Monty 1.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monty 1.3

i've been after a monty 1.3 for a while. not sure why. currently own a '87 1.0 metro, '81 1.3 minivan, and an '87 fiat panda 4x4 and a '90 mk2 astra. seem to have a thing going for 80's cars...

spotted this on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

thing is thats 250 miles away, best quote for transport is ~£250. and it looks a little rotten around the rear screen, and where the sill meets the arch. and its not started for nearly 4 years.

if there was a way of gettin it back to blackpool cheap from norwich it would be nice, otherwise i just need someone to tell me not to buy it and wait for something better

i'd be happy to try and drive it 250 miles for an 'mot' but i dont think it'd start, never mind make it.

might go down tomorrow, any advice on what to look out for as ive not owned one before. or is it not worth me bothering.

anyone who has a means of cheap transport let me know

danny

Cool, the Blackpool Posse just doubled in size...wacha matey

There aren't many Austin Montego 1.3 cars to choose from these days, so I suppose if you really really want a 1.3 for the novelty-value then I suppose you've either just got to accept what comes up and find a way of getting it up here or wait for another car more local. Not much help, but I know what it's like living here on the Fylde coast: somehow you're cut off from everywhere!

Can I ask you what's drawing you especially to a 1.3 Monty?
    Regards
    John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
    MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

I know forum member 'ChrisM' asked for some photos of this car last time it was on eBay. If he still has them, i'm sure he will put them up here if you don't have them already.

Monty 1.3's don't come up for sale very often (as John says) - due to there not being many of them about! If you are serious about buying one, I would suggest you do research first (especially if new to the whole Maestro/Montego scene) so you know what you are getting yourself into...

I own one and it's absolutly superb! Sooo much better than the 1.3 Maestro! (however, thats just my own rose-tinted wiew!) Very much the under dog of the range and all too quickly dismissed.

Comment

Indeed, I have also been keeping half an eye out for one, I just think they're really cool, retro, and underrated! Here are the pics that the seller sent me. I was going to bid, but again it is just too far away...

Originally posted by Austin-Rover
        I own one and it's absolutly superb! Sooo much better than the 1.3 Maestro! (however, thats just my own rose-tinted wiew!) Very much the under dog of the range and all too quickly dismissed.
        I can understand you saying that, knowing TFC, even when he does live up to his name...! (That F'ing Car)

That said, I'm currently bonding with my 1.3 Maestro again at the moment.
        Attached Files

Comment

I doesn't look half bad in the extra pics. If the owner could have got pictures showing the car well from the front, it would have given the car much more character appeal and it may have got more interest than it has. If that paintwork polishes up alright, then you may just get away with a few localised repairs to make it a very clean looking car. I know its a basemodel but Montegos look strange to me with that interior. I'm so used to rear headrests through the rear screen!

Its only 70 miles up the road from me but I really don't have use for such a car other than rescuing it from the scrapper.

I reckon it'd probably start and run with a fresh battery and some new fuel.
          1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS x 2

MONTEGO - THE CAR THAT PUTS THE DRIVER FIRST

Comment

It's definatly had wheelarches in the past, the different colour and the fact the bottom of the sill sticks out at an angle proves that.

Comment

i dont know why i want one, possibly because i like cheap motoring, and rare cars. ive got some (fairly) quick ones with a twin weber DCOE'd astra with adjustable spax, and a 500kg van with a 1.3 mg engine also w/ spax, a 4x4 with off road tyres, and i have a retro looking metro city complete with recessed headlights, and a nice leather interior.

ive got enough A+ series parts in the garage as well.

how rare are they actually? this is the first i've seen for sale, but my lookout has been on and off. its hard to convince my parents i need another car

ive got all the pics off the guy now.

£300 seems a bit steep, but if theyre getting rare now and it *looks* ok, perhaps its not too bad

i'm assuming among you guys there are quite a few spares lying around.

cant decide whether to drive it back for an *mot*, even then i've got to get there, or just pay some recovery firm £250, or whether to wait and waste my money on some other shed that takes my fancy. i nearly bought a ledbury last week - not a shed but not quite the 02 reg corsa my neighbors would like me to own

danny

Comment

Originally posted by GarethKidman
                It's definatly had wheelarches in the past, the different colour and the fact the bottom of the sill sticks out at an angle proves that.
                I agree, the upper profile of the arch looks suspect too.
                My name is Darren.
                Home of a Maestro for 30 years.
                1983(Y)Maestro 1.3 HLE (Nellie) Very poorly
                1995 Rover 214SI
                2004 MG ZS 120
                2006 LandRover 90 TD5
                2014 Volvo V40 T3 R-Design.

Comment

As Gareth says, the arch on the drivers side atleast is definately new. If you buy it I'd definately check to see how well this has been done as when arch panels aren't lined up properly, it can mean that the old rotten arch is still underneath the new one.

As far as 1.3 Montys go, it looks like a reasonably solid car. It was never a popular model when new so it never sold in large numbers as was discontinued shortly after this one was made, although I would imagine a lot went to elderly drivers looking for an economical run about so there may still be a few good ones out there but it is definately an enthusiasts car now. As far as the petrol Montys go in Austin form, the HL is the best bread and butter model IMO but they are probably equally as rare as the 1.3 now.

