X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

seen loads round here longbridge .. think the touring car looks realy good

maestro turbo no 498

Comment

I've seen a couple, seen a few new TF's, too. I quite like them tbh, I think the Magnette (saloon) looks awesome. AFAIK a diesel is in the works for release this year, which will hopefully boost sales no end, probably from a marketing point of view is why they have joined the BTCC this year.

What i can't understand though is why people moan that it doesn't look like an MG. So what? Focus Rs's look naff all like a 3-door Sierra Cosworth (no doubt Andy will slap a whaletail on his someday soon). If MG's were supposed to look like MG's we'd all be drving TD's and turning the steering wheels with our tits and basically look like a bunch of ker-nobs. Not to mention the Ford's guy's all driving Model T doctors coupes!

Comment

Last September whilst waiting for the car to be serviced at a former MG Rover dealership in East Devon, I was walking around Budleigh Salterton when I literally stumbled across their national road show in the pay 'n' display car park.

Bearing in mind it was very busy with tourists, the two MG6 demonstrators were simply parked up with two employees sat on the grass verge by the car. The only way I knew it was part of the MG roadshow was a) it had been mentioned on another website I regularly visit b) the cars were Birmingham registered and had graphics along the body's sides, and c) there were sales brochures on the windscreen.

Admittedly the car did not stand out in the car park but at least the two employees and I had a great chat about the MG Rover Group and Rover Group eras and some of the great cars made back then.

I did say I was surprised they had come to Budleigh Salterton rather than the middle of a busy shopping centre such as in Exeter. The reply was that they have to get permission to put on a display in a city centre (naturally) and will have to pay some money (as expected). Then again, if local dealers selling Far Eastern marques that don't sell that well in the South West can do it, then why can't MG Motor UK Ltd? The MG6 is far too big and not grand enough for the predominantly wealthy retired who live in Budleigh Salterton and still like their Metros and R3 Rover 200s.

A wasted opportunity. And no, I did not like the MG6 either.
        Last edited by David3500; 30th March 2012, 20:31.

Comment

Originally posted by David3500 View Post
          The reply was that they have to get permission to put on a display in a city centre (naturally) and will have to pay some money (as expected).
          That is indeed an odd reply. During the Phoenix era, Bristol's local MG dealer used to display its cars in the shopping centre in the middle of Bristol. If they could do that, why not the new MG Motor UK? In fact MG have recently displayed the MG TF and MG6 in other shopping centres including indoor malls.

It's a very bizarre launch. It seems some of the mistakes of the Phoenix era are being repeated - such as the 'let's go racing approach'. I would suspect that Kia's approach (sponsoring Take Me Out on Saturday night TV, massive TV advertising and internet campaign) will sell more cars than MG visiting a few Pay and Display car parks in small seaside towns.

Comment

well they don't seem to have done any advertising at all up here.
            Not billboards, malls or anything.
            I could stand in my highstreet tomorrow, canvas 100 people at random, and I'd bet my month's salary that no-one would have heard of the MG6.
            In contrast round here is absolutely teeming with MG Rovers, everything from basic 25s to ZTTs. ZRs are the most common, ZTTs the least.
            Regards
            John Orrell

MG Maestro Turbos 396 and 502
            MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Ive just seen one yesterday for the first time on the M53 near Birkenhead to me they just look like any other modern car , very dull and boring

Comment

I'm currently at the BTCC meeting at Brands Hatch, and they are really pushing it - large stand right next to main entrance with 5 MG6's on, large and fancy Tesco/KX stand with one on doing a draw to win an MG6, plus others selling MG merchandise. Very big profile compared to the other teams

Sent from the museum of BL tat using Tapatalk

Comment

They'd be better off establishing a decent dealer-network which isn't one every sixty miles (or more). And advertising.
                  Regards
                  John Orrell

MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Originally posted by countrydude View Post
                    Seeing as the brand has ben sold off to china and all links to, local, english cars built in Birmingham have gone I don't understand the loyalty to it now. It is a chinese car using the poorest Rover engine.

Asthetically to me the MG6 looks like a modern car, a focus or mondeo. I'd rather hanker after a modern Morgan, something that is still made here and retains that ecentricity of the land rather than a typical modern car with a familiar badge slapped on the front. The MG6 might have the gloss of secondary production in england but it is not a brittish car.

My maestro gains nods from many people from all walks, not because it is british or because they necessarily know what power it runs. It has a look that is unique, it has that ecentricity. A pointed angular stance we can recognise as one of it's own. It isn't trying to be one of the crowd and it doesn't want anyone to follow it.

Try saying that about an MG6, then convince yourself you are talking the truth, if you are convinced by what you just said you missed your true vocation! You should be President or Actor!
                    Totaly agree with the above. I have a monty efi with W.P bodykit and mgf trophy and a mgzt190 and they all have character compared to the everyday focus looking car and im sorry to say but for me the closure of MgRover was the end. Im not buying anything from China even though ive been loyal to the MG and Rover marques in the past. The MG6 says nothing to me about MG it wouldnt even have passed in refinment as a Rover either, if you look at the car and picture it with a Kia badge it doesnt look out of place as thats the mainstream car that it is.

Comment

well done to MG in the BTCC 4th, 3rd and a 1st. Made Honda look up and take notice, in the 1st 2nd and 3rd rounds to BTCC.

Much more to come i hope

Comment

MG6 is it a flop?
                        Not if your name's Jason Plato!

Comment

Originally posted by matthewsemple View Post
                          Not if your name's Jason Plato!

Now that looks more like an MG!

Comment

Good result for the team and Plato.
                            But only a tiny fraction of people watch BTCC.
                            Now they've achieved something, go out there and shove the car down everyone's throats and make people want to buy it.
                            I don't think there's been an MG-badged car so under-publicised since the MG Maestro Turbo was launched 23 years ago. Maybe the RV8, but that's only because most of them had been pre-sold to the Japs before they'd even rolled off the production line (or so I heard)
                            Regards
                            John Orrell

MG ZT190+ (53 plate)

Comment

Originally posted by henocsr View Post
                              well done to MG in the BTCC 4th, 3rd and a 1st. Made Honda look up and take notice, in the 1st 2nd and 3rd rounds to BTCC.

Much more to come i hope
                              The car just got better and better as the day went on - Plato was awesome in the last one, carving up the field. I don't think the car is quite right though as it looked twitchy at times. I think it will be unstoppable in a couple of meetings' time

I was sitting surrounded by Honda fans and had the urge to sing "you're not singing anymore" at the end lol. I was also there with 2 mates who think Toyota is the dogs, shut them up too !

Comment

This is excellent news for promoting MG. But. There needs to be more options available once people have been pointed in the direction of the dealerships. Still no diseasel, still no MG3 or MG5, no TF replacement...
                                Steve Worsley

R514 RVJ - 1998 Rover Maestro 1.3 - Restoration
                                VX12 EBG - 2012 MG-6 GT 1.8T SE - Stored
                                J209 PEL - 1991 Rover Maestro 1.3 Clubman - Running

Comment

Working...
                                X