• 1987 Austin Montego 1.6HL

D862 VPU

Date of first registration:
    16th March 1987
    Colour: Silver Leaf Metallic
    Engine & Gearbox: S Series 1600 with 5 speed VW gearbox
    Purchased: November 2005
    Approximate mileage: 90,000

The second of the 'HL Twins' (See this thread here) that started out as an (almost) matching pair from the same Essex dealership over 25 years ago. D862 VPU has been in my ownership since 2005 and is now my longest serving Maestro or Montego. Many have come and gone since 2005! It served as my everyday car for two years, but despite my best efforts this took a toll on the bodywork and 2010 saw significant surgery with new rear wheel arches and a partial respray. It now enjoys a quieter retirement venturing out for car shows, holidays and whenever I feel like! This keeps a smile on my face, and the odometer keeps turning...

Not long after purchase I began adding my own personal touch to the car. My modifications are all 'Austin Rover inspired' using genuine Austin Rover parts.

So far the enhanced specification includes;

GSi 'dish' alloy wheels
    Rover Accessory sunroof wind deflector
    Colour coded wing mirror covers
    Courtesy light delay
    MG'F' rear view mirror with interior lighting
    C-post interior lighting a la Vanden Plas Montego
    Rover Accessory rear screen sun blind.
    Philips R960 stereo radio cassette with six disc CD changer.

Further bodywork repairs are planned for the coming months and also the fitting of a Montego headlamp wash kit.

Key to photographs:

1) November 2005 - as purchased
    2) Daily use...in all weathers!
    3) Return to the supplying dealership, T.V. Smith, 2008
    4) 2010 - after bodywork.
    Attached Files

Looks great Richard!
    Regards
    John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
    MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

I know this Forum is probably the last place to try and re-home a Maestro or Montego...but does anyone fancy giving this Montego a new home?

It's taxed, MoT'd (May 2015) and runs, but needs work both mechanically and bodily.

It needs attention to front suspension (possibly strut bearings)
      Incontinent S-Series engine covered in oil (don't they all do that?)
      All four doors going crusty on the inner edge and just about to make itself known on the visible side
      Accident with a full tank of fuel and a closed garage on a hot day stripped all the paint off the rear wing below the filler. Passable rattle-can job applied.
      Tyres age-expired rather than worn.
      Car will not come with the sunroof and window deflectors or the R960 Stereo and CD changer.

The thought of having a spring clean in the fleet has been simmering in the background for many months and began with the HLS, which has a new home pencilled in for 2015. Realistically it makes no sense to have time, money and other resources spread over so many cars. For the past few years the HL has seen very little use all the while it slowly deteriorates and fights for the required attention with the other cars.

I figure If I were to re-home this car, now is a good time. The weather is good, the car is road legal and a new owner might get a bit of use out of it before deciding on any repairs.

Get in touch if you fancy a running project.

Comment

Looks great, where did you get the wind deflectors?

Comment

Wow Rich, I never thought I'd see the day. Hope a suitable owner can be found for HL2.
          1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS x 2

MONTEGO - THE CAR THAT PUTS THE DRIVER FIRST

Comment

Were you drinking last night Rich?

Comment

No. I was sober I can assure you!

Just trying to be realistic in terms of money, time and effort - not to mention having stuff stored here, there and everywhere.

This means being realistic about the stuff that stays being in the best (or better) condition.

Comment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-Mon...item4adf1e48ba

Up for sale in Darlington.(couldn't see it mentioned on recent post's.)

Comment

Them pictures have been taken at units at Aycliffe round the corner from where I work. Just down the road from Darlington. Bloke doesn't seem to have kept it for long!
                  MG Maestro Turbo #500
                  BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
                  Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
                  Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

It's a shame to see it up for sale again so soon. This car needs to find a forever home.

I would also like to object to his statement that he has the only 1.6HL left on the road... I happen to know first hand that the stable-mate of this car is very much still on the road (although a little poorly).

Comment

I'm the owner of this Montego now....bought it on 18th August 2015

Hoping to keep it for a long time..

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby-Mel View Post
                        I'm the owner of this Montego now....bought it on 18th August 2015

Hoping to keep it for a long time..

Bob
                        Well done Bob
                        Hope you're happy with it
                        1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                        1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                        1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                        2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
                        2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                        2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Welcome Bob. I used to own this car back in 2005 so it's nice to see it staying on the radar.

I also own an almost identical silver HL that came from the same dealer as yours.

Comment

Bought this off Russ Swift, the stunt driver..took her out for 1st drive today, a few rattles and squeaks, but hopefully get those sorted.

The wheelnut covers on the alloy wheels are very loose, so maybe thats where a few rattles are coming from...need advice on getting them off, and see if I can reinforce them..

Bob

Comment

Here's a picture of your car with my car shortly after i acquired it in 2005.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X