MG Montego Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MG Montego Restoration

I am well on with my MG Montego restoration and feel a little ashamed I haven't put much on here, hence here will be my restoration thread! I've never done a thread of my own before so I am not sure what you will be interested in so if you want to see / hear more or indeed less on any particular bits just let me know!
    I bought the car a while ago as I have always had a passion for them, I have owned various Maestros and Montegos before and wanted a turbo as a project. It got parked in my garage and with a combination of work commitments, health issues and various other time consuming matters the restoration started very slowly, hopefully now though things will get moving quickly.
    The car had been parked up for 4 or 5 years with a blown head gasket, it is a one owner car and extremely original. The rear arches are rotten, the sills are rusty but the rest of the shell is surprisingly pretty good. When it arrived here the engine was seized, I have tried to free it off, diesel down the plug holes, weekly nudging on the crank bolt but nothing has worked. The interior was wet, so much so that it has rotted the rear seat cloth and the headlining is hanging down. The dash is good.

So in the past 12 months all I have done is remove the front wings, headlights, bonnet, bumper and front panel along with the interior. I have removed the front suspension, O/S driveshaft and wishbone. I have now started to strip the engine bay and I have had the cylinder head off to see why in 12 months I haven't been able to turn it. I will post a picture to show the reason!!

So here is the reason why the engine wouldn't turn!! I always knew the engine would be pretty much shot. I would like to say a massive thank you to Ray for the engine and the turbo block. (And everything else Ray!) it is now very apparent they will be needed.

Comment

This is the oil filler tube showing it's age!

Comment

Evidence of mice at some point in the engine bay, teeth marks and a little nest on top of the turbo.

Comment

Looks a good project engine wise Gavin, any pics of the rest of the car?
          1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
          1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
          1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
          2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
          2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
          2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

Picked these up, six new obviously old stock 190/65R365 which are the correct size for the Montego turbo of that age. I will probably use the metric rims when going to shows but may use the later (incorrect) style 15" for weekend use.

Comment

As it's in bits I can't really get any flattering photos for you Jeff! I have taken the original head and the block and engine from Ray to the machine shop today, they are going to see what can be salvaged (I am sure the original block is no use as the rust inside the bores is quite thick). Hopefully I will end up with the original head, the recon block with the turbo pistons, fingers crossed!!
              Last edited by G4GLM; 9th May 2017, 16:40.

Comment

Comment

looks like a early model MG turbo you have very nice, would of thought it be harder getting a block rather than cylinder head.
                  you might get away with just a rebore of the block.
                  MG Maestro turbo 437
                  367 Bhp

Comment

Thank you, it's a 1986. According to the engine guy my cylinder head is ok, a light skim and a bit of tlc and it should be fine. My block is U/S. it has sat with water in the bores far too long. I sourced a genuine turbo block with crank, con rods and pistons along with a complete efi engine from Ray. I am pretty sure I will have everything I need for a complete engine, hopefully with some bits left over to pass on. I am planning on having my turbo rebuilt, new exhaust (stainless??) and new or recon ancillaries. Oh and I have a mate who recons gearboxes so will be calling in a favour there! Once the mechanicals get sorted I will be concentrating on the bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by G4GLM View Post
                      As it's in bits I can't really get any flattering photos for you Jeff! I have taken the original head and the block and engine from Ray to the machine shop today, they are going to see what can be salvaged (I am sure the original block is no use as the rust inside the bores is quite thick). Hopefully I will end up with the original head, the recon block with the turbo pistons, fingers crossed!!
                      Looks a major project there Gavin. I do have 2 spare turbo engines if you need one.
                      1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
                      1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
                      1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
                      2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
                      2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
                      2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

I have been in touch with several car upholstery manufacturers and cannot source anything like the dimpled velour sections. I really don't know what to do as finding a good replacement will be like hens teeth and I want to keep it as original as possible! Anyway, lots of spannery bits to worry about first.

Comment

It certainly is Jeff, I haven't been too good of late so need something to keep me occupied, this is certainly doing that! Thanks for the offer Jeff, I should know if I have everything by the end of next week. The guy who bought my old black car is looking for an engine, can you pm me some more details please?

Comment

its a good project, but you will soon realise there money pits :-) but worth it
                            MG Maestro turbo 437
                            367 Bhp

Comment

Originally posted by charliecosworth View Post
                              its a good project, but you will soon realise there money pits :-) but worth it
                              Oh yes, I completed a 1962 MG Midget a couple of years ago and a Sierra XR4 last year, cost me a fortune! I also have a recently purchased MG Maestro which I haven't really started on yet but it's already cost me far more than I will admit to the wife!!

Comment

Working...
                              X