Monty 1.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roperman
    yeah. are there any known outside the club? i was suprised there are so few about when i started looking.
    Theres only one I can think of, and i'm not even sure it was a 1.3 come to think of it...I think it was at the BMC/BL Rally in 2004. F Reg? Metallic Green-like? Did I imagine it?

But at the moment, there are only two in the Club. And as everyone has said, they are mega rare!

Comment

won it

thats one more a series in my fleet, just hope i can fit it on the drive somewhere, and not getting in trouble from council/neighbours/parents (i dont even live at home except for weekends now when i work on em)

im sure a few have asked before, but is there anything i should do before i try to start it?
      apart from the obvious check fluids and turn it over by hand a couple of times making sure its pumping oil.

and if its seized, or clutch is seized, what do i do then? suppose i'll just have to see it first.

at least its the same colour as my metro, a nice faded lipari blue.
      Last edited by Roperman; 5th December 2005, 22:21. Reason: can't spell neighbours british way

Comment

the clutch should be ok also make sure the brakes are ok first are u driving it home or putting it on a trailer? the brakes on my a reg 1.6 where stuck but a little help from the engine and teh guy i got it from got em off.

Comment

trailering it back.been stood for a while so im assuming they will be stuck, the front disks are dark brown...

Comment

if u can get a good battery and stick it on take off the main ht lead and try and turn it over. then after that see if it will start it may take a while do to the pump being empty oh and some fresh petrol to this may be the only way u can see if it will run and move.

Comment

apparently the guy started it on jump leads first time - good old a series

thats pretty good for 3 years. saves me messing about too

danny

Comment

so what does it run like then u must get some more piccies for us all to see.

Comment

no brakes!

seemed a little bit smokey and rough but should be ok with a bit of a tune up i think (hope). doesnt like the throttle being applied. might actually have head gasket trouble as quite a lot of steam seemed to be coming out of the exhaust. might also explain the roughness.

body isnt that rough, but needs a new drivers front indicator, and front bumper is cracked. sills are ok but passenger side rear one is a bit crusty at back, but couldnt hole it. havent seen it in daylight and as im in manchester now wont till friday.

interior tatty, all seats have holes in the fabric. headlining ripped.

engine bay looked quite clean apart from the cob webs. oh and that gearbox is a nasty piece of work. makes you wonder why they used the vw one in the first place.

problem is the brake pedal goes to the floor with no effect, pumped it a bit and it didnt do anything, could be knackered master cylinder, air in lines, a holed line or bad rubber pipes. or something else... im not a brake expert. whats the best way to go about this. handbrake is fine however.

will get pics up friday . oh and my parents want to kill me

Comment

Excellent. I can't wait to see some decent pictures of it. Doesn't sound too bad.

Have fun!

Comment

oh and that gearbox is a nasty piece of work. makes you wonder why they used the vw one in the first place.
                      Why is it nasty? It was considered one of the best at the time BL chose it for use in the Maestro first and then the Monty, its strong but hasnt got the best change in the world but i've never seen a broken one.

The brake cylinders in the back drums have probably failed so renew all the braking components and bleed the system afterwards, its all cheap to do. When i first got my 1.3 Maestro the pedal was like that, went to the floor but after new cylinders, shoes, discs and pads was like new once bled.

I dont know why you think it has head gasket problems because steam is coming out of the back. Any temp below 10 degrees you are likely to see this on any engine, its just moisture. Its amazing the amount of people think their head gasket has gone this time of year! Considering the car hasnt been used for 3 years your lucky it starts at all!

Comment

i prefer my in sump a series one to that, but possibly the linkage has wear on it then. seems less precise than than my metro's which is cable tied on because i cant be bothered ordering those rubber bushes that always perish.

will check out the rear cylinders then. the brakes have no effect at all, but then the front ones are probably stuck and the rear cylinders gone if your right. discs look v. rusty.

a hell of a lot more than coming out of my a series metro, i compared the two.

Comment

are the estates rear cylinders same as saloons?

Comment

Why is it nasty? It was considered one of the best at the time BL chose it for use in the Maestro first and then the Monty, its strong but hasnt got the best change in the world but i've never seen a broken one.
                            My dad has "broken" two of the VW G/box in the past!

1st time the main shaft shot thru the end cap taking the gears with it, the 2nd was similar but although not as much damage the box was still buggered.

Mal.

Comment

does anyone know of any good places for spares in the north west? i could do with a front bumper and O/S indicator light, and interior.

and how much should i pay for rear cylinders on these, im assuming they're gonna be a bit rarer than my metro/mini ones at £2 a go, and front disks as they're pretty brown with rust

Comment

I can recommend a decent paintshop near us, if and when that time comes. Glad you beat the banger-racer
                                Regards
                                John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
                                MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Working...
                                X