of them said it was a crap car! Even an ex girl friend said her dad had one!
    In my case any two litre that does 50-70+ mpg is worthy of driving and owning! I understand BMW [probably via killing longbridge] discovered that direct injection diesel engines were the way to go
    Not bad for an old tractor! First direct injection diesel engine!
    0-60 in 8.2 hours 1/4mile in time for breakfast but the rust wins hands down

Yes, interesting point that BMW diesels were painfully slow, thirsty and could be pigs to start when well used... until they started nosing around at AR ...then they made a decent engine, but added the russian roulette suicidal swirl flaps, just in case anyone was too impressed...

Comment

This is true. They put some plastic parts in which imploded.

So ironically, when re-engineering the M47 engine for the Rover 75 the Rover engineers had to fix its inherent faults as well as turning into a Common Rail unit. There is a lot more to the R version than just front-wheel drive.

Comment

Austin rover should never have been sold to b.m.w.selling to honda might have ended in a better future for longbridge and cowley.b.m.w.was only after the 4 wheel tech land rover had.
        british aerospace was only a bridging time for the government to get rid of british Leyland.its a shame it all ended so sadley

Comment

It's true about the comments. We have a Saab 900 Classic that is the same age as the Maestro. It's ten times cooler, but the Maestro gets the comments and they are much more positive than I expected; everyone seems to have had one. Not that I care: it always makes me smile, especially the aim and hope steering. @Big Dave. I can't think too much about BMW; it gets me too annoyed.

Comment

I have had this too. Once I had someone tell me his dad had one and put a hammer to the voice sythesizer because "you couldn't turn it off". Funny that, when mine (and every other one I have seen) has both a restrict button (which reduces the number of messages) and an on-off switch!

But usually people are complimentary.

Comment

i just love blowing off bm's and mercs with my td,the looks on their faces , they are over rated !!

Comment

Originally posted by petegroover View Post
                i just love blowing off bm's and mercs with my td,the looks on their faces , they are over rated !!
                I remember the first bmw diesel I ever saw, it was less than a year old & at first I decided not to try overtaking it on the 3 lane uphill stretch I was on, thinking that he'd not like being overtaken by a Montego estate & would accelerate & I might run out of road...then I realised that he was going flat out judging by the smoke...did not take me long to get by... When I got where I was going I told my mate about it & he said "but you couldn't balance a 50p on top of your engine with it running" referring to the BMW advert...I proved him wrong..I might have used the cam cover ribs to help me, but who is to say that the bavarian taxi makers did not do the same I find that audi drivers are just as bad..they really hate being overtaken by Maestro van on motorway...they always go back past, then slow back down

Comment

I put 14"cheese graters on 55s smaller than it should be for the speedo but it gets the power band spot on for booting it at the lights hahaa
                  0-60 in 8.2 hours 1/4mile in time for breakfast but the rust wins hands down

Comment

Working...
                  X