The restoration of #436

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The restoration of #436

For those who aren't aware, I bought #436 through Ebay as a blind purchase and with the aim of providing me with a restoration project after I retire next year. So since purchase and transportation from Birmingham to Sussex, not a lot has happened except I keep finding silly things wrong like the gear lever shortened, radio wiring cut and spliced, fuel filler flap lock missing, glove box body smashed, radio speaker wires cut, radio aerial missing – even the hole had been filled in!, drivers seat recline knob broken – seat is permanently semi-reclined, crease across the bottom of the spare wheel well – sign of a rear-end prang?, bonnet lock removed and bonnet pins fitted and the hazard lights switch broken. How and why these were in this state, I am at a loss to understand and I’m sure I will find more as I move on with the renovation.

So rather than have the car languish for a further 12 months before taking a spanner to it, my mind was moving towards carrying out the engine rebuild over this winter and while that was in progress, to get a good (and hopefully local) classic car bodyshop to attend to the sills, doors and other areas of tinworm. That could then give me a fighting chance of being able to drive the car on my retirement day, rather than pull it apart!

So last weekend I took the plunge and drained the engine of its vital fluids. Engine oil looked OK, if a bit thin. Gearbox oil was pink! And all of two pints of rusty water were all that came out of the cooling system!!. Radiator and hoses have now been removed and stored, as have the air filter, hoses and pipes to and from the intercooler. Now the engine bay looks a little more empty and accessible! Over the coming weekends, I shall remove all the remaining links between the engine and box to the engine bay, taking photos where I think I may forget how it was, when the time comes to put it all back together again. All new gaskets are ready and waiting for the engine, although cambelt and gearbox seals still need to be sourced. Oh, of course! There may well be the small need of a new crankshaft and shells.

Should that work prove to be too boring, then I have a replacement set of correct seats to strip down, get the covers cleaned and possibly embroidered with the ‘Turbo’ logo to give them (and the car) an air of exclusivity - as JeffTurbo did with his.

I'll put Part 2 up, once the engine is out and I know the state of what needs to be done there.
    Last edited by Sussex Pete; 30th September 2014, 19:58. Reason: typo
    Membership Secretary
    Join the M&MOC | Printable Club Flyer (PDF)

1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 (To keep me occupied in retirement)
    2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid(Daily run-around)
    1974 Austin Allegro Semi-works Rally Car

You know you are getting old when your knees buckle and your belt doesn't

Good luck Pete!
    From experience ..... take lots of photos as you take it all apart, for future reference!
    :-)
    cheers
    John

Comment

good luck with your project.will you post pixs of how it looked when you picked the car up from birmingham and how you progress.

Comment

Sign of it been looked after having pink gearbox oil. Thats the proper MG rover spec stuff.
        MG Maestro Turbo #500
        BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
        Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
        Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
          Sign of it been looked after having pink gearbox oil. Thats the proper MG rover spec stuff.
          Thanks Andy. Hadn't realised that. I was sure I had read somewhere that gearboxes use normal multigrade oil rather than high viscosity, so was expecting the usual brown type colouring as came out of the sump.
          Membership Secretary

Comment

Good luck with it Pete.... some pics would be great.

www.mgmaestroturbo.com Home of the Twincharged Maestro.

2014 Vauxhall Mokka 4x4 Turbo - Tech line

Comment

Hmmm ...gearbox oil?

Originally posted by Sussex Pete View Post
              Thanks Andy. Hadn't realised that. I was sure I had read somewhere that gearboxes use normal multigrade oil rather than high viscosity, so was expecting the usual brown type colouring as came out of the sump.
              Yes, I've seen in the Haynes Workshop Manual, and elsewhere, reference to putting 10/40 multigrade engine oil in the gearbox to "maintain Rover Warranty" Not that this applies to a 19 year old Montego...!

So,
              Question 1- do you MMOC folk use 10/40 for both engine and gearboxes now ....
              and
              Question 2 - is 10/40 multigrade the same as 10/40 semi synthetic that you see on the shelves? Don't seem to see any 10/40 multigrade on any 5L containers in the shops!

