Colour: British Racing Green

No. Of Previous Owners: 2
    Last Owner Owned Since: 14th August 1998
    Date of Current Purchase: 4th January 2014
    Current Mileage: 96000
    Last presented for MOT: 17th December 2007 & Dry Stored Since
    All Previous MOT Certificates: Yes
    Miles Covered in Last 10 Years: 1,869.

My relationship with L849 RMK began in December 2013 via an eBay listing. After a two year Montego sabatical, I was once again looking for a nice, easy project that I could take some time over to make perfect. I had previously owned K334 RRL, a heavily restored Countryman that was part of the 2005 Austin Centenary Cavalcade. Since the disappearance of that car, I had always promised myself that I'd restore another.

10 years have passed since I purchased K334 RRL so I was not convinced there were any good projects out there. Usually, the standard of the late estates is pretty poor as they led a hard life and rusted pretty badly. This is why I sat up in my chair when I came across the auction for L849 RMK. From the initial pictures, I could see already that the car was way above average. Shiny BRG paintwork, intact wheelarches, doors and tailgate were all huge plus points. The car had also been off the road since 2007. This could explain why the car still exists, as had the previous owner sold the car in 2007, it would probably be scrapped by now.

I immediately pleaded with the owner to sell the car to me, and luckily for me, he agreed. After Christmas was out of the way, I arranged to hire a vehicle transporter to undertake the epic journey from Suffolk to Wales and back. It was a very dull, rainy and cold day. However, when we finally got there, all I wanted to do was get the car loaded up and head back home. Initial thoughts were that I had definitely found a good one. Heavy rain and poor visibility meant that even at rest stops, I couldn't really have a good look at the car.

It wasn't until the next day that I was able to throw a bucket of water over the car and see what I had acquired. Happily, all aspects of the shell were rust free. Sills, pillar joins, fuel filler pocket were all rock solid. The tailgate had been replaced in the last ten years and was like new. Both front wings were also rust free. All four doors had early stages of rust coming through and at this stage I am unsure as to whether they can be repaired or whether they will need to be replaced. The bonnet has rotted through on the leading edge so this will need replacing. The rear wheel arches are starting to go but are solid on the inside so replacement should be straight forward. I have already removed the fuel filler pipe to treat it and repaint it. I intend to clean up the underside and treat/repaint as necessary, although it is remarkably solid under there.

All in all I am very pleased with my new car. I have decided to store it further until next year while I collect parts and save up the funds required to get its body restored. This one is a keeper. I won't be selling it. I've regretting selling so many cars in the past and been heart broken when they haven't survived.

I'll update as and when I have little bits of news.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ed; 6th April 2014, 13:19.
    1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS x 2

MONTEGO - THE CAR THAT PUTS THE DRIVER FIRST

Relationship with your car Ed? Oh dear you have it bad mate
    Mind that exhaust pipe lol
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
      Relationship with your car Ed? Oh dear you have it bad mate
      Mind that exhaust pipe lol
      Haha, perhaps I should rephrase that!

Comment

The car looks great Ed and pleased you are keeping it, must be one of the best Countryman Estates left out there now.

Comment

Originally posted by MGMatt View Post
          The car looks great Ed and pleased you are keeping it, must be one of the best Countryman Estates left out there now.
          Both my old Countrymans are on sorn, lets hope theyr still as good as they were when i had them.

L786XGG and L239EVH.

As said previously Ed il be keeping an eye over this resto.

Comment

hi ed, good to see someone else restoring a countryman...look forward to seeing the updates!!!
            1993 rover montego countryman TD

Comment

RMK's Shopping List

It's going to be a while before I can get work started on this car but in the meantime, I will be collecting parts needed to make her a show-stopper. She will eventually be having a near on full strip down, glass out respray to make her one of the best late Montegos about. I will routinely hunt places like eBay/Rimmers for parts but if fellow members can help, all the better. Body parts required at the moment are as follows:

- New bronze tinted windscreen
              - New black genuine windscreen surround trim
              - Bonnet, brand new or very rust free secondhand
              - Doors, all four. Brand new or very rust free secondhand
              - Good quality rear wheel arch repair panels, both sides
              - New door rubbing stips, all four
              - New plastic trims for door tops & rear window surrounds
              - New tailgate screen trim surround
              - New "MONTEGO" badge for tailgate
              - New "2.0D" badge for tailgate
              - New "COUNTRYMAN" decals x 3
              - New Countryman pin-stipe, claret & gold
              - Late style sunroof glass with black shading on inside and rust free frame
              - Black bumper inserts, front and rear NOS

I'll update this post as and when parts are acquired or more are needed. Thanks guys.

Comment

I'd forgotten about this car. Can anyone spot it?
                Attached Files

Comment

I have now collected all necessary body panels to enable L849 RMK to be sent off to the bodyshop for a full respray. Can't wait!

4 x brand new doors ACQUIRED
                  2 x brand new rear wheel arches ACQUIRED
                  1 x brand new bonnet ACQUIRED

Next job is for the windscreen to be removed ready for the respray, followed by removal of roof-rails and the various exterior trim.

Watch this space!

Comment

montego

Yes ,dead easy to spot ,you havent hidden it very well ED.
                    Beware of strange Japanese waitress bearing fortune cookies

Comment

Top work Ed! I can't wait to see it finished

Comment

The car is now out of storage and being prepared for MOT. I've just spent a small fortune on service items, including water pump and timing belt/tensioner.

I'm also polishing up the paintwork to get it presentable for MOT.

Watch this space.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Looks great, hope it passed?

Ian
                          Ian Drew
                          MG Maestro Turbo '400'
                          MG ZT V8
                          Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

May I ask where you managed to get a new bronze tint windscreen from Edward?

Comment

Originally posted by ianf99 View Post
                              May I ask where you managed to get a new bronze tint windscreen from Edward?
                              I got mine replaced through Auto windscreens when mine cracked
                              Sure & steadfast.
                              BMC/BL Rally 2008.First prize 1980s onward.
                              1988 Montego Estate 1600L Atlantic Blue From new Daily runner
                              1979 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL Pagent Blue From new 76.000 milesNow out of Hibination and into Restoration

Comment

Working...
                              X