mg6 - is it a flop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mg6 - is it a flop?

i've not seen an MG6 on the road yet - has anyone else? seems to me its not doing very well... i suppose lack of dealers doesn't help... they should have kept some sort of rover production going to maintain the dealer network if nothing else....
    CURRENT FLEET:
    1986 (C) Montego 1.6 HL Estate - Owned since Feb 2011
    1990 (H) Maestro 1.3 LX -Owned since December 2001
    1978 (T) Chrysler Avenger 1.6GL - Owned since April 2011
    2006 (06) Ford Focus Titanium 1.8 TDCi - Owned since Feb 2007
    1972 (L) - Hillman Avenger 1500 Super - Owned Since July 2012

Originally posted by H48HPE View Post
    i've not seen an MG6 on the road yet - has anyone else? seems to me its not doing very well... i suppose lack of dealers doesn't help... they should have kept some sort of rover production going to maintain the dealer network if nothing else....
    How can they do that Rover went bust 7 years ago? Tata own the Rover name now too.
    I have a customer with one & a few guys on the Britcars forum have them.

Comment

it might have gone bust but the chinese bought the rights to the rover range didn't they? - so they could have kept some sort of production going - not Rover badged but could have maintained MG badging. the 75 proably had a bit more life in it.

i could be wrong, but i thought the chinese firm decided to halt production till the new cars were ready, rather than keep some sort of production going
      CURRENT FLEET:

Comment

Have you sales figures? They are in single figures per month. Apart Fron the 109 they gave to Avis last month.

A few have come up for auction with no bids!

That being said. I'd own one of I had that much spare cash

Comment

there's been no publicity campaign on tv or radio - I doubt your average buyer even knows they are available.

I get the impression that they're not really that interested in european sales, unless they're waiting to get a couple more models out before they make a push?
          CURRENT FLEET:

Comment

I've not met anyone out of enthusiasts circles who's actually heard of them.
            Never ever seen one.
            But if I made a car and never advertised it, it probably wouldn't sell or be widely known about either.
            Not sure what the Chinese are playing at to be honest.
            Regards
            John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
            MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

MG have apparently toured the country promoting the brand, though I don't think that reached as far north as Manchester... They've also just entered the BTCC with the MG6, but even then that doesn't have a huge following. The car itself is great and I shall be interested in buying one in a couple of years when prices have fallen. It needs to be promoted better, one television advert shown for two weeks is not enough. I also think dropping the TF without a suitable replacement was unwise...
              Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
              VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
              J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Comment

I've seen a few MG 6s on the road, I saw a silver one a few months ago looked very nice. I have seen a small MG dealer by Honda, MINI, Peugeot, Volvo and a few others.

MG 6 looks brilliant.

Comment

I have seen three in Bristol. They were all different colours so I know it wasn't the same car. There is no dealer in the city so I was surprised to see them. I did notice that on the two that I saw from behind, there was an MG.CO.UK sticker on the boot, so I presume they were demonstrators. There was no other advertising though.

Do we know for certain that they were given to AVIS? I assumed they got a discount, but the post above implies they were free!

Much has been written about the odd way this car has been launched - but it really is a great example of 'How not to launch a new car'.

Comment

I have'nt seen any of these cars on the road at all but do recall seeing a hoarding advertisement for it last year, with the slogan like 'Be the dad the other kids want' was it? One that's hardly ever around and in the pub all the time then maybe lol!!!

Comment

it might have gone bust but the chinese bought the rights to the rover range didn't they? - so they could have kept some sort of production going - not Rover badged but could have maintained MG badging. the 75 proably had a bit more life in it.

i could be wrong, but i thought the chinese firm decided to halt production till the new cars were ready, rather than keep some sort of production going
                      They did keep production but in China lol & I think back in 2005 the whole scenario with the collapse of MGR & the sale of it & everything else etc was a complete sham/conspiricy/cover up etc that no one will ever be sure as to what!

The Chinese do seem to be dragging their heels somewhat or at least out of China anyway!

Comment

there's been no publicity campaign on tv or radio - I doubt your average buyer even knows they are available.

I get the impression that they're not really that interested in european sales, unless they're waiting to get a couple more models out before they make a push?
                        This is pretty much spot on (unfortunately).

Comment

Avis are buying 500 apparently!

Comment

Seeing as the brand has ben sold off to china and all links to, local, english cars built in Birmingham have gone I don't understand the loyalty to it now. It is a chinese car using the poorest Rover engine.

Asthetically to me the MG6 looks like a modern car, a focus or mondeo. I'd rather hanker after a modern Morgan, something that is still made here and retains that ecentricity of the land rather than a typical modern car with a familiar badge slapped on the front. The MG6 might have the gloss of secondary production in england but it is not a brittish car.

My maestro gains nods from many people from all walks, not because it is british or because they necessarily know what power it runs. It has a look that is unique, it has that ecentricity. A pointed angular stance we can recognise as one of it's own. It isn't trying to be one of the crowd and it doesn't want anyone to follow it.

Try saying that about an MG6, then convince yourself you are talking the truth, if you are convinced by what you just said you missed your true vocation! You should be President or Actor!

Comment

There are some round here.

But, I am quite near to the MG owners club HQ that sells them.
                              My name is Darren.
                              Home of a Maestro for 30 years.
                              1983(Y)Maestro 1.3 HLE (Nellie) Very poorly
                              1995 Rover 214SI
                              2004 MG ZS 120
                              2006 LandRover 90 TD5
                              2014 Volvo V40 T3 R-Design.

Comment

Working...
                              X