Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stolen cars

Hi all,

I've noticed alot of cars getting nicked recently and i wanted to make this post to show you what happened to my car after it got nicked last week..

So, PLEASE if you haven't already done so get an alarm/immobiliser fitted - I was unfortunate in the fact that i had one ready and waiting to fit, but alas i couldn't find the time.

We all know how easy it is to break into a Maestro/Montego, after what i'm feeling right now i wouldn't want any of you guys to go through it so i'm kinda reaching out to make you stop and think what could happen to your classic!

Cheers then,

Oli.
    Last edited by Oli; 6th June 2008, 10:21.

I feel soo sorry for ya mate, i hope "Someone" catches who ever did that.

RIP MAA

Comment

Yikes, that's horrific Oli, sorry to hear about that I never park my car anywhere without my trusty DiskLock - as you say our cars are very easy to break into, I managed to lock my keys in a previous car once and get in the lock with a teaspoon!! An immobiliser is a good idea, even if it is just a hidden switch that takes the -ve feed of the coil, but I always feel a big chunky visual deterrent is a better idea! I'm guessing that the Acclaim is a write off are you able to secure any of the parts to use for otheres, or is it all gonna be cubed?

Comment

How terribly sad...surely the perpetrators didn't literally walk away from that wreck? It looks to have been rolled after a pretty hot persuit!

All this makes me seriously wonder whether or not it's wise to continue to use old cars as daily transport. As they increasingly become the only feasible targets due to modern cars' better resistance to theft, I'm beginning to think if you really can't keep cars without alarms locked in a secure garage when they're not in use, it's not 'if' they'll get nicked it's 'when'.

Delocking and very visible physical or electronic deterrent is the only way. It still won't stop yobs bricking the window and torching it though.
        Regards
        John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
        MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Christ Oli, the photo you sent me yesterday (Low-res version of the 3rd down) made me think it was bad - but this...

I feel bad seeing that and knowing how much she meant to you, and she's not even my car! God knows how you must feel.
          Sam Skelton

RED995R - Triumph Stag - Once shot by Sir Patrick Stewart.
          E225CMV - Austin Montego 2.0HL - "Like an MG on weed!"
          H475PDA - Rover Montego DSLX auto - Possibly unique
          J615NJU - SAAB 9000 2.3 Turbo - Replacing gearbox. Then selling..
          L384WRH - Citroen XM TCT SEi auto - The Starship Francoprise...
          OV02MZY - Volvo V70 T5 SE - Replaced by above. For sale soon.
          PA02DXB - Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE auto - Bought because it was cheap. Fleet getting out of hand now.

Comment

Oh dear... What a sad picture.

What's this with all these old cars getting stolen in the UK? Do I need to think of buying a disk lock or something when travelling the UK? I'm actually used to think that these cars do not raise any interest with anyone - surely I can park it up anywhere in my town unlocked for weeks without anyone taking interest.

Regards,

Alexander
            http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/index....berbouckef.htm

Comment

I remember the photos of that car when you first bought it, was a minter. Hope the scum that stole it were seriously hurt!
              MG Maestro Turbo #500
              BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
              Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
              Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

its a damn shame Mr South but at least you have the memories

Comment

Originally posted by G51 NAV
                  I'm beginning to think if you really can't keep cars without alarms locked in a secure garage when they're not in use, it's not 'if' they'll get nicked it's 'when'.
                  This is the third time i have posted this picture this week. If you haven't got the time or money to fit an immobiliser then you cannot beat these:

They cost £59 and when they were tested independently, an experienced locksmith with all his tools took 45 minutes to get it off the wheel.

No fitting is required, no modification to the car - you just fit it to the wheel before you leave your car. Because the wheel is completely covered you cannot cut the wheel to remove it and they cannot be tampered with like those old ratchet based Krookloks. There are several notches in the clamp so you can fit it tight to the wheel which means the stick hits the windscreen if you try to drive with it on.

It looks plastic but they are made of a heavy duty metal which is much thicker than the steel used to make car panels. This makes the casing very stiff and it cannot be cut with metal cutters.

So unless you have a £50 note on the driver's seat there is no point the thief even breaking your glass to have a go. They will simply move on to another car that has less security.
                  Last edited by matthewsemple; 6th June 2008, 13:44.

Comment

This is sickening. My bet is that the b**tards were barely old enough to drive. I always have been cynical about these steering wheel locks though I have to admit the one shown by Matt is the best one I've seen. Still won't stop your car being vandalised. Best answer is just not to park anywhere public at all .

1989 MG Maestro Turbo no.399

1994 Maestro Clubman Turbo Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by M170 RFA
                      This is sickening. My bet is that the b**tards were barely old enough to drive. I always have been cynical about these steering wheel locks though I have to admit the one shown by Matt is the best one I've seen. Still won't stop your car being vandalised. Best answer is just not to park anywhere public at all .
                      Yes most steering locks are useless because a small section can be cut from the wheel allowing them to be removed. The old ratchet Krookloks that go round the clutch and through the wheel can be removed without damaging either the car or the lock.

If you have one of these your car is not secure - the thieves know how to open them in seconds. Throw it away and buy a Disklok.

Comment

Oh my God, Oli. That's absolutely sickening. I'm really sorry to see that. The f*****g b*****s deserve a damn good kicking into next week. As I've said before I hope someone comes along and does the same to their most valuable possession.

I think I'll be fitting an alarm, immobiliser and a Disklok from now on. You just can't leave these cars anywhere but locked away in a garage or blocked in on a driveway like mine are. We have CCTV and floodlight here, also.

Good message though, Oli - There seems to be loads of our cars being stolen recently. I think EVERYONE with a Maestro, Montego, Metro or any other classic needs to really think about security.
                        Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
                        VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
                        J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Comment

I am so gutted for you and your Acclaim. This seems to be happening a lot lately, first the VP Monty, then a load of Maestros, now this. What is going on?

This is definitely a message to everyone still lucky enough to have a Monty/Maestro sitting outside without any means of security (myself included).

Sad times. Lets just hope that this evil run of stolen cars comes to an end now.
                          1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS x 2

MONTEGO - THE CAR THAT PUTS THE DRIVER FIRST

Comment

Wow. What a sad end to a lovely little Acclaim. It annoys me that over the last twenty or so years that car will have been loved and looked after so much more than its brother and sister Acclaims, only to meet its end at the hands of scum.

Recently I have become complacent about using my Disclock - i'm going to have to rethink when and where I use it.

I reckoned on older cars being passed over in favour for newer models that look better, go faster and can provide more 'fun' to criminals. However, for the little 15 year olds with nothing better to do they are prime targets because you can break into the things with little more than a spoon.

Comment

That looked a lovely Rattan Beige Acclaim! Sorry to see it like that. Lets hope the scum got hurt!
                              I remember the Acclaim's when they were new as we had some on the hire fleet where I was a driver cleaner in the 80's! We had a Rattan Beige HL model on an "A" reg, the number escapes me at present.

Comment

Working...
                              X