My family history of racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My family history of racing

I posted this on facebook ages ago, but a lot of you aren't on so I'll post it here too:

This awesome pic is Philip Stanley, not me, my Grandfather, (I was named after him). He was a member of the Seven fifty club in the very early days. This is him in his Austin 7 special he built. I didn't even know of this when I chose an early austin maestro to modify but I was following my family tradition. Being such an early car these guys were inventing the modifying scene. He was a cool guy, and one who definately passed on the petrol head bloodline in generous proportions!

Do you have anymore info on him or the car? Great pic btw
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible. I love this car
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive. Fab cruiser being restored
    1997 Jaguar Xk8 Convertible. Such a fab car
    2003 MGZT V8. BRG and new project
    2004 MGZT cdti. Great workhorse
    2004 MGZT V8. Black I love this car

Comment

I should have snapped a few pics of some of the pics I saw today, There were a few booklets of events he competed in, I think his favourite events were shorter sprint races, he had a trick rear axle he'd run a very thin oil on which would literally drip out slowly and only last a few laps before it had all leaked out!

The car benefitted from a front axle that was fitted upside down to give the lower stance, he did something to the rear, I'll ask father as that has been lowered too. The front profile of the car is sleeker than most and that was thanks to a proper thermosyphon system using a standard radiator mounted flat, they had a header tank mounted in the cockpit so no one could see it. (In the true style of motorsport, hiding it from your competitors!)

The engine had a special cam, an alexander head, i'm not sure on much else. He competed as P. E. Stanley, from the late fourties to i'm thinking mid fifties? Not to sure there really.

He completed alongside Colin Chapman, so he was in good company.

Being a farmer all his life he didn't have the money to develop much beyond this, and once full on modified engines and cars came onto the circuit his car wasn't that competitive. He throughly enjoyed it and I think that was the main spirit of him joining!

Comment

Working...
      X