F312GKL - Mayfair 2.0i - Mavis!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F312GKL - Mayfair 2.0i - Mavis!

As some of you will know I have been talking about getting a Montego for a good while now - well I have finally stopped kicking tyres and talking about it and gone and got one!! Apologies in advance for what is probably a much longer than needed post!

I have had an itch to get a Monte for a long time, back in the day my dad had 5 in a row of various specs so this was always a bit of nostalgia trip - I seemed to live in Austin Rover showrooms in the 80s!!

Sadly the mother of a close friend passed away last year and left me a small amount of money to do 'something daft' with - being a BMW driver all her live not sure she would approve the car but certainly the concept and so F312GKL is named Mavis in her honour. This really drove my budget as I didn't want to add to it as somehow that wouldn't be the same - daft but I wanted to be able to say it was from her legacy . I came very close to buying the moonraker 1.6L but logistics went against us and even closer to buying Hazel's gold Mayfair which is a great car but my imposed budget was just out (I do still lust after 495 a bit though...)

So the search went on - and thanks to quite a few on this forum for advice and tips along the way. So, pushed on by a couple of glasses of red wine I managed to win Mavis on eBay and managed to arrange collection to coincide with a work trip to London to help with the collection expenses! Mavis has been on here a couple of times through eBay links and attracted positive comments - and some of you will have seen her at POL and Brooklands . The seller kindly met me at Gatwick airport train station - and Mavis looked just amazing pulling into the drop off zone. Atlantic blue really does looks well in good light and has a great depth to it even though its in need of some wax. We then drove the 15 minutes home to exchange paperwork. I was instantly impressed - the car was smooth and quiet and handled the brief motorway well - it was unusually sunny and even the sunroof was put to use! The interior is great - could do with a good deep clean but all there - headlining is trying to be a carpet as usual but not too low so not on the desperate priority list. When we arrived I had a good look round - she is by no means perfect and the body isn't as clean as Hazel's for example but only light cosmetics and some touch up jobs for me. There are a couple of scabs - the worst on the cills hidden by closed doors but it all looks to be surface not structural so I will practice my painting! Then the usual stone chips and car park knocks - some tired plastic chrome that will need looking at. I am being picky though and it was certainly as described and when you aren't right up on it then it looks very classy - I love the colour combo.

So money was exchanged and the seller said good bye to Mavis leaving him with only 19 BL and Lada cars in his fleet!! I did see a very nice range rover and a maxi is a lovely jade blue in my brief visit. A top bloke and BMC/BL fan - pleasure to deal with and genuine guy. In his ownership Mavis has seen a couple of new tyres, new set of rimmer bros wheel trims, wiper motor, full service including cam belt and even some random parts left in the boot!! Sadly no history or books so I will be on the look out for those.

So phase one of the London to Edinburgh (well Dunfermline) run commenced. Staying in central London for work I booked a hotel with car park and at the end of the A40 for easy escape the next afternoon. Filled the tank (note very strange non standard fuel cap - as noted as advisory on MOT! - which will need replacing) and headed on M23. I can only say that she drives very much like a modern car! Sat at 70 no problem and got some nice glances - especially from those being overtaken! I am amazed by this, as I was when I initailly got my E30. My first car at the time was 17 years old and it was night and day to a modern car - Mavis however - while dated cruises comfortably and quietly! Central London with no power steering - bring it on! Only got lost once and made a detour to drive the Mayfair through Mayfair - sadly couldn't find a decent photo op!! I have driven many cars over the years some in the sports and luxury brackets - but I don't think anything has made me smile as much as driving Mavis round central london - what a gas!! Anyway - hotel found and Mavis tucked up for the night in the underground car park.

Next afternoon we started north - she started which I was irrationally nervous about - and hit the road - windows down and roof open (again I was slightly worried the journey would not be that comfortable if they didn't close again!! A superb, comfortable cruise at motorway speeds - the drivers seat is a bit sunken compared to the passenger (might swap them if thats possible) but still very comfortable. So we made it to Stoke in good time - I pulled off to stop at my parents for a butty. Filled up and according to Fuelly 41MPG - I was blown away - thats just great - especially with unleaded coming down in price just now! Dad was very impressed with the nostalgia trip - a long time since a Montego had been on the drive - and in the colour of his last one - although he was a bit jealous it was a Mayfair and with the EFI engine! Mum just gently mocked - she clearly doesn't understand!

On the road again and back home north of the border by 10 o'clock - London to Dunfermline in 9 and a half hours with a couple of stops and tea in there - arrived refreshed and the MPG I am frankly amazed by!

First job if I can find time away from playing with the family is a deep clean inside and out and then assess what bits I need to do. So thats the story so far - I will get some decent pictures up as soon as I can - before and after the clean all being well. As I get into the detail I'm sure I will be asking some daft questions for more help and advice. Hoping to get to at least one show with the club as well - BMC and Leyland day seems favourite just need to refer to my social secretary!! I plan to use Mavis daily at least during the summer - not huge mileages planned (insurance is capped at 5000 but I doubt I will go near that!). There is probably no one left reading now but if you are thanks for bearing with me!!

Not sure if I have done it properly but hopefully attached are some especially poor iphone pics - the first fill up - the Hilton underground car park - on my mum and dads drive - and pilots view of the M74!
    Attached Files
    1989 Montego Mayfair EFI
    1989 BMW 316i
    2013 BMW 320d Touring
    2014 Nissan Leaf. Shhhhhh

Treasurer
    Join the M&MOC | Visit the Club Shop | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

A very nice example indeed. Would have been registerd in Kent somewhere (GKL).

Comment

Originally posted by The Express Valeter View Post
      A very nice example indeed. Would have been registerd in Kent somewhere (GKL).
      Barretts of Canterbury - dealer plates, sticker, tax disc holder and key ring in place!!

I elderly owner then the guy I bought it from!
      1989 Montego Mayfair EFI
      1989 BMW 316i
      2013 BMW 320d Touring

Treasurer

Comment

Excellent story! Welcome to Montego ownership. Extra marks awarded for buying one so far from home.

Comment

Lovely car

Comment

Originally posted by seacow View Post
            Barretts of Canterbury - dealer plates, sticker, tax disc holder and key ring in place!!

I elderly owner then the guy I bought it from!
            Strangely when I posted up earlier I was going to say Barretts but I didn't want to look either smug or idiot lol.

Comment

Excellent write up and lovely car. Always liked Mayfairs
              1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
              1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
              1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
              2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
              2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
              2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Great story Andy and I'm pleased that you are happy with the car, it certainly looks lovely in the pics and as good as I remember it when I last saw it at Brooklands. Glad you got there in the end and has been good talking to you recently. Hope to see you in the near future mate

Comment

Thanks for all the nice comments guys - really pleased with Mavis still. Managed to find time for a wash and some pics - so have added an album. Not touched the interior and wax is needed soon! We were lucky to get some sun today and she looks beautiful in said sunshine!!

Cheers
                  1989 Montego Mayfair EFI
                  1989 BMW 316i
                  2013 BMW 320d Touring

Treasurer

Comment

Just got back from holiday to a great letter from Barrett's of Canterbury who supplied Mavis and have done nearly all the MOTs I know about. I found a name who runs their archive. Anyway she was able to send me a copy of the full service history back to 1992. Serviced every year and quite a few bits of bodywork!!! I think it may have had a wing at some point and the rear arches have been done. I was over the move to come back to this and felt the need to share !!
                    1989 Montego Mayfair EFI
                    1989 BMW 316i
                    2013 BMW 320d Touring

Treasurer

Comment

Working...
                    X