No announcement yet.

MG Maestro Trialing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

theres a firm in devon/cornwall area that sells new old stock Maestro windscreens. I found it on ebay

Comment

There's a place called The Maestro & Montego Owners Club who have them in stock too!

Comment

Well iv managed to split the new steering gaiter trying to get it to fit. Really tight fit when you cant get to them. only got the passenger one on cause the gearbox was out. So iv ordered a universal one so i can cut it to size. Iv made up a bumper bracket to replace the broken driver side one and have beefed up both of them to hopefully stop them sagging. Iv also slackened off the handbrake cable and iv ordered a pair of wheel cylinders so hopefully il have working brakes. Those adjusters will be the death of me.
        Iv also ordered the headgasket aswell for when that job needs doing. Need a iron infusion tomorrow so hopefully il start feeling abit better and can get more done.

Comment

Head gasket set, wheel cylinders and steering gaiters have turned up.

Comment

Brakes are sorted. Head ready to come off, well is off apart from the exhaust flange. I cant get to the 3rd stud easily. The other 2 have snapped off. But that wont be a problem when it removed to drill out. I was hoping the exhaust was just gonna come off at the ball joints.
            The head bolts were very hard to undo. had to soak them in wd40.

Will have another go tomorrow when iv rested at that damn stud.

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

New steering gaiter.

[IMG][/IMG]

New bumper mount, also braced up.

Beefed up original mount.

New cooling fan, even fitted on the maestro mounts.

Undersealed and waxoyled front crossmember. It will be covered up by the sump guard.

They came loose no problems.

Comment

well after hours and hours i finally managed to get the manifold free from the exhaust flange so the head could come off. Yes they all snapped in the end so lots of drilling out tomorrow. The manifolds came off the head ok. The 2 end studs were rotton and fell off and one snapped in the middle. Gonna try the extractors tomorrow. hopefully they will help. My hand slipped yesterday disconnecting the last injector and it pulled the wire off Is it just a lucky guess when i solder the wires back on?

[IMG][/IMG]
                [IMG][/IMG]
                [IMG][/IMG]
                [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

There were 2 corroded studs on the exhaust, the ones at the ends. And one snapped as i was undoing. All drilled out and new threads tapped in. Also had to drill out the exhaust manifold flange studs. These will just be replaced with nuts and bolts.

Comment

I spent ages filing down the exhaust manifold because it was corroded. Nice and flat and smooth now! the heads back on, so is the timing belt. Just gotta put the wires back on and water pipes, then fingers crossed that she'll start! I painted the metal pipe behind the head and also the servo as they had surface rust. Il take some more pictures tomorrow.

Comment

Got it all back together and running. Exhaust to manifold joint so il have to put some exhaust paste onit. New windscreen coming next wednesday at 9 £100 +vat tho. But will save me doing it. Struggling to get it into gear so looks like the box willbe coming out again as iv been playing around with different cables. Front bumper painted and fitted, so is the new rear door, just need some red paint, think the code is cne which is targa red. Bleed the brakes with the new cylinders tho the pedal reaches the floor. Replacement master cyclinder maybe? Great having a working handbrake tho.

Steve

Comment

Well the new windscreen has been fitted and the cars looking a million times better, thought i better paint up the wiper arms aswell. The exhaust manifold has started blowing again on the head so i have removed the engine this time to save taking the head off. Clutch is playing up again aswell. Needs a new release bearing and i think the fork is damaged from when the last one went. Engine was very easy for me remove this way. Iv twisted my ankle badly yesterday so slow progress at this moment in time. Tho im really keen to get back to it.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
                        [IMG][/IMG]
                        [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Iv just put the engine and gearbox in, im gonna clean out the radiator so have left this out for the moment. Still struggling for a clutch. Im thinking my spare cables are knackered aswell. To get it moving iv put a socket on at the lever end to take some of the slack out.

Comment

Now for sale?

MG Maestro Trial Car No RESERVE Classic Trials Austin Hill Climbe Road Rally
                            http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-Maestro...:SS:SS:GB:3160

Comment

Sell fell through which im seeing as a sign to keep her. Just need to make it really reliable.

Cars way of rewarding me was to decide it needs a new steering powersteering pump. It had a slight weep but the pulley has play to much play on it. So if any one has a good one going cheap I will be interested.

Steven

Comment

Just replaced the rubber steering pipe from the rack to the to the metal pipe. I used the rubber hose off an old ka. Should hopefully work as I think its the return.

Comment

Working...
                                X