No announcement yet.

1.3 HL into MG Turbo 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

have not desided on which bumpers yet. Maybe efi ones or the turbo ones. The turbo ones i have are very badly damaged but maybe repairable. The side sils and rear spoliers are going on.

Do montego bumpers fit? Wonder what an Mg Montego bumper would look like on it

Comment

Montego bumpers won't fit. The front can be made to fit if you go to the trouble of putting a Montego front end on, which is possible but the results are very much "open to personal taste" :laugh: The Tickford front bumper actually worsens the car's drag-factor (by 0.01) compared the standard plastic bumper, but how material that is when expressed as a drop in mpg, a drop in acceleration-time or reduced top speed, I'm not sure.
      Regards
      John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
      MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Montego bumpers will be the same width overall, but the problem is their length and the fact the Montego is more box shaped, as it doesn't have the same angle to each corner as the Maestro.

Whichever bumpers you choose, it will look interesting in Opaline Green...
        Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
        VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
        J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Comment

Its all very well congratulating him restoring another maestro turbo - however if your prepared to re shell illegally - make sure you do it well - as if heaven forbid you ever have an accident - your insurance will be void at first inspection regardless of circumstances! The implications of that for a 24 year old would - well

www.mgmaestroturbo.com Home of the Twincharged Maestro.

2014 Vauxhall Mokka 4x4 Turbo - Tech line

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Brock
            Its all very well congratulating him restoring another maestro turbo - however if your prepared to re shell illegally - make sure you do it well - as if heaven forbid you ever have an accident - your insurance will be void at first inspection regardless of circumstances! The implications of that for a 24 year old would - well
            How have you worked out that i am reshelling the car illegally?????

I am NOT moving VIN numbers from one shell to another. Maestro Turbo 316 will be scraped.

The DVLA will be told of the change to the engine CC and new engine number.

The MG body kit and other trim parts are cosmitic items, so the DVLA dont require and are not intersted with which body kit/bumpers/seats/trim /wheels B***JNH will be wearing.

The suspension/gearbox/brakes/finaldrive are all brand new componants so are not bits swapped over from the Turbo, and as for the parts that are swapped, it is no different from buying second hand parts from a scrap yard.

My insurance company will be told about everything that has been done to the vehicle.

So a still cannot see how you haver come to the conclusion that i am breaking the law

Comment

Shame you chose a turbo to be the donor car
              Rover 200 and 400 Owners Club (for wedge shape rovers, including coupe, tourer and cabriolet). - www.rover200.org.uk

Comment

The turbo was going to be scrapped otherwise. It has done 231000 miles, and the shell is unrepairable. So it could have been crushed in a scrap yard, or i could remove all the useful bits and give the bits i dont need to others on here at very low prices.

The HL was also going to be scrapped if i hadnt have brought it.

Comment

oh dear beware of bodgers

Well having removed the o series turbo engine and with the information that the engine was rebuilt at 190k so only 41k ago, i though that it would be a case of getting the turbo reconded (done by turbotechnics) and the new gearbox fitted to the engine and the engine into B***JNH..................but it was not to be.

On removing the engine i found that when the engine had been removed pervoiusly one of the rear engine mount bolts had been broken but instead of drilling and retapping they just refitted the engine with 2 bolts , so on removing the mount another one snapped But that is not all it did seem strange to me that ever single seal on this 'rebuilt engine' was leaking. So i though well i will just replace the seals and gaskets. Well the reason for the leaks was easy to find, most of the gaskets had been replaced by silcone andhyomar sealants, or what seems to be old seals. The valves and cylinder head is choked with carbon and soot, and on removing the sump i found a lot of sticky goo. Wynns engine knock stop i suspect.

So been the perfectist i am the engine is going to be rebuilt. I have stripped it all down (crank pulley broken when removing but have found brand new one from dealer ) and it is now down at a trusted engineering firm that are doing serviceablitly checks on everthing......................................... ...........all is not good
                  Crank need grinding........exshaut valve stem guides are worn..............block needs rebore by 1 mm oversize, wjhich means i need to get some oversized pistons made up...............got a quote £150 each oh well i know where the money from the ZS is going now.

At least at the end i will have a nice new unquie car, which is just as well as i cannot afford to tax a modern brand new performance car.

Comment

Oh ffs, as you say the world is so full of total BODGERS! You will have a very unique car when it's finished, though somewhat out of pocket . Good luck.
                    Regards
                    John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
                    MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

If you are spending £600 on pistons why not get some forged ones made?
                      Rover 200 and 400 Owners Club (for wedge shape rovers, including coupe, tourer and cabriolet). - www.rover200.org.uk

Comment

Or why not get a replacement lump? far cheaper.

mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Beaker
                          If you are spending £600 on pistons why not get some forged ones made?
                          These ones will be forged. This is the company http://www.accralite.com/accralite/

Has anyone used them before?

mal.

I have not been able to find one. Has anyone got one or are able to help?

Comment

Penelope Pistons

There was a company a while back who had seemed to have bought up the last/a job lot of oversize O series turbo pistons.
                            They kept appearing on flea-bay (complete sets) and were fetching good money (BIN £170/£200? ish).
                            I think it was down to "careful" advetising by the seller, as they used to say that there weren't many sets left, so people who owned turbo's/were looking to rebuild them used to be "scared?" into bidding extra.
                            Then I think all the people that genuinely needed them had bought them, demand dropped and a few sets appeared that went for reasonable money.
                            I cant remember the sellers flea-bay I.D. but do know that were in the Stourport area (Worcs) as I had a Diesel Waterpump off them and picked it up.
                            If you search on here (a long time back 2/3 years??) or Triple M you may find the threads/topics about it.
                            Thanks

Comment

I enquired recently with them and they had none left sadly. Luckily I managed to pick a set up that was sold on unused.
                              www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                              www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                              www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Has anyone used them before?

mal.

I have not been able to find one. Has anyone got one or are able to help?

Are you free on Sunday?

I have a spare lump in the barn.

Taken from an 87 Monty Turbo before it was scrapped for terminal rot I believe.

I purchased it as a spare from a reliable Monty/maestro turbo owner, so apart from a bloody good service and clean up, it should just 'Drop in'.

Pm me if interested.

mal.

Comment

Working...
                                X