Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo
    Hi Ed
    Is it the same man as mine that you got the panel from?
    Hi Jeff

Yep, the same guy, I mentioned that I'd spoken to you about them. He now only has one left so if anyone needs one, I'd hurry. It fitted nicely into the back of the 214 with the seats down, I was worried it wouldn't fit. I did 400 miles today, I didn't think the 214 had it in her! :laugh:

All I need to do now is find a good local bodyshop for the restoration. I am thinking of a similar job as Simons Maestro Mayfair as I plan to keep the car for many years.
    1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS x 2

MONTEGO - THE CAR THAT PUTS THE DRIVER FIRST

Comment

Whatever happened to this car? Is it still with us?

Comment

Thats gorgous!! i am jealous!! Well done on that find, enjoy!!!

Comment

Steve Smith has it now
          1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
          1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
          1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
          2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
          2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
          2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

I can see on steve's list every other car. But no HLS?

Whats happened to it steve? sold?scrapped? etc

Comment

Steve said the rust was, basically holding the car together. With Ed letting it go it must be beyond repair, so I think it's been stripped and scrapped.
              1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
              1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
              1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
              2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
              2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
              2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

I can confirm that this car is no longer with us. I know people will be disappointed but not more than me I can assure you. I was gutted and very distressed at the demise of this car. I have never had such a hard time deciding to part with a Montego, and I have owned over 30. It was sold in good faith for restoration to give the car a fighting chance as the extent of the rust issues were way beyond my capabilities and I couldn't get anyone to quote me for repairs. Removal of the interior and carpet had revealed very serious rust in structural areas, even more serious than had first been realised.

I saved the car from the scrapper (thanks to Simon). I held onto it for as long as I could to decide how best to restore it, but it's issues were too great for me to undertake, so it was passed onto someone else who said they would undertake the repairs. Unfortunately that hasn't happened, but although it is the only HLS Montego to surface within the club in recent years, there are more out there and one day I will find one that I can manage.

In the meantime, my HL is unrealistically rust-free and that car continues to be treated like the precious jewel it has been since new. I have now had it for two years and I cannot ever expect to find a better example costing only 100 notes. Something we should all remember is not to take for granted, cars like the HL. Just because the HLS had a few more bells and whistles, it didn't prove to be a better car than its lesser equipped younger brother. Survival of the fittest perhaps? Harsh, but true?

Can we leave it at that please.

Thanks.
                1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS x 2

MONTEGO - THE CAR THAT PUTS THE DRIVER FIRST

Comment

Working...
                X