1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS - B756 XBW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick update:

The seats, carpet and soundproofing have been removed to reveal an exceptionally clean and rust free floor pan. The scuttle panel that the bottom of the windscreen bonds to is also rust free as is the bulkhead where the front drainage points are which is also great news. Sills are rock solid and all body seams in the door shut areas are good.

So far, some localised welding is required inside the boot, at the top of the suspension turrets and two small patches both sides behind the rear seat. I will get these areas done as soon as possible so that I know the shell is structurally sound. There is evidence that the car has had an historic shunt at the back. The existing rear bumper is full of fibre glass repairs, and the rear panel is crumpled, although this has been straightened out. I am not happy with the alignment of the rear lights/bootlid etc so I may look to having the rear panel replaced. As far as the rest of the body is concerned, any future restoration will just involve the usual rear wheel arches, doors etc. So nothing too sinister.

The engine is still seized. It has had diesel soaking in the bores for the last week and I will again attempt to free it off over the Easter break. Should this not be possible, I will start to dismantle bits and pieces in order to remove the cylinder head and look for clues.

This car is currently number three in the queue for restoration so it will be a while before any major work is done, but I'd like to get the welding done, and engine running in the meantime.
    1985 Austin Montego 2.0HLS x 2

MONTEGO - THE CAR THAT PUTS THE DRIVER FIRST

Comment

Picture of the floor...
      Attached Files

Comment

And another...
        Attached Files

Comment

While it is all out have you thought about improving the soundproofing?
          www.maestroturbo.org.uk - The Tickford Maestro Turbo Register
          www.rover200.org.uk - The Rover 200/400 (R8) Owners Club
          www.roverdiesel.co.uk - My Rover Diesel Site

Comment

Originally posted by E_T_V View Post
            While it is all out have you thought about improving the soundproofing?
            Yes definitely. I have been thinking about upgrading it. The old stuff is so thin and brittle.

Comment

At the beginning of May, I sent a V888 form to the DVLA with a fee of £5 for copies or all data they had on this car. It has been a long wait but this morning, a large envelope landed on the mat full of paperwork relating to this car. This really is the best fiver I have ever spent. I now know the supplying dealer, and all seven previous owners in its 30 year life.

The supplying dealer was Hartwells of Oxford Ltd and it was sold to another dealer called Youngs Garages (Woodstock) Ltd who became the first owner on 25th April 1985. On 8th November 1985, it passed to Charles Clark Walsall Ltd, another garage who is listed as owning it for only one day! On 9th November 1985 is was sold to a company called John Reynolds & Son (Birmingham) Ltd. I believe this company only ceased trading this year.

The car’s first private owner bought the car from John Reynolds & Son on 16th December 1987 and held on to the car until 16th January 1995 as the car was approaching ten years old and was acquired by its fifth owner. The fifth owner traded it in to Cathedral Cars, Coventry in October 1996, and the sixth owner acquired it on 6th November 1996 before passing it to its last owner on 10th November 1997, almost 18 years ago.

It’s been fascinating to read through all the documentation, and it has given this car, which came to me with no history at all, a complete picture of where it has been in the thirty years before it landed on my doorstep.

This car keeps finding ways of endearing itself to me...

Comment

the DVLA information for a fiver is unbelievable value - I've done it for one of my cars and it was great - like you I had no history, now I know its story from 1978 to date....
                CURRENT FLEET:
                1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
                1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
                1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
                2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
                1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

Comment

I've just taken a look on the DVLA webpage regarding the V888. What reason did you guys put down? Is it enough reason just to say that you consider the car a classic and you are compiling it's past for historic reasons?

Cheers,

Ian
                  Ian Drew
                  MG Maestro Turbo '400'
                  MG ZT V8
                  Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Originally posted by ian drew View Post
                    I've just taken a look on the DVLA webpage regarding the V888. What reason did you guys put down? Is it enough reason just to say that you consider the car a classic and you are compiling it's past for historic reasons?

Cheers,

Ian
                    That's pretty much what I said Ian. Just that its a classic car and I was compiling a history file for it. It wasn't questioned at all.

Comment

Everything ground to a halt on this project last year due to unforeseen circumstances, however, it is still tucked away safely in storage waiting for the day that something positive can be done with it.

Comment

As long as it's not rusting away somewhere at least it'll increase in value!

Ian
                        Ian Drew
                        MG Maestro Turbo '400'
                        MG ZT V8
                        Rover 75 V6 Estate

Comment

Working...
                        X