Comment

Well, personally speaking, if you really really want a Monty (and why not) if I were you I'd find myself a nice 1.6 with similar miles. I'd only go for something like this car if it already was near enough a minter. Unless you're good with bodywork and mechanics like such as GK and others I can bet for sure it will turn out to be a money-pit. Yes I know most cars will happly take more money off you than what you'l get back, but other than it being a 1.3 Montego, to me there's nothing particularly special about it to make it worth restoring? E.g.: it hasn't got stupidly low miles with a tired body, or a bodywork which looks like it's just rolled out of Cowley but needs a bit of mechanical-sorting, nor is it say one of the very first Monties. To me there's nothing special about it to warrant buying it, and your money would be better spent elsewhere.

Just my opinion!
                    Regards
                    John Orrell

MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Originally posted by G51 NAV
                      Well, personally speaking, if you really really want a Monty (and why not) if I were you I'd find myself a nice 1.6 with similar miles. I'd only go for something like this car if it already was near enough a minter. Unless you're good with bodywork and mechanics like such as GK and others I can bet for sure it will turn out to be a money-pit. Yes I know most cars will happly take more money off you than what you'l get back, but other than it being a 1.3 Montego, to me there's nothing particularly special about it to make it worth restoring? E.g.: it hasn't got stupidly low miles with a tired body, or a bodywork which looks like it's just rolled out of Cowley but needs a bit of mechanical-sorting, nor is it say one of the very first Monties. To me there's nothing special about it to warrant buying it, and your money would be better spent elsewhere.

Just my opinion!
                      Good points. I guess it depends what type of enthusiast you are, as we all like different things.

My Monty 1.3 wasn't particularly special when I bought it. Okay, it was a car from early on in production, but the engine was tired, and the bodywork was untidy and rusty in some places. In the last 4 months, it’s had a brand new A Series engine put in it, and new sills on both sides, and it still looks tatty, but for relatively little cash, it’s now solid and runs spot on.

A 1.6 is better in terms of drivability – it’s more relaxed, but it’s missing something. My new 1.6 HL is very relaxing to drive. Like Ed says, it has to be the best all-round model made. It’s a different kettle of fish than the A Series. I still miss driving my 1.3. You can't beat the noises it makes and generally just how much more engaging the drive is as you waft along in your big slow barge. I don’t know what it is, but 1.3 Montegos have a special charm that none of the other models have. Rarity? Novelty? Personality? Fun factor?

Comment

Originally posted by Austin-Rover
                        I don’t know what it is, but 1.3 Montegos have a special charm that none of the other models have. Rarity? Novelty? Personality? Fun factor?
                        A Series

Comment

Rich your car is special because it's one of the earliest known survivors.

Personally I just look at that the photos of that car and see £££££££ disappearing down a deep well. It's colour is like a patchwork quilt: okay that could be due to fading but it could also be because of previously-bodged repairs. I don't like what's going on with the o/s rear wheel-arch and sill join at all. It looks like it's holding a little shop of horrors. The rest of the sill doesn't look much better. The n/s quarter-panel is rusting badly below the quarter-light, and that's a difficult repair unless you whip out the window. The rust has spread to underneath the rear window, too. And what's going on with the malfitting steering-cowl?

No way Hosé: that car's a money-pit.
                          Regards
                          John Orrell

MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

I guess if someone is really looking for a 1.3 Monty and a 1.3 Monty only, then a car like this is probably as good as you are likely to get. The body needs work but its not a wreck. I believe all 1.3 Montys were non-metallic and almost all I have seen for some reason suffer the rear quarterlight rot.

I personally wouldn't restore this car for myself as I am a fan of Austin/MG models HL and upwards but I'd support anyone wanting to restore this car if they know what is involved and are happy to spend the money needed to make it clean and tidy.

Comment

Originally posted by G51 NAV
                              ...It's colour is like a patchwork quilt...I don't like what's going on with the n/s rear wheel-arch and sill join at all...It looks like it's holding a little shop of horrors...The rest of the sill doesn't look much better...The o/s quarter-panel is rusting below the quarter-light

No way Hosé: that car's a money-pit.
                              My sills and arches were the same. You can tell mine are replacements - the profile is out on both. It was very crunchy behind what appeard to be nice metal on the sills. It's not now, however. And at the last count I think I had eight shades of 'Eclipse Blue'.

My car isn't a money pit either.

You take your chances with Maestros and Montegos. My first 1.3 Monty was hideous. It became legendary in the 'northern posse' for how bad it was. It became a benchmark to compare other rusty cars to! That looked the same as my blue 1.3 on the top, but horrors lurked beneath!

Personally, I would take that car on - if it were closer to home. It doesn't look too bad to me. Later cars usually look and rust far worse than that - I think the usual minor monty repairs would see that car on the road in not too long.

However, pictures paint a pretty picture. And who is to say it wont be like my first 1.3?

Comment

Working...
                              X