Thanks in advance
              John

- Sorry to change topic of the thread slightly - perhaps should start a new one?

Comment

Originally posted by grout20 View Post
                Yes, I've seen in the Haynes Workshop Manual, and elsewhere, reference to putting 10/40 multigrade engine oil in the gearbox to "maintain Rover Warranty" Not that this applies to a 19 year old Montego...!

So,
                Question 1- do you MMOC folk use 10/40 for both engine and gearboxes now ....
                and
                Question 2 - is 10/40 multigrade the same as 10/40 semi synthetic that you see on the shelves? Don't seem to see any 10/40 multigrade on any 5L containers in the shops!

Thanks in advance
                John

- Sorry to change topic of the thread slightly - perhaps should start a new one?
                And even what is the pink "genuine MG Rover stuff" that Andy was alluding to?
                Membership Secretary

Comment

Genuine rover gearbox oil (MTF94) is golden coloured not pink. If the gearbox oil is red there is a fair chance someone has put ATF in there instead.

MTF94 is the recommended oil these days
                  10w40 can be used but needs changing regularly. (40k interval I think).

If you have a torsen diff (non standard) then you should use MTF94 to ensure it works properly.
                  www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                  www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                  www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-...Fa7KtAodnT0AKA

The above is the same stuff I put in mine when originally re-commissioning the car and its definitely a red/pink color. Which both me and the mechanic that works on the car thought was strange but it was. If anyone orders the above let me know the color please.

The comma mtf94 I put in after the proper MG Rover oil was golden colored.
                    MG Maestro Turbo #500
                    BMW 335I M Sport Convertible
                    Subaru Impreza Hawkeye Wagon
                    Rover 218vvc Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by E_T_V View Post
                      Genuine rover gearbox oil (MTF94) is golden coloured not pink. If the gearbox oil is red there is a fair chance someone has put ATF in there instead.

If you have a torsen diff (non standard) then you should use MTF94 to ensure it works properly.
                      This is the colour of the oil that came out of my gearbox (the shade is probably more accurate at the bottom off the pic than at the top):
                      Attached Files
                      Membership Secretary

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Brock View Post
                        Good luck with it Pete.... some pics would be great.
                        OK! Here Goes - the first is as sold, with the state of the engine bay at that time. The final one is how it was before I started work last weekend. I'll do a couple more general shots this weekend, as all other pics I've taken have been of the 'memory jogger' type ready for reassembly!
                        Attached Files
                        Membership Secretary

Comment

Originally posted by E_T_V View Post

Hi again everyone, a follow up question from me ....

Is the MTF94 (the "genuine rover gearbox oil") the one to use in the 5 speed Montego 1991 vintage gearbox?

At the back of my mind I seem to have read the 5 speeder was a Honda manufactured gearbox. So should THAT one have the 10/40 engine oil not the MTF94...

Thanks again in advance folks!
                          John

Comment

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-...Fa7KtAodnT0AKA

The above is the same stuff I put in mine when originally re-commissioning the car and its definitely a red/pink color. Which both me and the mechanic that works on the car thought was strange but it was. If anyone orders the above let me know the color please.

The comma mtf94 I put in after the proper MG Rover oil was golden colored.
                            Mine was also from Rimmers but in the 5 litre can rather than the 1 litre bottle. Definitely golden coloured in mine.

I've not come across the pink stuff before but if it in a bottle labelled mtf94 then it'll be fine.
                            www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
                            www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
                            www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Looking well as is Pete - I see it has early montego turbo intercooler pipes. Will you be returning the wheels back to standard cross spokes? I have full sets of 5.5J and 6.0J if your looking? Another one getting restored - good stuff!

www.mgmaestroturbo.com Home of the Twincharged Maestro.

2014 Vauxhall Mokka 4x4 Turbo - Tech line

Comment

Working...
                              X