1.6 S Series No Spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.6 S Series No Spark

Hello. I have a 1.6 S Series Meastro that has no spark. The coil has power to it, as does the crank sensor. I have changed the coil, the ignition ECU and the crank sensor but nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions, please?

Hi there, if no spark at the plug, renew the rotor arm. I have had failures of original, factory fitted, rotor arms (with the metal centre core) where the spark goes to earth instead of the spark plugs. It may be you need to turn the engine until the spark plug screw is at the top and soak the screw in oil to ease the thread lock used if it doesn't unscrew easily. Hope this helps. Previously if i try something (e.g replace the coil) to solve a problem and it doesn't work i tend to replace the original before changing something else otherwise you introduce too many variables.

1993 Rover Montego estate 2.0 LXi

1987 Austin Montego 1.6L Auto + pas
    1990 Rover Montego estate 1.6LX Auto
    1993 Rover Montego 2.0 SLXi Auto

Comment

Thanks, but there's no spark at the coil. Everything is new apart from the ECU.

Comment

No probs, if it was me i'd invest in a Haynes manual that lists various tests using a voltmeter and an ohmmeter to check battery condition, ECU wiring connector and ECU along with battery (+) to coil (-) terminal. and others beyond my pay grade. When you say no spark at coil i assume you mean there is no spark at the dizzy end of the coil lead? If not then you are into checking the electronic ignition circuitry. As the ECU hasn't been changed the test is as follows - Switch ignition off and connect an ohmmeter across terminals 4 and 6 of the ECU. Does the ohmmeter register approx 1.5k ohms? If so probably a faulty ECU. However and having written all this if the car was running normally with nothing previously disturbed and now suddenly it won't start i think the issue is probably more simple and in the HT or LT circuits. Maybe others can help with this? I understand the facebook group is more active for ideas if you haven't already posted on there. I'm sorry i can't be of more help. If you don't have a Haynes manual i can try to scan the relevant pages from the Montego 1.6 manual which i believe are the same set up.

1993 Rover Montego estate 2.0 LXi

1987 Austin Montego 1.6L Auto + pas
        1990 Rover Montego estate 1.6LX Auto
        1993 Rover Montego 2.0 SLXi Auto

Comment

Thanks, I'll try that on the ECU. I'm rebuilding a race car and have fitted a loom from a donor 1600, so there could be all sorts to check. I just wanted to ask in case there was something simple.

Comment

What voltage do you have at the coil + terminal when cranking?
            I am wondering if the bypass for the ballast resistance is no longer present (this comes from an auxiliary terminal on the starter motor).
            You should have approx 10 volts there during cranking: if it is much less than that there is probably not enough to get a spark from the coil.
            1983 (Y) MG 1600
            1985 MG EFi with digital dash (owned since 1987)
            1987 700 City 1.6 Van
            1988 Tandy camper 2.0D
            1990 Advantage, just 29k on the clock
            1990 Clubman D
            1990 MG 2.0i (spares donor)

(all Maestros)

Daily drive: Rover 25 GTi

Weekend rave: Honda Civic Type R GT

Current projects: Allegro 1.7HLS, Allegro Equipe

Comment

Yes, I've got 10 volts when cranking.

Comment