No announcement yet.

Stolen cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disklok gets my vote. I've got 2 of them and they have proved their worth. My car remained untouched yet 2 other in the same car park suffered attempted break ins. Mine was the easiest by far to steal yet remained untouched because of the huge visual deterrant.

I've recommended them for years in all the car security threads that come up. They are more effective than any alarm or secret cutoff switches etc.
    www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
    www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
    www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

You've got 2 Wow, I bet the cheeky so and so would be livid if they managed to break through the first one only to find another

Comment

I'll be purchasing two Diskloks as well. After the serial thefts over the last couple of months, I'm not risking losing either of mine.
        1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS x 2

MONTEGO - THE CAR THAT PUTS THE DRIVER FIRST

Comment

For what it is worth the handbrake locks are almost useless and can be removed in seconds from most cars, including the M cars.
          www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
          www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
          www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Originally posted by E_T_V
            For what it is worth the handbrake locks are almost useless and can be removed in seconds from most cars, including the M cars.
            Yes I was about to say that but wasn't sure if I should post this but as it is common knowledge amongst theives, I am sure there is no harm. If your gearknob unscrews then the gearlock can be slipped off the gearstick. Some of them have collars to prevent this but I am sure they can be removed easily as well.

Handbrake Locking Device - Attaches and locks the handbrake to the gear lever. Easy to install and remove
            Indeed!
            Last edited by matthewsemple; 9th June 2008, 21:54.

Comment

Originally posted by E_T_V
              Disklok gets my vote.
              I've recommended them for years in all the car security threads that come up. They are more effective than any alarm or secret cutoff switches etc.
              i took dans advice on what car security to fit to my maestro.his advice was dont get a alarm get a disklock, and make sure you use it.
              Tony Hague

A clear enthusiast - or a nutter?

Comment

I bought one of those gear stick locks a week before my car was stolen. It was no good. When I went to see the car in the pound I didn't bother to retrieve it!

Comment

Seems disklocks are the way forward. One idea I had was a device that engages the clutch, lets see them thwart that! But its a lot of effort to install

Sorry about the car Oli.

Comment

Originally posted by rfreedman
                    I bought one of those gear stick locks a week before my car was stolen. It was no good. When I went to see the car in the pound I didn't bother to retrieve it!
                    Sorry to hear your car was stolen. Was it removed in the way I suggested? In that picture above (which is from an advert for the item) you can see how you can use the yellow bar itself to lever it off.

Comment

Great shame. Don't see many Acclaim's around now! Though I did see one locally recently.

Comment

Bought my Disk-Lok today! I hope everyone else is taking similar precautions...
                        Attached Files
                        1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS x 2

MONTEGO - THE CAR THAT PUTS THE DRIVER FIRST

Comment

Glad to see you got the snazzy silver one.

I need one in Oporto now.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed
                            Bought my Disk-Lok today!
                            Good man!

Comment

Nice one, Ed. I'll have to do the same. Thinking of an alarm system, as well.

I hope you're covering the dash on sunny days, that's something I'm paranoid about!
                              Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
                              VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
                              J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Comment

Smart move, Ed!

For anyone else who hasn't got one yet: Every day you think about it is an opportunity for thieves to steal your car.

Comment

Working...
                                X