No announcement yet.

MG Maestro Turbo 400 bhp My Blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• after doing some homework on google, BH Dynax S-50 was getting good reviews and lot vehicle restorers were using it, things have come along way in rust prevention, used waxoyl years ago on MK3 cortina sadly still rusted away!
    Bought 4 cans of S-40 hopefully that will be enough

this stuff i heard is good too, if i hadn't already bought the S-50 would of used this on inside of doors as it got clear coat.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bilt-Hambe...QAAOSwyQtV1e1w
    Last edited by charliecosworth; 28th December 2015, 09:49. Reason: wrong link
    MG Maestro turbo 437
    367 Bhp

Comment

• my old doors, just took me nearly 2 hours to remove just one door trim why didn't they use clips!!

the missus isn't happy either bent one of her sharp knifes
      MG Maestro turbo 437
      367 Bhp

Comment

• Originally posted by charliecosworth View Post
        my old doors, just took me nearly 2 hours to remove just one door trim why didn't they use clips!!

Looks nothing wrong with those from that picture Pete

the missus isn't happy either bent one of her sharp knifes
        I have one like that lol
        1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
        1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
        1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
        2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
        2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
        2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

• till you look in the right places they do look ok, for a 26 year rover i suppose they lasted well

MG Maestro turbo 437
          367 Bhp

Comment

• Ahh see it now. You keeping as spares Pete as ive seen worse?
            I use a paint scraper to remove door trims but always from underneath incase they get damaged
            1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
            1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
            1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
            2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
            2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
            2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

• Originally posted by charliecosworth View Post
              been playing with gearboxes today, fitted new uprated bearings and seals and changed my 5th gear from a diesel box, because i was using late Ti box fitted with Quaife diff which has correct speedo ring fitted.
              At 70mph would sit at 2,900 revs, did check with tomtom and speed was only 2mph out.

she wasn't happy state of living room!

top ones from diesel box note slightly smaller to make gearing longer

picture of diff

all done ready to fit, with new engine mounts!!
              job well done, hoping revs will sit around 2,200 now making it lot easier on the pocket, and motorway cruiser
              Hi Peter - can you remember the ratio of the 5th gear from diesel box? With wheel and tyre combination and gearing from turbo box with 6000rpm in top theoretical top speed would be 150mph. The 8v turbo engine wouldn't rev beyond 6k before something goes. I would like 165mph tops at 6k but looking to see what ratio that 5th gear is so I can run it through speed calculator.

www.mgmaestroturbo.com Home of the Twincharged Maestro.

2014 Vauxhall Mokka 4x4 Turbo - Tech line

Comment

• Hi Mike am not sure to be honest, the diesel 5th gear did give lot more higher speed, but made car horrible to drive would take a age for turbo kick in, the problem was revs to low whilst cruising at 70mph hence it didn't stay fitted long and wouldn't advise on it, am now using this gearbox bought off ebay new

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-ROVER-M...cAAOSwxCxT6NoM

from the Rover 2.5 KV6 model, need to swap speedo ring and driveshaft oil seals clutch arm, other than that straight swap, you lose little top end 153 on rolling road but pulls like a train, and at 70mph turbo is on the boil and kicks in straight away. hope that make sense.
                MG Maestro turbo 437
                367 Bhp

Comment

• Did you fit the Quaife lsd? and does the eBay box have steel caged bearings ? Also Peter would you have the gearing info at hand ?
                  cheers
                  mike.

Comment

• yes fitted Quaife lsd, doesn't have steel caged bearings but had them already on diff from last gearbox, so just swapped diff over, being the later box has the thicker main shaft and bearings just typing gearbox code in google should throw up ratios, there was a gearbox ratio calculator on one of rover websites.
                    MG Maestro turbo 437
                    367 Bhp

Comment

• Thanks Peter - eBay box very close to maestro turbo pg1 top gear ratio - so will be ideal for general runaround on public roads.
                      cheers
                      mike.

Comment

• Depends on which diesel box you used as to the ratio differs. Most common modern diesel boxes will be 0.648 (37/24) which is what is shown in the pic above.
                        www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                        www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                        www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

• Hi Dan - With the maestro turbo diff ratio etc. and 0.648 5th gear @ 6000rpm = 176.55 mph!!!!

I suspect revs will drop considerably from 4th to 5th as Peter describes causing huge turbo lag. That said what will it do with a supercharger spooling up a big turbo? Aerodynamics will be the main factor with the maestros brick like shape at that speed.

Comment

• Mike you could go 6 speed with one of these bad boys

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2722164290...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
                            MG Maestro turbo 437
                            367 Bhp

Comment

• One of those would be ideal Peter but a little pricey

I have thought about removing 4th gear completely and fitting 5th in its place then the new top gear would be the diesel cogs so the transition between the new 4th to 5th wouldn't be so apparent keeping the engine on song.

Just a thought lol.

Comment

• Okay scrap that thought and forget the diesel cogs as what Peter says. I want the new eBay KV6 box but its gearing can't reach 0/60 in 2nd (58mph @ 6krpm) and top speed is only 138mph @ 6krpm. I'm now thinking if I swap the final drive with maestro turbo diff it should give the desired speed in all gears like 0/62 in 2nd and 150+ in top. Is the diff a straight swap?

Comment

Working...
                                X