32 miles from home & look what happened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32 miles from home & look what happened

Something TERRIBLE happened yesterday to my Turbo on the way back from the MGOC Lancashire Lanes Run:

The digit on the odometer that's read "2" for the last 10 YEARS has moved onto a "3"

Oh, woe is me!!!!

I think I'm going to need therapy
    Regards
    John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
    MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

on average how many miles do you do a year in it John? I think i cover about 1500 in my 1.3

Andy
    CURRENT FLEET:
    1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
    1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
    1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
    2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
    1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

Comment

Quick, take it out, click it back to a 2, you can claim it as an original feature or something, surely, if it's been that way for the last ten years!:laugh:

Comment

Originally posted by H48HPE
        on average how many miles do you do a year in it John? I think i cover about 1500 in my 1.3

Andy
        *consults spreadsheet* well we've done 2,207 miles in it since we bought it in December 2002 so that works out at an average of about 590 miles a year. Last year we hardly used it though: it only did just 107 miles between its MOTs in August 05 and August 06 It'll be quite a bit higher than that next year: we put nearly 140 miles on it yesterday alone :laugh:
        Regards
        John Orrell

MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Originally posted by G51 NAV
          Something TERRIBLE happened yesterday to my Turbo on the way back from the MGOC Lancashire Lanes Run:

The digit on the odometer that's read "2" for the last 10 YEARS has moved onto a "3"

Oh, woe is me!!!!

I think I'm going to need therapy
          Yikes! Anyone would have thought cars were for using, the way they give you seven rolls of numbers on the odometer! :laugh:

Comment

Drat!

I too watch digits change

(I well remember my first R8 making 100k- and the final digit appearing.Later that day I was talking to a Ford owner who was surprised Rover group cars had the seventh digit -his Ford didn't- I told him straight 'Rover expect their cars to do a Million miles on average' )
            My name is Darren.
            Home of a Maestro for 30 years.
            1983(Y)Maestro 1.3 HLE (Nellie) Very poorly
            1995 Rover 214SI
            2004 MG ZS 120
            2006 LandRover 90 TD5
            2014 Volvo V40 T3 R-Design.

Comment

I appreciate that cars need using, but just imagine in about 20 years time you see this MG Maestro Turbo in the same excellent condition, with just 35k miles on it. :laugh:

It is a credit to John, just look at how many Turbo's have 75k miles and over on the clock. Well done, mate.
              Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
              VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
              J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroSpecial
                I appreciate that cars need using, but just imagine in about 20 years time you see this MG Maestro Turbo in the same excellent condition, with just 35k miles on it. :laugh:

It is a credit to John, just look at how many Turbo's have 75k miles and over on the clock. Well done, mate.
                Ironically not using cars is the easiest thing in the world.
                (But keeping them in perfect order is not)
                My name is Darren.
                Home of a Maestro for 30 years.
                1983(Y)Maestro 1.3 HLE (Nellie) Very poorly
                1995 Rover 214SI
                2004 MG ZS 120
                2006 LandRover 90 TD5
                2014 Volvo V40 T3 R-Design.

Comment

The combined mileage on all three of them is 106k:

MG Turbo: 30k
                  VP Maestro: 40k
                  MG ZR: 36k

My dad always said that when he started driving in the late 50s if a car had done over 50,000 miles it was rebuild-time. I assured him that, to keep with tradition, modern Fords are still the same :laugh:
                  Regards
                  John Orrell

MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Thats nothing John!

When I bought my van 3 years ago, it was just about to turn 90k, three years on, it has done 126k and in the last 8 months, I have been doing more miles than ever what with the new buisiness and all. I now average about 400-500 miles a WEEK! This is what happens when you have to use somthing every day.

Mind you, in comparison, I think the DLX has covered about 2000 miles since I bought that and that must have been two or more years ago now.

Rich

Comment

on the subject of mileage, when i bought my maestro TD on the 23rd of july it had 51,900 miles on the clock. today, the 11th september it has 57,436 on the clock. This car is a true daily hack

thats amazing though john, a very special car

Comment

Mileage

Originally posted by G51 NAV
                        The combined mileage on all three of them is 106k:

MG Turbo: 30k
                        VP Maestro: 40k
                        MG ZR: 36k
                        My MG Maestro Turbo has more than all three of your combined!

Last edited by matthewsemple; 11th September 2006, 22:10. Reason: Mileage

Comment

:laugh:

Yeah they can quite easily swallow-up the miles. Before buying the Turbo our previous EFi's had all been the daily hacks, though I looked after them as much as I could
                          Regards
                          John Orrell

MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Originally posted by matthewsemple
                            My MG Maestro Turbo has more than all three of your combined!
                            My father's MG is still happy at more than the double of that. I have probably too many cars myself, so that the mileage is split between them - the Maestro still taking the majority...

Alexander
                            http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/index....berbouckef.htm

Comment

To go back to the ford thing, my Dad's boss had a mk1 Mondeo TD which clocked up 330,000 miles. Before the crank fell apart!

Our fleet is a mixed bag. 35k Mini, 60k Maestro, 139k 2CV!

Ian

Comment

Working...
                              X